1/4 vs 1/6 figures (not statues)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1/4 the new 1/6

• Total voters
Re: Is 1/4 the new 1/6!

1:4 scale figures make no sense to me. Statues, yes. Figures? Seems excessive. And clumsy.

:exactly:
QFT, I don't like the idea of 1/4 figures. 1/6 is difficult enough to futz and pose. I don't want to think about all that extra weight increased materials would add.

1/6 for the win, peppered with the occasional 1/4 when a piece truly befits it. I.e: 1/4 HT Predator.

If their 1/4 predator have a new developed hidden joints system (like their Leonidas figure), then I'm for it. However, if its just an enlarged version of their current 1/6 Predators' body then I dont think its necessary :huh

Because the only way to upgrade to 1/4 scale is to offer more realism to the figure that isnt possible to 1/6 scale, as the case with EB T-800 figure.

Its an interesting topic, worth a thread of its own.

Considering the price points of HT 1/6 figures now, I'm afraid to think of what their 1/4 scales will cost and especially if they follow a similar pattern to the 1/6 releases, with each one more expensive than the last.

I may not be able to resist some of them, particularly Terminator-related ones (have the EB figure on order), however the cost, rather than the size, will probably make it impossible for me to jump right in, especially when I'll still be collecting 1/6. As regards the Predator ones, I may have to stick to NECA and hope they make the P2 at least.

And after seeing and owning a 1/4 EB T800 figure, I'm quite certain that if theres another similar thread like this at the end of 2012 after most of us see and own more of HT's and EB's 1/4 action figure offerings, the result of the polls would be significantly different.

Its an interesting topic, worth a thread of its own.

Considering the price points of HT 1/6 figures now, I'm afraid to think of what their 1/4 scales will cost and especially if they follow a similar pattern to the 1/6 releases, with each one more expensive than the last.

I may not be able to resist some of them, particularly Terminator-related ones (have the EB figure on order), however the cost, rather than the size, will probably make it impossible for me to jump right in, especially when I'll still be collecting 1/6. As regards the Predator ones, I may have to stick to NECA and hope they make the P2 at least.

I dont think you can compare the Neca 1/4 P2 and HT 1/4 P2. Its not even apples and oranges; more like apples and caviars.

I dont think you can compare the Neca 1/4 P2 and HT 1/4 P2. Its not even apples and oranges; more like apples and caviars.

Well I wasn't comparing anything. Just saying that for price reasons I may have to stick to NECAs 1/4 scale Predators if I want them in that size. Also there isn't any 1/4 scale P2s from either company yet to compare anyway!

Well I wasn't comparing anything. Just saying that for price reasons I may have to stick to NECAs 1/4 scale Predators. Also there isn't any 1/4 scale P2s from either company yet to compare anyway!

I'm just saying that just from looking at the previous stuffs that they release so far, in terms of quality and the details. English isnt my first language and couldnt have word it better:slap Sorry if you took offense into what I said, bud :peace

I'm just saying that just from looking at the previous stuffs that they release so far, in terms of quality and the details. English isnt my first language and couldnt have word it better:slap Sorry if you took offense into what I said, bud :peace

No offense taken, thanks Hydeous :)

For the sake of my wallet I'm hoping I will find it in myself to be content enough with the NECA ones. I do think the existing 1/4 NECA P1 is a fantastic piece.

It's a niche spec.

But I see 1/4 figures replacing some statue collector's stuff though.

I'd never get into 1/4 scale. They're too big. A few would be nice but no way I'm collecting those.

Like Hydeous, I think it is too soon to say, but 1/4 scale articulated figures feel like more of a fad to me. Seems that Hot Toys is only doing it as escalation to better run Enterbay into the ground, otherwise it would be an Enterbay only thing and wouldn't be getting too much attention. There is a pretty rich history of 1/6th scale collecting (going back to GI Joes and Barbies) in part because I think it is a size of collectible that we intuitively like and know what to do with. 1/4 scale is, like Devilof76 says, a bit clunkier for action figures, will be much more expensive, and will take up so much more space. I think they will be reasonably popular, but that they will appeal to more of a niche audience, similar to 1/4 scale statues.

That being said, I really hope HT is still doing these by the time Avengers 2 comes around. Because a larger Giant Man (1/4 scale of his normal height :D ) would be great.

I agree about the history of the 1/6 figure. 1/6 scale has a certain nostalgic quality to it that appeals to me. It's also the perfect scale to be in awe of how things are miniaturized, without losing much detail like you have to with anything smaller than that.

And I agree with everyone else that the added cost and space issue is simply not worth it to me.

I've got to agree it's still too early yet to tell.
while I'm not certain that the 1/4th market will really take off, and become as big as the 1/6th figure market, I can say,that I do not believe the 1/4th market will really effect the 1/6th market in any meaningful way.
People who prefer 1/6th figures will stick to it, as there is something to be said for uniformity in a collection. This, above all else is the reason why I have ZERO interest is 1/4th scale figures.
However, I would not be surprised if the 1/4th figure market as it grows, pulls people away from PF figures.
If I were a company who makes alot of PF figures, I would be watching this new market very VERY closely.
I also think that alot of the, as I call them " statue Kids", who primaraly collect 1/4th PF figures? But buy the occasional sideshow or hot toys figure, then complain, at length, about exposed joints? They will likely migrate to these figures.

Why?
At this larger scale, seamless bodies that don't break would be easier to do.

Last edited:

1/4 because I like statues better
but i don't know about 1/4 figures
and this 1/5 scale is annoying

1/6 is good for bashing. Can't imagine switching bodies/parts and accessories in 1/4.

1/6 is plenty. 1/4 is a nice scale for mixed media statues, but I don't see the point of articulated figures at such a clumsy size. And the price for these upcoming Hot Toys and Enterbay pieces will also push collectors away. For those who dig it, enjoy! Definitely not for me, though.

Quarter scale is cool for somethings (I love my Carnage and Venom) but it is just too large for any sizeable collection. 1/6 gives nice detail, reasonable affordability and bashability in a size that is manageable.

Back