1/6 DID/3R GM651 Field Marshal Erwin Rommel (North Africa)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sculpt does look better.

They're still being hounded on BBICN and Weibo to go back and use the sculpt from GM621:

GM621.jpg

The main complaint is that the eyes are too melancholy on the upcoming figure, and not as resolute as they were before.

One major difference is that the original figure had brown eyes. The Atlantic Wall version (GM636) and the upcoming figure both have blue eyes:

GM636.jpg

Apparently books have been divided over whether they were brown or blue. However, searching for the answer I'm only seeing blue listed.

Every Rommel sculpt they have done is good in my opinion but the original definitely captured a suntanned Rommel perfectly, maybe they should try replicating that paint job again instead of portrait person.

I really hope DiD goes back to making historical allied generals like Omar Bradley or 2.0 of Bernard Montgomery.

Yes the New one definitely looks more like the last Atlantic Wall Rommel (a shame) - as the 2011 Desert Fox was spot on imo. I sold one 3 yrs back and kept my boxed one. One of my favourites 3R have done...

Attachments

• 20210109_142033.jpg
    20210109_142033.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Every Rommel sculpt they have done is good in my opinion but the original definitely captured a suntanned Rommel perfectly, maybe they should try replicating that paint job again instead of portrait person.

I really hope DiD goes back to making historical allied generals like Omar Bradley or 2.0 of Bernard Montgomery.

Good point in regards to the sculpts and paint apps.

I would love to see a line of "Admirals & Generals" from throughout history but covering WWII the most.

Yes the New one definitely looks more like the last Atlantic Wall Rommel (a shame) - as the 2011 Desert Fox was spot on imo. I sold one 3 yrs back and kept my boxed one. One of my favourites 3R have done...

Definitely the best rendition, in my opinion.

Maybe odd, but I'm more interested in the second character I'll create from the set than Rommel himself.

The top brass don't normally interest me, but I made an exception with this one because he's so closely associated with the Afrika Korps. Rommel wilI likely be a background rather than a foreground figure on display.

Yay! what a turn around they are so fast at getting them released in china even with Chinese new year.

Yay! what a turn around they are so fast at getting them released in china even with Chinese new year.

It's really surprising, especially when it's normal for 1/6 companies to be late rather than early.

I can't remember whether DID attaches the medals on every figure (I might be getting confused by Ujindou who leave them for the collector to pin on), but I wish they hadn't with this one because I'll need to remove them all. :lol

417951-Rommel-4.jpg

That head looks a bit dodgy to me. Looks very puffy. Have to see reviews first??

Seems to be the updated sculpt they showed, but maybe with darker irises.

Giantoy just sent the final invoice.

Because Rommel's under their 3R brand DID shared the unboxing video on the DID / 3R Collectors Group Facebook page. The video's set to private so can't even be downloaded and uploaded here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DID...055683518754&notif_t=group_activity&ref=notif

EDIT:

I found a workaround using fdownloader and managed to download the video, but the forum returns an error every time I try to upload it. :gah:

Last edited:
Rommel's here.

Not done much to him yet as I was trying to get decent photos of the sculpt, which wasn't easy because the flash makes the paint look shiny.

The in hand impression is much better. The eyes were the only part that photographed well.

100_3587.JPG

100_3599.JPG

100_3600.JPG

100_3601.JPG

As evident from previous unboxings the tunic is fastened with metal poppers. Not something you see done much nowadays since they're more obvious than the little black plastic ones (which they used on his shirt), but they do add a feeling of robustness over the fragile plastic versions.

I'm swapping his shirt with one that I painted the collar on, to keep the 3R one for the second figure. Doing so reveals that Rommel has a padded onesie, a vest that extends to cover the thighs.

Now to remove the medals from his tunic and begin assembling the two figures.

I'm making slow progress with this one, and haven't even started on Rommel himself yet.

After spending ages putting the tropical boots onto the second figure (in the shirt and shorts), I decided to take them off. The thickness of the socks prevented the boots being tightened enough for my liking.

I used the boots on the greatcoated DAK soldier that I put together with spare parts from other sets, giving his Bergschuhe to the second figure from the Rommel set.

100_3624.JPG

The mountain boots and shorts look is reminiscent of this photo of Gebirgsjäger in Greece, 1941:

Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 756, Greece 1941.jpg

100_3621.JPG

Rommel's finished.

He has a poor selection of hands: a pair of bendy ones, which I've disliked since Dragon Models days; a right pointy finger and a left binocular gripper.

The left can hold the baton, but only cupped and braced by his side as the fingers are too far apart to grip it. The right pointy finger didn't work for me when testing, so I put his arm behind his back.

I was going to put Rommel on the next shelf along with the Hauptmann and photographer, but opted for the full group together for now:

100_3641.JPG

Back