1/6 1/6 Hot Toys: Ellen Ripley - Alien - Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it'll do pretty well, I know a lot of casual sci-fi fans that want to see it bad now, especially after the prologue footage they released, that would typically wait for the blu-ray.

How was your theater's attendance? The one I went to in Cleveland was only about 60-75% full, which sort of bummed me out. They were charging $20 though, which I'm sure deterred A LOT of people from going.

I'd say if there was maybe 50 people TOTAL in the theater it was a lot. I got my ticket via fandango online and was 17 bucks. There were only two theatres showing it in Houston, and the theatre it was in was a fairly large one. I did see a young kid, probably around 7 or 8 in there which I though was cool. I saw the movie on network TV when I was around that same age in the very early 80's. It was only the second time I saw it on the big screen, seen all subseuqent ones on the big screen on their initial releases.

I'm curious, I think the cut of the movie last nite was a mix of the theatrical and directors cuts. It did NOT have the Dallas cocoon scene or BC hiding in the chains before Brett gets it. But i did notice what seemed to be slight additional lines at the end of some scenes. I haven't seen the theatrical cut in a long time so perhaps those short additions to scenes were in the original. I finally noticed Jonesy had a place setting at the table and was eating after they first woke up!

I agree on the big screen with big sound the movie is way more suspenseful and you can really see Ridley's masterful camerawork with lighting in certain scenes.

I'd say if there was maybe 50 people TOTAL in the theater it was a lot. I got my ticket via fandango online and was 17 bucks. There were only two theatres showing it in Houston, and the theatre it was in was a fairly large one. I did see a young kid, probably around 7 or 8 in there which I though was cool. I saw the movie on network TV when I was around that same age in the very early 80's. It was only the second time I saw it on the big screen, seen all subseuqent ones on the big screen on their initial releases.

I'm curious, I think the cut of the movie last nite was a mix of the theatrical and directors cuts. It did NOT have the Dallas cocoon scene or BC hiding in the chains before Brett gets it. But i did notice what seemed to be slight additional lines at the end of some scenes. I haven't seen the theatrical cut in a long time so perhaps those short additions to scenes were in the original. I finally noticed Jonesy had a place setting at the table and was eating after they first woke up!

I agree on the big screen with big sound the movie is way more suspenseful and you can really see Ridley's masterful camerawork with lighting in certain scenes.
I agree completely, it was funny, my wife has probably seen it 10-20 times and she still jumped every time there was a scare. :lol

I also noticed the film shown seemed like a different cut than anything I'd seen before, I think it was a mix of the two cuts. It was kind of cool because I felt like I was watching for the first time once I noticed it wasn't the theatrical. If we're right that it was a new cut, they definitely should've marketed it that way a bit, maybe some that have seen it before would've wanted to check out a new version.

I had never seen Alien in the theater before, I'm 40 years old so I really have no excuse why I hadn't lol. I have also seen all of the others though, but Alien is still my favorite, just ahead of Aliens and Alien 3.

On topic (sort of), while watching it last night on a giant screen in HD, it did make it more apparent to me how off the Hot Toys sculpt is on their prototype (I was sticking up for it before), Sigourney was so young and fresh faced and I don't really get that from their sculpt. Maybe they've changed it (doubtful) and it'll look a little better.

Does anyone know if Hot Toys actually has the licence for Alien: Covenant? Given their half-hearted work on their still unshipped Ripley figure and the fact that they did absolutely nothing with the Prometheus licence, I have zero expectation that Hot Toys will make any Covenant figures. But if they didn't bother with the licence, maybe some other company (you know, the kind that would actually make figures) could grab it. Wishful thinking on my part, I'm sure, but I had to ask.

They haven't announced anything yet. But even if they did, don't count on them even doing anything with it.

Howard said in the last interview that they will do "Alien and Predator in 2017 and 2018 versions instead". So sounds like they do have the license to Covenant and plan to release figures. But we'll see if it actually happens. May depend on the success of Covenant.

Exactly. HT went so far as to tease pics of a figure from Prometheus, but nothing came of it. I don't expect them to put anything out for Covenant.

X-Men: First Class too showing Xavier that never came out... **** Howard.

Hot Toys has a graveyard of licenses that will never be tapped.

I agree completely, it was funny, my wife has probably seen it 10-20 times and she still jumped every time there was a scare. :lol

I also noticed the film shown seemed like a different cut than anything I'd seen before, I think it was a mix of the two cuts. It was kind of cool because I felt like I was watching for the first time once I noticed it wasn't the theatrical. If we're right that it was a new cut, they definitely should've marketed it that way a bit, maybe some that have seen it before would've wanted to check out a new version.

I had never seen Alien in the theater before, I'm 40 years old so I really have no excuse why I hadn't lol. I have also seen all of the others though, but Alien is still my favorite, just ahead of Aliens and Alien 3.

On topic (sort of), while watching it last night on a giant screen in HD, it did make it more apparent to me how off the Hot Toys sculpt is on their prototype (I was sticking up for it before), Sigourney was so young and fresh faced and I don't really get that from their sculpt. Maybe they've changed it (doubtful) and it'll look a little better.

Back in 2003ish when they first came out with his Director's cut for the 25th annversary was when I first saw Alien on the big screen. If indeed this cut was something different, they should have denoted it. hell join the ranks of Cameron and Aliens with re-re-re-releasing the movie. Whtever cut yesterday's screening was, I liked it. I have always thought his 'director cut' of Alien did lag, espeically for the Dallas cocoon sequence, you lose all the pacing of the whole sequence. Also you are left to wonder how/why Ripley had a bruise on her cheek after Dallas gets it in the shaft. In the DC IIRC Lamber ***** slaps her hard just before that.

'ON' topic, seeing Ripley on the big screen knowing about her impending figure release, I took more note of her costume so I will be eager to see how much detail they go for on it.

They haven't announced anything yet. But even if they did, don't count on them even doing anything with it.

more than likely this....

Howard said in the last interview that they will do "Alien and Predator in 2017 and 2018 versions instead". So sounds like they do have the license to Covenant and plan to release figures. But we'll see if it actually happens. May depend on the success of Covenant.

well once Aliens vs. Iron Man is made there will be no less than 8 IM suits and 1 alien warrior made....

Hehe, let's see guys. If Covenant becomes a real hit we'll get something - maybe just one or two, but something - if not, we won't get jack.

Hehe, let's see guys. If Covenant becomes a real hit we'll get something - maybe just one or two, but something - if not, we won't get jack.

I see your glass is half full. Soon your optimism will be crushed and you, young Slikkerias will be one of us.

00bf97d494a72701bd0e17db90340423.gif

My thoughts regarding Hot Toys and Sideshow after last night's Prime 1 announcement:

tenor.gif

My thoughts regarding Prime 1:

49ac7a3fe63d737fb684524ec1ea6997.jpg

Collaboration with CoolProps on 1/3 Alien and Predator statues. CP presumably doing basic design and sourcing, P1 polishing sculpts and manufacturing.

Back