1/6 Hot Toys – MMS - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: Yondu Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys – MMS - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: Yondu Collectible Figure

There is also a very good knockoff version of the original Groot out there pretty cheap.

The KO Groot is very good... but I kind of want the original.

I should have gotten all these when they were dirt cheap there for awhile. Oh well...

Re: 1/6 Hot Toys – MMS - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: Yondu Collectible Figure

I could use a little advice. I got on the WL for the standard Yondu and the deluxe Yondu on the exact days that each went to WL... I have an opportunity to buy him on another reputable site right now for the same price as Sideshow, but I’d have to pay in full up front and they aren’t expecting him until September... Should I hold out for a WL conversion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I am ordering a Yondu, I would go for the sure thing. I would hate missing out on a character I want. I also wouldn’t want to waste time hunting around if the Waitlist doesn’t convert and have to pay the secondary market price because all retailers are sold out.

But that is if you don’t have other priorities/necessities to spend the money on.

The KO Groot is very good... but I kind of want the original.

I should have gotten all these when they were dirt cheap there for awhile. Oh well...

I would have preferred an original Groot myself but aftermarket prices are too high, so I just picked up the knockoff Groot and it's absolutely perfect. Even the stand they included looks exactly like the original. I'm very happy with it.

I would have preferred an original Groot myself but aftermarket prices are too high, so I just picked up the knockoff Groot and it's absolutely perfect. Even the stand they included looks exactly like the original. I'm very happy with it.

I picked one up on a whim, just to see what it looked like...and it's no where near HT quality. Not by a long shot. All the articulation is there, but the limbs pop off easily, the moveable plates snap off if you look at them wrong (the Iron Man-esque hip plates, I mean), and the paint job is awful. I gave it a full repaint and stuck it in the very back of my Guardians group, and I guess it's passable. To be fair, I would never have bought the original Groot (he was only in ONE film), and especially never for the inflated prices out there, but for what it is, it's ok. But don't be confused into thinking it's anywhere near as good as an original.

I picked one up on a whim, just to see what it looked like...and it's no where near HT quality. Not by a long shot. All the articulation is there, but the limbs pop off easily, the moveable plates snap off if you look at them wrong (the Iron Man-esque hip plates, I mean), and the paint job is awful. I gave it a full repaint and stuck it in the very back of my Guardians group, and I guess it's passable. To be fair, I would never have bought the original Groot (he was only in ONE film), and especially never for the inflated prices out there, but for what it is, it's ok. But don't be confused into thinking it's anywhere near as good as an original.

Well I'm glad to hear that. I never bought the KO version. But the paint was clearly not as good. Luckily I was looking a good year or more ago, so prices were not as crazy as now. So I managed to get the 2 pack with Rocket a bit below retail which was fine. Assuming Groot will be full size again by GotG 3, then I'd say HT will give him another run.

Well I'm glad to hear that. I never bought the KO version. But the paint was clearly not as good. Luckily I was looking a good year or more ago, so prices were not as crazy as now. So I managed to get the 2 pack with Rocket a bit below retail which was fine. Assuming Groot will be full size again by GotG 3, then I'd say HT will give him another run.

Maybe I don't have eyes as sharp as you guys but my Groot looks perfect to me. Also, I don't need it to look exactly like the Hot Toys Groot specifically--I need it to look like Groot from the movie. If the knockoff company interpreted the paint job differently that's fine by me as long as he still looks like a big wooden tree. As for limbs falling off, I don't go for action poses so it hasn't been a problem.

Maybe I don't have eyes as sharp as you guys but my Groot looks perfect to me. Also, I don't need it to look exactly like the Hot Toys Groot specifically--I need it to look like Groot from the movie. If the knockoff company interpreted the paint job differently that's fine by me as long as he still looks like a big wooden tree. As for limbs falling off, I don't go for action poses so it hasn't been a problem.

To each their own, of course! The paint job isn't "interpreted differently" though - it's downright poor. Like mass-market 4" toy you find at Walmart poor. If that's good enough for you, that's wonderful! You saved a bunch of $. And for me, I had no problem giving it a proper repaint (which I enjoy doing). But to say that it's "different" is a misnomer. It's done very cheap.

Also, the stand, while looking similar from a distance, is made of a much cheaper plastic and has a cheaper printed pattern on top, which stands out like a sore thumb against the other GotG stands. I don't use stands, so it didn't bother me, but again, it's not even close. But then, perhaps I have high standards...though I'd imagine most of the people on these boards do!

I wanted original Groot too. But i couldn't stomach idea of getting KO version. Not long time ago i was lucky to get Vol 1 double pack for about $220. Cool price even for Groot alone. I must say he is a beast. Can't wait to pose Groot and Rocket with Yondu.

I have the KO Groot also and while I haven't compared him to pics of the real one, the paint looks pretty good to me besides I think they went a little heavy with the green vines. The headsculpt paintwork looks great to me. I got him in last week so maybe older one has different paint jobs if different runs?

I have the KO Groot also and while I haven't compared him to pics of the real one, the paint looks pretty good to me besides I think they went a little heavy with the green vines. The headsculpt paintwork looks great to me. I got him in last week so maybe older one has different paint jobs if different runs?

It was the green that turned me off when I looked at them initially. Too light and unnatural. But I guess if you were adept at painting then that could be fixed.

But I think we can all be sure that any KO Yondu will never come close to this one. Not just the sculpt, but the whole outfit.

I'm sticking with baby Groot for my guardians display for the sake of saving space. Need to take advantage of a rare opportunity such as this.

Review coming in the next couple of days. Right now, all I can say is wow. [emoji91]
8b3a50df92979a7bf61be5a34d49cf49.jpg
c7a59ff85e8ae3104aa58c48b006cb90.jpg
3a3c4aa2658ba03451e9291a48e4d01b.jpg

Exactly the type of pose I'm going to go with. Really like the look of the arrow trail...

Would have been cool if they included a whistling head sculpt. Probably would have been difficult to sculpt without looking goofy though.

I really wanted a whistling sculpt too

Another Dr. Strange. A bit overlooked, but top of the top figure.

So close to getting this figure, finally! :yess:

Soooo excited. It still looks absolutely amazing.

I love how that pic shows how purple much of his outfit really is.

Back