1/6 DID/3R GM652 General Field Marshal Walter Model

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
w1.jpg
w2.jpg

w10.jpg

w3.jpg

w9.jpg

w4.jpg
w5.jpg
w6.jpg
w7.jpg
w8.jpg

Well, they definitely changed fabric this guy doesn't have the felt material the older ones had on the collar, and this guy is giving me the same comic book vibes the MP figure had.
Not sure on this one yet will most likely wait for release and see.

Well, they definitely changed fabric this guy doesn't have the felt material the older ones had on the collar, and this guy is giving me the same comic book vibes the MP figure had.
Not sure on this one yet will most likely wait for release and see.

"Comic book" was what immediately came to mind. He reminded me of a caricature from an old comic strip.

I never intended to collect generals, so this one doesn't hold much interest.

Curious about his history I looked up his Wiki page, and there was this assessment:

Unlike Erwin Rommel, another field marshal who preferred to lead from the front, Walter Model was almost universally disliked by those who had to work with him. For example, when he was made commander of the XLI Panzer Corps in 1941, the entire corps staff asked to be transferred.[129][130] He made a habit of being abusive and foul-mouthed, micromanaging his subordinates, changing plans without consultation, and bypassing the chain of command when it suited him. He was oblivious to the niceties of etiquette, often reprimanding or castigating his officers in public. When he departed Army Group North in March 1944 after being sent to Ukraine, the army group's chief of staff remarked, "the 'Swine' is gone".[131] It was a reference to Model's nickname among his staffers, that he had earned during his time at XLI Panzer Corps, namely 'Frontline Pig' (Frontschwein).[132]

Giantoy has the full parts list, which is something the 3R site never seems to provide.

Features

Super realistic headsculpt
Body
Left Palms X 2 + Right Palms X 2

Outfits

Visor Cap
Uniform
Breeches
Greatcoat
Shirt
Grey gloves
Brown belt (genuine leather)
Cotton one-piece suit
Jackboots (genuine leather)
Accessories
Goggles
Binoculars
Watch
Frameless monocle
Field Marshal Walter Model baton
Field Marshal Walter Model Interim baton

Weapon

PPK pistol with a clip and holster in genuine leather

Insignia

German Field Marshal collar tab X 2 pairs
German Field Marshal shoulder board X 2 pairs
Breast eagle x 1
Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords x 1
Iron Cross 1st Class 1914 x 1
1939 Clasp 1st Class to the 1914 Iron Cross 1st Class x 1
Wound Badge in Gold x 1
Panzer Assault Badge X 1

Great improvement I'm going to have to get him I know I'll be watching a documentary and it will mention Model and I will regret passing on him like I did von Rundstedt, $140 is also a fair price and he will fill out the general display.

Qu Rachel

Group expert
· 1 h ·

Hi, here are more images of GM652 Walter Model
German General Field Marshal. Hope you will like him.
The pre-order deadline of GM652 will be extended to July 20.
If you like the figure, please place the order now.

wm1.jpg
wm2.jpg
wm3.jpg

Great improvement I'm going to have to get him I know I'll be watching a documentary and it will mention Model and I will regret passing on him like I did von Rundstedt, $140 is also a fair price and he will fill out the general display.

I'm torn on collecting generals.

During both bouts of my 1/6 WWII collecting I've wanted to keep to those actually engaged in the fighting. That changed with Rommel and Patton.

It's still tempting because, like most DID figures, they look good. However, since I came back into this late I've already missed so many.

The thing that drew me to Model was his monocle! The original comical sculpt kept reminding me of a Colonel Blimp type, or a drunken earl holding court at a party, glass of whiskey in hand, regaling an audience with tall tales of big game hunting in Africa.

The updated more realistic and accurate sculpt has lost most of that charm.

Heinz_Guderian_with_Walter_Model_on_the_front.jpg

WaltherModel.jpg

I'm torn on collecting generals.

During both bouts of my 1/6 WWII collecting I've wanted to keep to those actually engaged in the fighting. That changed with Rommel and Patton.

It's still tempting because, like most DID figures, they look good. However, since I came back into this late I've already missed so many.

The thing that drew me to Model was his monocle! The original comical sculpt kept reminding me of a Colonel Blimp type, or a drunken earl holding court at a party, glass of whiskey in hand, regaling an audience with tall tales of big game hunting in Africa.

The updated more realistic and accurate sculpt has lost most of that charm.

View attachment 650195

View attachment 650196
I used to never collect these types of figures back in the DML days and only bought random military figures of whatever I liked but now that I'm older I have more interest in figures based on people with real military backgrounds and significance + DiD/3Rs quality and detail is much better at portraying figures based on historical people than DML could have ever done in their day.

I'm missing a lot of older release 3R/DiD figures as well, mainly Heinz Guderian who I want the most but those figures are around and won't cease to exist so if I really want him in the future I don't mind putting some money aside to pay more for sold out figures, star wars sucking has helped this a lot as I'm pretty much done buying anything star wars/Hot toys related.

I used to never collect these types of figures back in the DML days and only bought random military figures of whatever I liked but now that I'm older I have more interest in figures based on people with real military backgrounds and significance + DiD/3Rs quality and detail is much better at portraying figures based on historical people than DML could have ever done in their day.

I'm missing a lot of older release 3R/DiD figures as well, mainly Heinz Guderian who I want the most but those figures are around and won't cease to exist so if I really want him in the future I don't mind putting some money aside to pay more for sold out figures, star wars sucking has helped this a lot as I'm pretty much done buying anything star wars/Hot toys related.

Unsurprisingly, the only DML general I had was the Afrika Korps Rommel.

Certain generals could be filtered into the display, surrounded by appropriate troops. That's been easy for Rommel because he was often photographed among the men, and even getting his hands dirty pushing his staff car.

Patton was another one who liked to lead from the front.

Guderian would be a good one to have. Long ago I read his autobiography, Panzer Leader.

I generally don't like going back and picking up old figures though, unless there's some special significance to them, or they specifically go with something I already have.

I've never wanted to stray into collecting the party leaders, Hitler, Himmler, Goering, Goebbels, etc, because I find that too ghoulish. At present I can look at my collection and imagine that most of them aren't even fervent Nazis, but merely German military. (Marseille was actually anti-Nazi).

Too some even collecting regular German soldiers is bad enough. While watching urban exploration videos, if a book on Germany during WWII turns up, and invariably has a Swastika on the cover, the explorers often convey the impression that the owner of the house must've been a bit dodgy.:panic:

I hate to think what visitors might think of my book collection, or worse still my badge and medal collection, even though most of it is Allied. I feel uneasy looking at my original Nazi Party badge (which, soberingly, has the code for a Jewish maker: Kerbach & Israel, Dresden). It's offset by my Free France and Free French Air Force badges. (The Free France has a membership number corresponding to June 1940, the month De Gaulle established the Free France government in exile).

However, I don't feel uneasy about the Schnellboot or U-Boat medals.

None of it I actively sought out, but found at car boot sales, often rummaging through boxes from house clearances. I also collected coins, stamps, photographs and postcards, particularly from the 1930s to the end of the war.

The times have changed drastically and there's a greater stigma attached to Nazi artifacts, but whenever I look through the collection and see them they don't represent any sense of glorification, but rather a deep sense of horror and sadness. The genuine objects hold a visceral power.

When I began collecting 1/6 WWII again I told myself I'd steer clear of the Waffen-SS, but that rule broke down with DID's Jager, since he came with the two uniform options. It's a slippery slope as collections naturally expand into other areas. To think, I only really got back into it because DID's Wilhelm re-ignited the interest I'd had in the Afrika Korps since Raiders of the Lost Ark!

Last edited:
As my forum name suggests, I have a big interest in aviation and military aviation, in particular. I have a collection of signed books, prints and scale models of a number of WWII German pilots/aces and have no issues in having or displaying them. But I can certainly understand the possible issues displaying a swastika flag...

I too like the simple yet elegant presentation. I prefer the foam over the clamshell plastic but unsure what the long term issues could be on the items, if left in storage. There could be a risk of the foam holding moisture and transferring that to the figure and accessories, causing staining or worse. If you own firearms, I'm sure that you know to not keep them stored in their original cases that contain foam, for that very reason.

Back