1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Carson was gracious enough to show some pictures of the early castings. He ran into some problem with a bad batch of resin, which is why the surface has a lot of air bubbles and issues. He's getting a new batch and will make more castings, but we thought it could be nice to see even these rough casts until we have something better to show. He tried casting the chest and belt boxes and sabers too (created by Jesse J. McClear and finished by me), but they have so many small parts, so they'll most likely be 3D printed. We are looking into finding a really good, but not too expensive resin printer for this.

ANH - "Set For Stun" - Stormtrooper helmet:
(scanned from an original screen used helmet - the Stormtrooper that says the line: "There's one. Set For Stun!")
, on Flickr

"RotJ" - or known in fandom as an ESB mkII - Stormtrooper helmet. (Still working on getting a deal struck for a pure RotJ, but until then, this is close enough. You can even see the squashed in look to the left side of the face that is indicative of the ESB mkII and RotJ helmets, compared to the ANH):
(3D scanned by Mike Warren)
, on Flickr

ANH Darth Vader helmet - DJ scan - the DJ was made from the US Rick Baker mold made from the original screen used helmet that produced the tour helmets and later the eFX helmets. Also known as the ILM Mold:
(3D scanned by Mike Warren, 3D models fused by me, 3D models refined and finished by Dan DynamicMenace and Gaurav Kumar, grills and tusk models created by Jesse J. McClear and refined by me)
, on Flickr

ESB Darth Vader helmet - TM scan - the TM is from the ESB UK production mold lineage, which differs from the US mold in terms of details.
(3D scanned by Mike Warren, 3D models fused by me, 3D models refined and finished by Dan DynamicMenace and Gaurav Kumar, grills and tusk models created by Jesse J. McClear and refined by me)
, on Flickr

ANH Darth Vader chest armor - DJ scan - cast at the same time he made the helmet from molds made off the original ANH armor. Compared to most fan available armor, this one has the correct shape.
(3D scanned by Mike Warren, 3D models fused by me, 3D models refined and finished by Dan DynamicMenace and Gaurav Kumar)
, on Flickr

Darth Vader shins - Dan DynamicMenace had these 3D models created by Gaurav Kumar using reference as well as 3D models I originally scanned for the v1 scans from casts that link back to DJ's cast shins - original work.
, on Flickr

Amazing stuff!! Can’t wait to get my hands on some of these when you start to sell them. So will you be attempting to create the stormtrooper armour as well, or just the helmets?

Nice work. I admire you guys who can notice all the details and how manufactures missed them.

I can tell you from my days in California when some of the Sideshow guys would stop by Echo Base Toys, they were often frustrated. I think part of the Lucas Film licence dictated correcting things that GL was not happy with which is why A symmetry has been corrected in most figures. They also talked of changes made by factories in China for no good reasons.

Great to see improvements, especially on these iconic parts.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Amazing stuff!! Can’t wait to get my hands on some of these when you start to sell them. So will you be attempting to create the stormtrooper armour as well, or just the helmets?

I am hoping to get access to ANH and RotJ stormtrooper armor to get scanned in the future... but it is hard to get things done, since the logistics of getting it done is a real PITA. + having something like a full set of armor printed on a professional printer in the quality I'm getting these pieces printed at is gonna be really expensive, probably $1000+, so I need to be sure whether it is at all doable, as it also costs money to get the pieces scanned, so it's a rather big investment.

Last edited:
I am hoping to get access to ANH and RotJ stormtrooper armor to get scanned in the future... but it is hard to get things done, since the logistics of getting it done is a real PITA. + having something like a full set of armor printed on a professional printer in the quality I'm getting these pieces printed at is gonna be really expensive, probably $1000+, so I need to be sure whether it is at all doable, as it also costs money to get the pieces scanned, so it's a rather big investment.

Thanks for replying. As others have said, its superb that an independent person can replicate these parts with such screen accuracy, where other large manufacturers completely miss the mark.

I can imagine the 3D scanning costs are very expensive for this type of thing. I’m not sure about other members on this forum, but I for one would be happy to contribute to the funding of the costs, should you want to pursue the creation of 3D scanned stormtrooper armour versions.

Paul Carson was gracious enough to show some pictures of the early castings. He ran into some problem with a bad batch of resin, which is why the surface has a lot of air bubbles and issues. He's getting a new batch and will make more castings, but we thought it could be nice to see even these rough casts until we have something better to show. He tried casting the chest and belt boxes and sabers too (created by Jesse J. McClear and finished by me), but they have so many small parts, so they'll most likely be 3D printed. We are looking into finding a really good, but not too expensive resin printer for this.

ANH - "Set For Stun" - Stormtrooper helmet:
(scanned from an original screen used helmet - the Stormtrooper that says the line: "There's one. Set For Stun!")
, on Flickr

"RotJ" - or known in fandom as an ESB mkII - Stormtrooper helmet. (Still working on getting a deal struck for a pure RotJ, but until then, this is close enough. You can even see the squashed in look to the left side of the face that is indicative of the ESB mkII and RotJ helmets, compared to the ANH):
(3D scanned by Mike Warren)
, on Flickr

ANH Darth Vader helmet - DJ scan - the DJ was made from the US Rick Baker mold made from the original screen used helmet that produced the tour helmets and later the eFX helmets. Also known as the ILM Mold:
, on Flickr

ESB Darth Vader helmet - TM scan - the TM is from the ESB UK production mold lineage, which differs from the US mold in terms of details.
, on Flickr

ANH Darth Vader chest armor - DJ scan - cast at the same time he made the helmet from molds made off the original ANH armor. Compared to most fan available armor, this one has the correct shape.
(3D scanned by Mike Warren, 3D models fused by me, 3D models refined and finished by Dan DynamicMenace and Gaurav Kumar)
, on Flickr

Darth Vader shins - Dan DynamicMenace had these 3D models created by Gaurav Kumar using reference as well as 3D models I originally scanned for the v1 scans from casts that link back to DJ's cast shins - original work.
, on Flickr

Wow! This is still THE most important 1/6 custom project of the past decade. It's taken years but it looks like these might be available by the end of this year.:horror

Are the helmets pretty solid or are they more hollow? And is there a connector to pop it onto a HT neck post or will that need to be fitted?

The "set for stun" stormie and ESB Vader especially are just unbelievable. And the fact there are other Vader parts is just icing on the cake.:clap:clap:clap

I'll just chime in with how impressive this is. Looking forward to supporting this project at the first opportunity!

I would prefer to handle these things myself as there are too many uncertainties regarding such a project and I don't want to put anyone in a situation where I cannot repay them if things go south. That's why this takes so long, and I've already have many help me out over the years and I always feel bad for them that things are taking so long to finish.

I think we are going for hollow, but I'll have to check. We will not make things connect or fit, so dome fitting will have to be done by whoever buys it, and we won't make it fit a HT or Sideshow or something else - that is also something the buyer will have to do on their own, so this is for skilled modelers.

Anyway, was working on the 3D models to get the last few parts ready for printing. I need to finish the work on the symmetrical and RotJ grill model and then I'll be ready to contact the printing company to get these final bits done for my scaled project. I originally didn't want to do the RotJ Vader, but decided I might as well go for the full set.

, on Flickr

Last edited:
Wow! This is still THE most important 1/6 custom project of the past decade. It's taken years but it looks like these might be available by the end of this year.:horror

I completely agree with this. Easily the most important project of the last decade. I know it will be the grail of my collection. I am hoping to get at least an ANH and ESB set and maybe a symmetrical version if that is offered. I am glad Too Much Garlic is also doing the armor as the hot toys pieces will look too large if this is accurate scale. Though I would also love slightly larger versions of the helmet to go with existing pieces if that will ever be an option. I any case, I am really excited to get these. I hope that when it is time, we can do a group run with a painter that will help out the less experienced modders and painters.

Back at work on the 3D models. Working on adding the smaller grill to the two-layer RotJ grill setup. It may not even show up in the sixth scale prints and I'll ask the printing company whether they think it is worth it, but I like to have my models as close to accurate as possible. I may also do the RotJ fix to the dome ring (which you'll never see anyway) seen on some RotJ helmets where it has an inner lip at the bottom where the screws are attached, compared to the ESB that has the screws on the outside.

It took most of today to scale, orient and trim the smaller grill and contacted a few who know more than me on whether it looked correct. Waiting to hear back from all of them to see whether it's all good or I need to redo it. The pictures I've seen has a similar step-style grill to ANH, only smaller, some have it placed vertically behind the larger grill, others have it horizontal (this is the style I went with), another had rod-style grill similar to the stuff seen in Stormtrooper mic tips, whereas the RotJ reveal has a completely different style altogether and would have been difficult for me to replicate with the models I have already.

This is about the last bits I need to do before contacting the printing company to get the last bits printed and shipped directly to the producer.

They will come unpainted. We are working as fast as we can, but are not making the casts ready for HT or Sideshow bodies, so if we paint them, it may be ruined when buyers attempt to make the casts compatible to whatever they have. We will paint up a test set to show how they will look painted and we will be providing paint guides.

They will come unpainted. We are working as fast as we can, but are not making the casts ready for HT or Sideshow bodies, so if we paint them, it may be ruined when buyers attempt to make the casts compatible to whatever they have. We will paint up a test set to show how they will look painted and we will be providing paint guides.

That sounds cool. Thanks for the info.

Paint guides would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back