1/4 vs 1/6 figures (not statues)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1/4 the new 1/6

• Total voters
Re: Is 1/4 the new 1/6!

1/6 is plenty. 1/4 is a nice scale for mixed media statues, but I don't see the point of articulated figures at such a clumsy size. And the price for these upcoming Hot Toys and Enterbay pieces will also push collectors away. For those who dig it, enjoy! Definitely not for me, though.

Ball jointed dolls which are huge (no pun intended) and popular in Korea, Japan and asia have a huge followers. And they are mainly 1/4 scale and 1/3 scale.

No. 1/6th has an unexplainable charm. It's small, yet awesomely detailed. It feels nice to handle. 1/4th feels too big. It's clumsy, clunky and just too damn high. Plus, you can fit quite some 1/6thers in a detolf. How many 1/4ths until you need to buy another detolf, which means you need more room, blahblah. So no, it's not the new 1/6th.

Ball jointed dolls which are huge (no pun intended) and popular in Korea, Japan and asia have a huge followers. And they are mainly 1/4 scale and 1/3 scale.

It could be that they aren't intended for the Western collector at all - but are more for the Asian market. I collect PFs, but I don't know that I need to pose them and their appeal is that they can capture a moment in time with dynamic poses and expressions, that you just don't get (or want) with posable figures.

I am interested in tons of detail, but I want it as miniature as possible. That way, I can display more (I don't have any display room at all right now). If they made 1/12 or smaller figures that looked like Hot Toys figures, I'd be all over it. 1/1 makes no sense to me at all. You could just hire a guy to stand in the corner of your room, and he'd be more detailed (and potentially creepy) than any 1/1 statue. For now, its 1/6: You can get great articulation and detail, but they aren't ridiculously huge like 1/4 or bigger.

I like 1/6 mostly but I'm a sucker for 1/4 mixed media.

I would only splurge for a 1/4 scale figure if it's something I really want, like a T-1000. Y'hear me Enterbay? :wave

1/4 is not the new 1/6 in my opinion... but it certainly is welcome.

Good to read everybody’s points of view. 1/6 just feels right in hand, maybe it’s because I was brought up with Action Man figures. 1/4 looks good for statues but I’m not really a fan of statues either. 1/1 is ideal if you have the space but it’s not a figure, it’s a prop/statue. Cost doest really come into it, I’m sure if you guys fall in love with something you’ll do whatever it takes to own it. Agree it’s still early days for 1/4 figures but here in Asia/Bangkok it seems to be taking off, I have seen many anime cartoon characters in 1/4. One thing that gets to me is people comparing the detail or quality of 1/4 to 1/6, these people should be banned from owning either lol

The guys ____ting on 1/4... will stop ____ting on it when either company pushes out a great 1/4 figure in a franchise they really like.

Enterbay's T2 T-800 is just the beginning.

Wait until Enterbay 1/4 Batman & Joker come out.

And then Hot Toys 1/4 Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises

They've changed things forever.... see to them, you're just a collecting freak.... like me!

It could be that they aren't intended for the Western collector at all - but are more for the Asian market. I collect PFs, but I don't know that I need to pose them and their appeal is that they can capture a moment in time with dynamic poses and expressions, that you just don't get (or want) with posable figures.

different strokes for different folks I guess:exactly: but personally I'd prefer having the option of styling and making the own poses on my figures, or change them every now and then, rather than have one static pose, even though they capture the figure's character and moment.

Keep ya 1:6....I'll take 1:4, *cough cough 1:5* anyday. I mean 1:4 *cough, cough*. :monkey1

That being said, I really hope HT is still doing these by the time Avengers 2 comes around. Because a larger Giant Man (1/4 scale of his normal height :D ) would be great.

I think the more interesting question is if HT will still be around by the time Avengers 2 comes out.

Will there be anyone left willing to spend $500 on a 1/6 Iron Man Mk9??

Wait, don't answer that. . . of course, there will. :slap

I think the more interesting question is if HT will still be around by the time Avengers 2 comes out.

Will there be anyone left willing to spend $500 on a 1/6 Iron Man Mk9??

Wait, don't answer that. . . of course, there will. :slap

I was a big Iron Man fan, but with the way they are dishing this out, honestly I could pass on the 1/4 IM figures and stick with my 1/6th.:lol

Or I might just buy the 1/4 and sell the 1/6 versions to fund for it, like what I did with the T800.

I love my 14 scale t800 but I don't have the room or money to get all the obscure characters that I can get in 1 6 scale.I will get some of my favorites in 1 4 scale but I get almost every hot toys realease.even movies I don't like that much I still get the figure but 1 4 scales are just 2 big to build a decent size collection.

Bingo. The larger the scale, the pricer, and the fewer characters that will get made. Look at Star Wars. The 3 3/4" line has made HUNDREDS of characters because the scale is small and the figures are cheap. You won't be seeing obcure background characters in 1/4 or even 1/2 scale. Although Sideshow has been making some pretty non-A list characters from Star Wars in PF. But 1/6 is the scale for great quality and decent depth.

Anything bigger you get more quality, less depth. Anything smaller, you get less quality, but more depth.

Back