1/6 Hot Toys - Infinity War- Rocket and Groot set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought mine second hand and the seller was nice enough to send a video of him going through the leg joints. It's hit or miss and even when I posted my want ad for one a friend texted me immediately telling me about the issues to look out for so thankfully I was aware when the seller messaged me to ask if it had the issues.

Anyways, thank you man.

Review:

Seems like a hit or miss. Man, I'm afraid with my luck I will get one with broken legs.

Got a waitlist conversion for the two pack, but I'm still on the fence with so many teen groot issues. :gah: how are your guys' holding up so far? I'd like to add these to the collection, just don't feel like going back and forth with sideshow for replacements. If there even are any at this point...

I was on the fence about Groot as well. I should of purchased when SS had it for 10% off with free shipping. You mind I ask how much did the shipping cost for the set?

Groot is a must have for me. I'm sure GOTG3 he will be already grown.

Definitely something up with the solo Groot. I had my figure in a generic straight up and down pose. Recently I had noticed that the knee joint was off to the side so I went to pick it up to straighten it out and just lifting the figure up the leg just fell right on up out the socket. Mind you I have never posed this figure since I've owned it. It was broken at the peg on that ball joint. Long story short, I got myself some of that JB Weld Plastic Bonder I've read about and will use it to fix the issue whenever I make some time.

Definitely something up with the solo Groot. I had my figure in a generic straight up and down pose. Recently I had noticed that the knee joint was off to the side so I went to pick it up to straighten it out and just lifting the figure up the leg just fell right on up out the socket. Mind you I have never posed this figure since I've owned it. It was broken at the peg on that ball joint. Long story short, I got myself some of that JB Weld Plastic Bonder I've read about and will use it to fix the issue whenever I make some time.

Damn, that sucks to hear.

Seems like a hit or miss. Man, I'm afraid with my luck I will get one with broken legs.

I was on the fence about Groot as well. I should of purchased when SS had it for 10% off with free shipping. You mind I ask how much did the shipping cost for the set?

Groot is a must have for me. I'm sure GOTG3 he will be already grown.

Funny enough they actually honored the same free shipping deal that they had on them before selling out. So that pushed me to order. Here's hoping theres no issues with groot.

I seem to remember reading something earlier in this thread about the clam shell packaging for the solo Groot being a little too small. It added pressure from top to bottom, which in some cases caused the pegs in some of the legs to break. This wasn't supposed to be an issue in the 2 pack with Rocket. That's the one I got and it's never been a problem.

Yeah I recall that as well regarding the clam shell that the solo Groots came in. I'm pretty sure this plastic bonder will work, just have not got around to it yet. I wished I'd settled for the 2-pack just for the gun that Rocket came with. I'll see if I can track a 2-pack down and if so, I'll just go all in and glue Stormbreaker to the defective Groot's arm. haha. Make it movie accurate for that Nidavellir scene.

Just received my groot yesterday and I just opened it up to inspect it. Right leg popped out of the socket. Clamshell doesnt seem to small for the figure. Only concern I have is bending the right arm since its stiff. Left arm is okay. Other than the price of this figure, it's a must for my collection. Without him there wouldn't be a stormbreaker.

20190629_104558.jpg

You have to be very very gentle with the joints at first. Glad yours only popped off the socket and didn’t break. He really is an amazing figure.

You have to be very very gentle with the joints at first. Glad yours only popped off the socket and didn’t break. He really is an amazing figure.

Once I picked up the figure from the clamshell the leg fell off. Glad I saw the joint intact and able to pop the leg back on. I moved each joint, still need to carefully bend the right elbow. Groot is an awesome display piece. $194 shipped is kinda on the higher side but I'm happy I got it.

Not that anyone’s probably still checking this thread but I finally got around to moding this to what I really wanted it to be.
View attachment 471256

Ok, that absolutely rocks! I have Thor on the way and already have the appropriately sized Stormbreaker for him so might try to do similar. Can you share what all you had to do? Looks like drilling a peg hole in the bottom of Stormbreaker and hooking it on like a hand, but guessing it's not quite that simple.

Again, awesome! :clap

Ok, that absolutely rocks! I have Thor on the way and already have the appropriately sized Stormbreaker for him so might try to do similar. Can you share what all you had to do? Looks like drilling a peg hole in the bottom of Stormbreaker and hooking it on like a hand, but guessing it's not quite that simple.

Again, awesome! :clap

It’s almost that simple.
I had some aluminum tube that was the same diameter as the wrist pegs so I embedded that into the Hot Toys Stormbreaker after I reshaped the end to fit where the wrist peg goes. Then drilled the hole for the wrist peg deeper.
4368406E-2A96-4CF4-9BC3-019E26E4C19D.jpg

The elbow unfortunately doesn’t bend enough to get stormbreaker high enough nor does it actually hold the extra weight now that there’s so much leverage on the joint. I had to dremel away material to get that sharp of a bend and then glue it in that position.
5DC1F7FD-A259-423D-B2DA-A77DBF8A23F3.jpeg

Finally to get enough movement in the neck so he could actually look up like that scene I had to do extensive dremeling to the back of the neck and neck pocket, and I ended up heating up the neck peg itself and changing the angle.
07B6C076-8E55-4108-89D1-C16F2DDB2360.jpg

This is not something you can undo should you choose to do it. It also requires a full breakdown of the figure to adjust the neck peg. To me though it’s totally worth it. That image from Infinity War stuck with me, especially after this went up for order and I’ve waited since I preordered this to have it look like this.

Thanks Magnus! It's awesome, but my questionable skills and desire to NOT buy another Groot will probably keep me admiring from a far. So awesome though!

Yes, excellent work Magnusstewardson! And thanks for taking the time to share your methods, I’m sure a lot of people are inspired.

I know I?m pretty late to the game on this one but I finally picked up Groot. It is unfortunately broken at the legs but Toy Anxiety was selling it that way for an amazing price, so I couldn?t be happier. I may try to make an accurate Arcade Defender game for him rather than spend the money on the inaccurate HT version.
c7b6bc382b1f441300399947600157b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I’d skip the HT handheld game too if you don’t have it. Looking forward to seeing what you make in its place. Too bad on the broken legs, I think if the legs hadn’t been such an issue this would’ve been a more popular release this year. Hot Toys rushed this one and it suffered, wrong weapons wrong handheld game and that bad package job that broke legs.

Back