1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. Though the ESB and RotJ two tone paint scheme seems simple and the same, there are differences and even variants within the same movie. For the guides I made I picked the version from each movie that I liked the look of the best, but I will list the alternatives so people can paint them as they prefer. The ANH is going to be a whole other can of worms compared to the other two movies, because the parts are not two-toned: they are black, with gunmetal drybrushed highlighting in varying decrees. So the guide is simply showing where the surface is the most clearly gunmetal, but again, I'll include more detailed descriptions.

This is one of the paint guides a fellow prop enthusiast and I made several years ago. These will be included with the sales with more detailed descriptions.
FIejpDZ.jpg

I know that looks two-tone, but the description I'll include will make things more clear.

Here are some pictures of the original.
Bd9gkLh.jpg
qEGW0YS.png
z2x3sHF.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, when I started that project there was only a single frontal image created by someone called VaderMaker and I remember it wasn't really all that clear to follow. I no longer have a copy of that one, unfortunately.

And most times when the templates I helped make gets reposted somewhere I've noticed that they usually edit out the credits.

I don't know the brand as I didn't cast them, but the resin was bad, so new resin from another supplier was ordered and the new casts should be better. I'm still waiting to hear more regarding how far we are. I'll keep everyone posted.

On another note. The RotJ helmet and chest and belt boxes, as well as the symmetrical helmet and grills have been sent to the printing company and they are now in the process of being printed.

I've taken some photographs of Hot Toys sized parts to give some size comparison. There will be some work involved when using the smaller more accurate parts. The parts shown were Hot Toys parts that have been modified by myself but are essentially the same size as the parts currently on the figures you own.
IMG_20200606_160319.jpg

IMG_20200606_160259.jpg

IMG_20200606_160246.jpg

IMG_20200606_160234.jpg

IMG_20200606_160234.jpg

Oh WOW. This is actually the first time I've seen my stuff compared to the Hot Toys stuff. I only had an old Marmit prototype set to compare my stuff to. Frankly, I really like how it compares. Sure, the scanned stuff looks a little smaller in some areas, but I still think it can work together.

Out of interest, can you show a picture of the inside of the HT stormtrooper helmet? Would be interested in seeing how they made and attached their lenses.

IMG_20200606_172149_1.jpg

IMG_20200606_172137.jpg

IMG_20200606_171956.jpg

IMG_20200606_171944.jpg

It's very difficult to see how they fit. ( This is the Rogue one helmet). From what I can see the lenses have been shaped with a slight overlap and it is possible a small module that fits into a recess to clip in and attach.

These look great, TMG. My only concern after seeing the comparison shots is the new casts may look too small on the available Vader releases (SSC/HT). Although being extremely accurate detail-wise, they may through off the overall proportions: body to head size... hands will appear even larger than they already are, etc.
looking forward to seeing a test fit.
Thanks for updates and images TMG & Paul.

Yup. There will probably be issues with pairing my parts with HT and Sideshow parts. I am working on statues myself and will sculpt gloves, but I'm slow and probably won't do multiple versions, so it probably won't help things in that regard.

Last edited:
Well, if they used vinyl molding for their parts, they had to scale up their masters to account for uneven shrinking, which explains why they are bigger. Also because 1:6 scale accurate somehow looks too small than what you'd think it should be. I noticed the same thing when I compared my prints with the Marmit prototype.

Trying to source decals that were made from the actual decals on the original helmets I'm doing. I have no way of making them, so I'll see if the ones who make them can.

Having the Vader parts in true 1:6 scale will be a great incentive to try to get the proportions of the underlying body as accurate as possible as well.
I love that we're getting closer to the finish line here, this is my most anticipated "release" of anything figure related at the moment. :)

Back