1/6 company of the year poll!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who rules in the 1/6 movie franchise world?

• Sideshow Toys! All bow to the mighty Sideshow!

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • Hot Toys! Doesn't get any hotter than this.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Medicom. It's the Medi way or the highway!

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Are you kidding? All of them!

Votes: 11 12.5%

• Total voters
I went with medicom.... they're so diverse in terms of franchises.... cowboy bebop, the matrix, they can switch on and off from animie to movie characters like if it was nothing...
Video Games
Movies
TV personalities
Famous people
COMICS
I mean who the hell does pokemon figures???!!

look at their new edward and alphonse figures..
edward1.jpg

edward2.jpg

edward4.jpg

edward3.jpg

edward5.jpg

al2.jpg

I don't see sideshow or hot toys doing this...

and not only that... around here medicom is the hippest you'll find... they are a close with the company "A Bathing Ape" or "Bape" a very expensive line of urban clothing.....

Bape stuff is quite expensive... their kicks run for about 300 bills...

ala the Bape Bear Bricks?

Last edited:
I voted for Sideshow.

Hot Toys was a very, very close second.

The only gripe I have against Hot Toys is their price. I hate to compare figures by their retail prices but it was a factor that I just had to concider. If you take away the "retail price" factor from the equasion and just compare the figures, then I'd say that IMO Hot Toys had a better year.

Medicom this year just didn't produce nothing I was really interested in except Jack Sparrow and the Rocketeer. Both were great figures but both together weren't enough to bump them up on my list.

snakebeater said:
I went with medicom.... they're so diverse in terms of franchises.... cowboy bebop, the matrix, they can switch on and off from animie to movie characters like if it was nothing...
Video Games
Movies
TV personalities
Famous people
COMICS
I mean who the hell does pokemon figures???!!

look at their new edward and alphonse figures..
edward1.jpg

edward2.jpg

edward4.jpg

edward3.jpg

edward5.jpg

al2.jpg

I don't see sideshow or hot toys doing this...

and not only that... around here medicom is the hippest you'll find... they are a close with the company "A Bathing Ape" or "Bape" a very expensive line of urban clothing.....

Bape stuff is quite expensive... their kicks run for about 300 bills...

ala the Bape Bear Bricks?

I dont think ppl here can really appreciate Medicom SB. Medicom's best stuff has no meaning to most of the ppl on this board. I think Medicom does Incredible work. All their Kamen Riders, Anime characters and Tokusatsu stuff are Incredible. Look at the upcoming Garo Kouga and Hibiki Human form and tell me that Medicom can't nail a Likeness. They are Great.

In terms of Movie figures, I think Hot Toys Just Blows Away Sideshow. There is just no contest. To me, The Only things that Sideshow does that could even be considered "outstanding" are their 1/4 scale stuff. Sideshow's Movie 1/6 Is Ok. Good For the Price but weak in craftsmanship and quality when compared to the 1/6 scale figure makers in HK and Korea.

I Love BAPE too but you wont find many (if any) here on this board who could appreciate the beauty of Urban Art. Or would even know what the hell you're talking about.

Sideshow rools. You can't get more bang for your buck. What can you get from Hot Toys or Medicom for $45 or $60 even. Sweet FA.

creecher said:
Sideshow rools. You can't get more bang for your buck. What can you get from Hot Toys or Medicom for $45 or $60 even. Sweet FA.

In terms of Value of Movie 1/6 Sideshow is the Best. no doubt. But their figures are lacking when compared to Higher end figures made by Hardcore 1/6 figure makers in Asia. Sideshow is #1 in Value for Movie 1/6 but are far down the list with Quality and Craftsmanship IMO. Bodies too bulky, heads are too big sometimes, Articulation only average at best, Clothing feels cheap at times, etc.

For 1/6 value in General I think Dragon is Way Better than SSC. Their Military figures are the same price as SSC for the most part and theirs Blows SSC's away.

Yeah but military figures don't come with the expense of a license.

Sideshow are THE company FOR the collector, hands down. They supply a collectible priced within reason. If we are talking quality without consideration for the dollar, then go Enterbay.

When you say "For 1/6 value in General I think Dragon is Way Better than SSC." I find it lacking in appreciation for collectors, such as myself, who aren't American. Then again, I'm assuming you are, to make such a comment. Then again maybe you aren't and I am the one lacking the appreciation. Hard to tell. In any event, Sideshow is the company for me, because even here in Australia, Sideshow are cheaper than Dragon. So I have to go with Sideshow, no matter what anyone says or how lacking I am.:lol

Last edited:
creecher said:
Yeah but military figures don't come with the expense of a license.

Sideshow are THE company FOR the collector, hands down. They supply a collectible priced within reason. If we are talking quality without consideration for the dollar, then go Enterbay.

That's why I say Best value for Movie 1/6. When I brought up the Military, I compared with Sideshow's Military.

IMHO I think Every Company is for the Collector. Sideshow puts out cheaper product yes, but all companies are working to please fans whether you got the bills or not.

As for Enterbay, Yes that was my point. Sideshow is good for the value but when it really comes down to the quality and craftsmanship their tier is only so so.

creecher said:
When you say "For 1/6 value in General I think Dragon is Way Better than SSC." I find it lacking in appreciation for collectors, such as myself, who aren't American. Then again, I'm assuming you are, to make such a comment. Then again maybe you aren't and I am the one lacking the appreciation. Hard to tell. In any event, Sideshow is the company for me, because even here in Australia, Sideshow are cheaper than Dragon. So I have to go with Sideshow, no matter what anyone says or how lacking I am.:lol

I'm not American. I'm Japanese. I am not saying anyone is lacking or to imply I am lacking any appreciation. Cause I dont. In most places of the world, SSC and Dragon are pretty much around the same price. Even if Dragon is more expensive, it's only by a little but the quality of Dragon (All accessories are finer detailed and clothing is much better tailored than SSC Military) more than makes up for the extra few dollars the Dragon figure may cost. That's what I mean by Value. Granted, SSC has done very few Military pcs but from what they have done I'm pretty sure Dragon would do better at more or less the same price.

Tendou-Kabuto said:
I dont think ppl here can really appreciate Medicom SB. Medicom's best stuff has no meaning to most of the ppl on this board. I think Medicom does Incredible work. All their Kamen Riders, Anime characters and Tokusatsu stuff are Incredible. Look at the upcoming Garo Kouga and Hibiki Human form and tell me that Medicom can't nail a Likeness. They are Great.

I'll agree with you there since I have no clue what any of those characters are except Kamen Rider. :lol I'll admit I loathe "anime" so those kind of figures do absolutely nothing for me.

Tendou-Kabuto said:
I'm not American. I'm Japanese.
Well I guess you don't have to pay as much for having the Asian figures shipped, so I see your point with Hot Toys and Medicom figures. Cool. If I were in your position I would have to agree.

this picture from kabuto's gallery reinforces my statements....

GaroMEDI.jpg
[/

who else could reproduce a outfitt like this?

simpley amazing.... and their likeness is great...

Hot toys also gets points from me... they're just amazing....

BAPESTA FOR THE WIN.

creecher said:
Well I guess you don't have to pay as much for having the Asian figures shipped, so I see your point with Hot Toys and Medicom figures. Cool. If I were in your position I would have to agree.

shipping is not even the factor, some canadians have to pay ALOT more in customs and everything for a sideshow figure....

I just don't think sideshow can uphold the name "high end".

Hmmm I thought this thread was just a poll of everyones faves, not another tired Sideshow sucks compared to company XXXX thread.

Tendou-Kabuto said:
Sideshow's Movie 1/6 Is Ok. Good For the Price but weak in craftsmanship and quality when compared to the 1/6 scale figure makers in HK and Korea.
Hmmm aren't Sideshow's figures made in Asia? And what MASS production 1/6th company is from Hong Kong and Korea? And don't list any customizers that sell 5 figures at $800 each.

edward4.jpg

I don't dig the tuff looking 11 year old kid anime style, so these type figures do nothing for me. But what the hell is up with that Hasbro looking molded belt? That screams cheap. But since it's Medicom, it's tops all.

EVILFACE said:
Hmmm I thought this thread was just a poll of everyones faves, not another tired Sideshow sucks compared to company XXXX thread.

Hmmm aren't Sideshow's figures made in Asia? And what MASS production 1/6th company is from Hong Kong and Korea? And don't list any customizers that sell 5 figures at $800 each.

edward4.jpg

I don't dig the tuff looking 11 year old kid anime style, so these type figures do nothing for me. But what the hell is up with that Hasbro looking molded belt? That screams cheap. But since it's Medicom, it's tops all.

The final product is made in Asia for every toy company. Just the other companies final product quality is better. Sideshow is good for the money but if we talk quality Sideshow is only Ok. There are many figure makers in HK and Korea. They atre Much smaller than SSC, HT or Medicom but they do do things regualrly in Ltd qty. I'd say 100-300 pcs is a little bit beyond just being a custom.

As for Edward, The Belt is molded to replicate the exaggerated shape that a belt in an Anime would look that would be much more difficult to reproduce in leather. That doesn't mean the quality of the figure is any worse. Sometimes sculpted details are actually better. Have you seen pics of Edward without his clothes on? Or seen detailed pictures of his accessories? The work put into the figure is just breathtaking. Everything is recreated exactly as it's seen in the anime. If you follow the Anime you'd know what I'm talking about but as I'm sure you dont you cant appreciate the effort that's put into this figure. Also He's 16 BTW

Also, I'm not saying Medicom tops all. I'm just saying that aside from Sideshow's value, they are not very high in the tier. They are beat when it comes to Quality and craftsmanship.

I think Sideshow is the coolest, funest, hottest company on Earth right now but Hot Toys smokes them on quality figures. From their Aliens, Terminator, Predator, Rambo and Robocop, these figures may cost twice as much as Sideshows but I know I am paying for top notch quality whereas I have had issues with Sideshows quality on several figures, specifically paint aps and quality control. They get a big "Needs Improvement" in that category.

As for Medicom, the scale conversion and anime likenesses on Jack Bauer and their Star Wars figures really turns me off.

Back