1/6 company of the year poll!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who rules in the 1/6 movie franchise world?

• Sideshow Toys! All bow to the mighty Sideshow!

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • Hot Toys! Doesn't get any hotter than this.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Medicom. It's the Medi way or the highway!

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Are you kidding? All of them!

Votes: 11 12.5%

• Total voters
pixletwin said:
Who woulda thought that this thread would have devolved into all this? :duh

1) You guys are arguing about dolls.

Are you calling my "high-end collectibles" .... dolls?!

:emperor :archer :lightsabe :stake :cut :Wizard

:rotfl

Tendou-Kabuto said:
WOW. I can't believe you guys could be so obviously shallow. More surprising is the fact that you guys are proud of being shallow. That's what I don't get about so many of these type of ppl on US Fan boards. It's the same on like every US board I visit. They can only see one way and dont seem capable of being beyond that. What's so great about being closed in? Is it that comfortable in there? It's quite sad actually.

Seriously? Are you really calling people shallow... about action figures?!? Especially when you are coming with this holier-than-though attitude about dumb American collectors. Kettle meet pot :D (and for the record I live in Oklahoma {very backwards part of America} and have the Apethoven figure)

I think everyone can agree that you buy what you want... and that sometimes we are not going to be real jazzed about buying figures from licenses you don't know, or appreciate. But calling people ignorant and shallow because of it is just ridiculous (on either side). This thread started nice and civil and then has degraded into another stupid back and forth. People need to be a little less combative, remember they are just dollies :lol

LOTRFan said:
Are you calling my "high-end collectibles" .... dolls?!

:emperor :archer :lightsabe :stake :cut :Wizard :rotfl

Are YEW talkin ta ME? :lol They're my high end collectibles and I'll call 'em what I want. They be dolls. :rotfl

Well it looks like Sideshow is out in front, so us Sideshow Freaks can stomp and dance. Out of interest, I wouldn't mind hearing from abake how his poll is going on the other boards he has posted it in. Hmmm abake. I better mark him down as a trouble maker. :lol

galactiboy said:
Seriously? Are you really calling people shallow... about action figures?!? Especially when you are coming with this holier-than-though attitude about dumb American collectors. Kettle meet pot :D (and for the record I live in Oklahoma {very backwards part of America} and have the Apethoven figure)

I think everyone can agree that you buy what you want... and that sometimes we are not going to be real jazzed about buying figures from licenses you don't know, or appreciate. But calling people ignorant and shallow because of it is just ridiculous (on either side). This thread started nice and civil and then has degraded into another stupid back and forth. People need to be a little less combative, remember they are just dollies :lol

Sure ppl can be shallow about toys, why do you think I replied that way. You may see them as Action Figures but for some these figures are pcs of work that are the result of the Sweat, philosophy, love and vision that the respective artists put into each and every one. As an Artist myself, I really try to identify myself with them and do my best to see the vision they had intended when creating all the toys that you and me buy. Sometimes it's simple but sometimes it's a way of expression which can be very deep.

I agree that we all buy what we want. But I dont agree that you should insult what you dont buy. I dont mean to Stereotype US collectors, But if you look around at all the major Figure Forums you'll notice a big difference when compared to Toyboards from Asia or even Europe. The Level of disrespect and confrontation from collector to collector is Significantly Higher than those in the International. It's not to say that Asian and EU boards are free of fights either just not as much. I think the reason is mostly because the majority of the American Society just sees toys as toys, as pieces of plastic or metal. In Asia at least the past 10 yrs or so Toys have become more of an artform and is much readily accpeted by society that an adult could buy toys and not be strange. I think it's slowly happening in the US as well just a bit slower than it has in Asia.

I dont mean to be combative but I take my hobbies and work very seriously as they are a huge part of my life.

creecher said:
Are YEW talkin ta ME? :lol They're my high end collectibles and I'll call 'em what I want. They be dolls. :rotfl

Well it looks like Sideshow is out in front, so us Sideshow Freaks can stomp and dance. Out of interest, I wouldn't mind hearing from abake how his poll is going on the other boards he has posted it in. Hmmm abake. I better mark him down as a trouble maker. :lol

Yeah, I've become a poll-spammer across boards!:lol

Anyway, here's something I posted over at the OSW forums (too lazy to retype, I'll just cut and paste):

Well, not surprisingly, SST beat HT and Medicom (in that order) at the Sideshowfreaks board, although I must say I found the support and respect for both Medi and HT surprising in a "dedicated" fan board. No mindless brown nosing there.
Medi ruled at the Mediworld forums, as expected, although there's also a healthy support for HT. Not much Sideshow love though.
Sideshow holds sway at the Spawn boards, followed by HotToys, but apparently the Medi Spawn wasn't enough to make the spawn crowd get into Medicom.
And here we see a healthy battle between HT and SST, with a slight lead for HotToys.

I think Sideshow's price point, the long time they have been around doing licenses and the choice of licenses are all a big plus for them.
Hot Toys has launched (as far as I know) their Movie Masterpieces line a comparatively short time ago, and the fact that most people don't have much knowledge or interest in the more Japan-oriented licenses that Medicom pursues limit their influence and acceptance.

Of course, these are just the ramblings of someone with way too much time in his hands!

So there ya have it!
Overall, it seems SST rules the world of 1/6 movie licenses!
Obviously, if this poll were made in asian forums, it'd probably be the other way around. In the end, I think most people appreciate what all of these companies are doing for us collectors. It's a win/win for us. So, more power to all!:chew

EVILFACE said:
So somthing is wrong with you if you don't like kung fu musicians jumping around in rubber suits?

I didn't grow up watching the Power Rangers like some obvious members here, so that must be it.

I like Microman, does that count :rotfl

Nothing is wrong with you but you should be more considerate in the way you show you're uninterested in the subject.

In Japan, "Power Rangers" is called Sentai and is much more serious than it is here. It's still a kids show but due to the censorship laws in the US the themes in the Japanese version are gernrally much more mature than the version shown in the US.

Kamen Rider and Ultraman is not Sentai but Tokusatsu. You could say that Tokusatsu is equavilent to an action show that is Primarily aimed towards kids but also has mature themes that adults can enjoy. which is why there are so many high end items for them. Sentai is a category that is within Tokusatsu but genrrally Sentai is considered to be much less darker than shows like Kamen Rider can be.

Microman is good. I especially like the new line. You are a 3.75 Gi Joe collector right? I am not surprised that you like Microman since it's around the same aley. Are you a fan of the Vintage, 1999-2000 or the Current Line??

Last edited:
Shai Hulud said:
lolll..why are you so serious about this stuff..these are f'n dolls...:lol :lol :lol Your acting like those figures are essential to the meaning of life or something.I, like everykind of figures,even medicom stuff..But the way you people act on those ''American '' forum, I reply to your post just to get a reaction..and everytime it works.

Toys are a big part of my life. up there with Martial Arts/ fighting, anime/ manga/ games and my studies / work. Since I am not casual about those things, I dont take always take jokes very lightly especially if they come off venomous. So dont be surprised if you poke fun at something someone takes very seriously and they reply to you in a combative way.

It's all good tho'

abake said:
Yeah, I've become a poll-spammer across boards!:lol

For your quick and informative reply I will cross you off my trouble makers list. Now can I interest you in becoming a Kurgan Krusader by any chance? You seem to have a certain knack. :lol

I'm not getting into any tirades on what is liked etc.,
HOW DUMB! You cannot quantify preference!

As for this poll....

Hard one.
I LOVE what Hot Toys is putting out right now, as they are mostly what I have been after for years...mostly... :D

BUT, Sideshow is my company. And, it says a lot about them that they are offering, within the confines of their sales structure, means to get the beloved Hot Toys releases, as well as their own.
Ergo, Sideshow wins. They have the spunk to put out some of the best ever figures on the market, AND sell through other, competitors, company product as well.
BRAVO!

As for Medicom, as a company, not bad. Just can't get over the size differnential, but that is no slam on their work. My Medi Rocketeer 1.0 remains one of the COOLEST FIGURES IN MY COLLECTION!!!! (catches breath...) So, it is with a sad heart that their stuff isn't as accessible as the other two for me.
No slams on quality. I may not prefer the Superman Returns they did, but I do enjoy the zeal of those who have bought them and defended them. Nothing beats enthusiasm.

Same with the Takara stuff. Don't have any, so I can't really say much can I. It does look nice though.

But, just look at Sideshow's roster....amazing! Together, to me, Sideshow and Hot Toys are THE BEST TOY MAKERS EVER!
And that is something to be pretty darned proud of!

You guys have earned it too! :chew

Figuremaster Les said:
...I LOVE what Hot Toys is putting out right now, as they are mostly what I have been after for years...mostly... :D

...Together, to me, Sideshow and Hot Toys are THE BEST TOY MAKERS EVER!

Couldn't have said it any better myself Les...To think that between HT and SS we have some AMAZING figures from SW and LOTR and Aliens and Predator and Terminator and Robocop...It's like a dream come true for me...I've waited YEARS for amazing Aliens Marines and Robocop and ED-209 in 1/6...and now it's a reality. Un-freakin' believable!!! :D

Now, if only we could get Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters and Doc and Marty...why I might just self-destruct!

:D

I was kidding about Ultraman and Anime, but I don't think it's a question of "shallowness." A lot of it depends on what you grew up on. I also think the cartoons of Transformers, GIJoe and Masters of the Universe suck - which is heresy to many board members.

However the Buffy universe has incredibly fleshed out characters, great stories and more creativity than in all of Star Wars, but one who hasn't seen it wouldn't know that. Just as most americans wouldn't know that about Gatchaman.

Tendou-Kabuto said:
Microman is good. I especially like the new line. You are a 3.75 Gi Joe collector right? I am not surprised that you like Microman since it's around the same aley. Are you a fan of the Vintage, 1999-2000 or the Current Line??

Used to collect the vintage stuff microman/micronauts. The new Microforce line is amazing. I like the look of most of it but there are some that are out there and design my american eyes just don't find appeal in.

EVILFACE said:
Used to collect the vintage stuff microman/micronauts. The new Microforce line is amazing. I like the look of most of it but there are some that are out there and design my american eyes just don't find appeal in.

Ahh. So I'm guessing you're most into the licensed ones? I get mostly the Original design ones but the Licensed ones are good too. BTW have you had Breakage problems with yours?? I want to know if it's just me. I've had breakage problems with mainly the ones cast in clear plastic.

Darklord Dave said:
I was kidding about Ultraman and Anime, but I don't think it's a question of "shallowness." A lot of it depends on what you grew up on. I also think the cartoons of Transformers, GIJoe and Masters of the Universe suck - which is heresy to many board members.

However the Buffy universe has incredibly fleshed out characters, great stories and more creativity than in all of Star Wars, but one who hasn't seen it wouldn't know that. Just as most americans wouldn't know that about Gatchaman.

I apoligize to you then. I definetly agree on the nostalgia factor. Many ppl's motivations for collecting are because of Nostalgia.

I still dont understand why ppl would insult stuff just because they dont like it tho. It's cool if you dont like it but to put it down in such a negative way for no reason is just wrong to me.

Back