1/6 Hot Toys - Infinity War - Iron Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
400. . .dollars. . .

huh. . .

1273951-964541_866301_bwahaha_super_super.jpg

**** you, Hot Toys.

I've been waiting for the Infinity War designs to try and decide what I'd like to pick up from HT as the Iron Man for my collection. Between the flat-out ugly liquid metal Kamen Rider design and the absurd price tag, it ain't gonna be this one :lol

Here's the thing: this is an expensive specialized hobby. These aren't mass market toys. If $400 is to much, then fine don't buy it, but don't try to suddenly pretend that this hobby is affordable or budget minded.

Is anyone really saying that? I don't think we went from $345 = affordable or budget minded to $407 = not affordable or budget minded. It's more about the $60 increase over recent diecast figures. That's a heck of a price hike.

It is and considering this figure isn’t really all that much. I mean my age of ultron figure has more accessories and more parts and it was like 200 or 300. This figure doesn’t have a lot for the price it’s asking.

Is anyone really saying that? I don't think we went from $345 = affordable or budget minded to $407 = not affordable or budget minded. It's more about the $60 increase over recent diecast figures. That's a heck of a price hike.

Spot on.

I’ve been collecting Hot Toys for quite some time now. I’m happy that I have most characters I would want already. I got the original 6 Avengers from the first team up and the entire Guardians from their first movie. Now I limit myself to one figure a movie.

This will be an easy pass. I love Iron Man, but I have the MK7 and MK43 which I consider to be much better looking than this one. The price is also a breaking point. I could barely justify $300+. Now we’re looking at $400+?

I will get one figure from this line, more than likely Thanos. I just pray his price tag stays at a reasonable level, or I’ll have to consider passing on this entire line altogether.

Did tony use the thighmaster a lot with the other armors? The thighs on this look thinner than spiderman's.

Yeah I was going to say haha. He has really small or at least undefined musculature like he had in the previous armours (especially the 46/47).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, why is that?! I don't understand why HT keeps making his legs thin. It just gives the impression that Tony's legs are super thin in that armor. What gives?!

I was speaking for the hobby as a whole. I never said the previous prices were budget.

This entire hobby is a luxury. $407 is no more a ridiculous price for an action figure than $345.

And there are tons of possible reasons for that price hike. The most likely one is that Disney raised the licensing fees for this movie.

The interesting thing is that no one is discussing why the prices suddenly went up, and is instead just complaining that suddenly Hot Toys is being unrealistic or greedy.

I just remember when i ordered the 45 i was not impressed with the photos but took a chance because i'm an IM freak and i was very happy when i pulled it out of the box. So i agree the price is total BS but i'm pretty sure i will be happy with it.
I have friends who think i am crazy for spending any money on these things so anyone on here thinking i'm crazy for buying this one means nothing.

Yep, it’s your money. Spend it how you want. It’s funny because a fair number of the folks on here complaining about the price and saying they are priced out and it’s the end and all that stuff where saying the same thing for the mk42 years ago and are still around complaining about the prices. Lol 400 bucks ain’t cheap, agreed. But it’s not exactly the end of the world.

For me it's a tipping point. Breaking that $400 barrier, it's very hard for me to justify that on what is, ultimately, a glorified action figure vs other things in the $400+ bracket. For example camera bodies, camera lenses, shoes, coats, etc. I can't justify it within my own internal logic any more.

Here's the thing: this is an expensive specialized hobby. These aren't mass market toys. If $400 is to much, then fine don't buy it, but don't try to suddenly pretend that this hobby is affordable or budget minded.

I seriously doubt that Hot Toys is clearing huge margins on these figures. Maybe they are, but probably not.

First there are the licensing fees they are paying to Disney, which are probably in the millions.

Then they are paying their artists, who are doing amazing jobs and, given that this is a Hong Kong based company and not China, are probably being paid very well for their skills. (Which they should be.)

Then you have the production process. Figures like Iron Man are always going to be more expensive because there are fewer molds they can reuse from previous figures. Making those molds is probably the most expensive part of this whole process. The dies for the metal parts are going to be even more expensive.

And then there are the supply costs. The production of plastics are tied to the cost of petroleum, which can fluctuate quite a bit. If one supplier goes out of business they may have to go to another, which may raise prices. International tariffs and import taxes can dramatically raise production costs if any of their suppliers are outside of Hong Kong.

Now most mass market toys make this money back by selling very large quantities and spreading that cost out over hundreds of thousands (if not millions of a particular figure.)

A $20 action figure you buy at Target probably cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to prototype and produce, but if they are going to sell 2,000,000 of them, they can spread that cost out over that entire amount.

Hoy Toys have a production run of a few thousand. That means there are far less of them to spread that cost out over. Meaning that each figure has to reflect a higher percentage of that production cost.

It's fine to say that $400 is too much money for you to want to spend on an Iron Man figure, but let's be realistic about what these things are and why they cost what they do.

If no one buys this, then maybe Hot Toys reevaluates their current strategy and moves back away from Die Cast, or tries to cut back on accessories to compensate for rising costs.

You need to stop it with all that logic and well thought out observations.

For me it's a tipping point. Breaking that $400 barrier, it's very hard for me to justify that on what is, ultimately, a glorified action figure vs other things in the $400+ bracket. For example camera bodies, camera lenses, shoes, coats, etc. I can't justify it within my own internal logic any more.

Totally legitimate reasoning.

I just bought some new camera crap myself. Another expensive hobby.

Yep, it’s your money. Spend it how you want. It’s funny because a fair number of the folks on here complaining about the price and saying they are priced out and it’s the end and all that stuff where saying the same thing for the mk42 years ago and are still around complaining about the prices. Lol 400 bucks ain’t cheap, agreed. But it’s not exactly the end of the world.

For a 1/6 scale figure that asking a bit much. 200 and 300 range is all good but now we are close to half a thousand.

Totally legitimate reasoning.

I just bought some new camera crap myself. Another expensive hobby.

Oh God, we don't even need to start on the price of lenses.

The price of this figure is a drop in the bucket compared to a decent lens.

Question: if there was going to be a SS exclusive edition, would they have announced that yesterday too?

Last thing I would want would be to get locked in and then they come out with some awesome limited edition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back