1/4 Hot Toys QS07 Iron Man 3: Iron Man Mark XLII Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/4 Hot Toys QS Iron Man 3: Mark XLII Collectible Figure

where is the 1/4 Predator at then?

If they thought it could make them more money they would make it. Do you think they, the company that is arguably the top scale manufacturing company on the planet that has won dozens of best licensor of the year awards, that has made many predator figures and has years of sales data figures as well as a direct line to the people that make the films as well as the retailers all over the world that sell ..do you think These people who have more applicable data then anyone else..would just not make something they thought would sell better on purpose?

There is no data out there that says a 1/4 predator would sell better then anything else they have offered.

Did they not just announce a Ripley figure, release a predator figure, and alien, a bttf figure, a commando figure? It's not like they have stopped making those other figures. That's where this argument looses me.

It isn't my argument. I simply said that if that is indeed the case then I can understand the frustration. I'll be more than happy if HT cranks out nothing but SW and Marvel from here on out. But if they ever do LOTR it will be a dream come true.

your obviously not a Predator fan.

Which is immaterial. There's all kinds of stuff I would personally want, but that doesn't mean it will sell as well as something else. My two favorite properties are He-man and xmen. Neither of which get much love in merchandise. But that doesn't mean either would sell better then something else. Being a fan of something individually does not mean there is collective interest, or higher collective interest then something else.

Predators sell. In fact, before Iron Man, Predator/Aliens was their bread and butter. There have been so many variations, one even hit just this week. I find it hard to believe a 1/4 Predator would be a tough sale for them. The fact of the matter is, they don't even bother trying to find out. It's just Iron Man, Iron Man, Iron Man (literally in a triple succession in the span of two years).

There's no sales research for how well a Hot Toys 1/4 Predator would sell though because they haven't made one.

image.jpeg

People wouldn't gripe about it if they didn't obnoxiously announce that they were going to make a 1/4 Dutch (Arnold) and Predators from the various movies back in 2011 (along with the 1/4 Police Shootout T-800, 1/4 Burton Batman and 1/4 The Avengers figures).

Going back to the initial discussion that brought this up, the current Quarter Scale assortment is boring when you look at what they've offered since the line's conception back in 2011. Obviously not for Iron Man collectors since they always get to feel like a pig in **** with the amount of offerings they get, but for the rest of us, 5 years later, they have nothing to show for it. You have ONE character hogging up THREE releases in the span of TWO years. Might as well make it like the Power Pose or bust sub-lines that are exclusively Iron Man related.

Last edited:

Predators sell. In fact, before Iron Man, Predator/Aliens was their bread and butter. There have been so many variations, one even hit just this week. I find it hard to believe a 1/4 Predator would be a tough sale for them. The fact of the matter is, they don't even bother trying to find out. It's just Iron Man, Iron Man, Iron Man (literally in a triple succession in the span of two years).

There's no sales research for how well a Hot Toys 1/4 Predator would sell though because they haven't made one.

View attachment 274104

People wouldn't gripe about it if they didn't obnoxiously announce that they were going to make a 1/4 Dutch (Arnold) and Predators from the various movies back in 2011 (along with the 1/4 Police Shootout T-800, 1/4 Burton Batman and 1/4 The Avengers figures).

Going back to the initial discussion that brought this up, the current Quarter Scale assortment is boring when you look at what they've offered since the line's conception back in 2011. Obviously not for Iron Man collectors since they always get to feel like a pig in **** with the amount of offerings they get, but for the rest of us, 5 years later, they have nothing to show for it. You have ONE character hogging up THREE releases in the span of TWO years. Might as well make it like the Power Pose or bust sub-lines that are exclusively Iron Man related.

Holy Christ...5 years. Has it been THAT long ago?

Y'know what? Nvm, it actually feels a lot longer than that. But still, 5 GD years. That's...that's just unacceptable.

Yes predators sell. And by that logic...the point you made was they made 1/6 predators so obviously they sell...well by that logic iron man sells WAY better...since they made more.

They didn't start with a 1/4 of say pepper Potts. The figure they hav announced are from, by th exact logic you just made, the best selling they have. Since 2009. (When th first iron man figures hit). And since then have been the most used/made.

As for the "obnoxious" way they announced...really? Your kidding with that right? First, it's doesn't say any specific figure at all. It's a requirement of the license that they have to disclose that thy have it. So they did. They purchased the rights for 1/6 and 1/4. That's not in any way (especially not an obnoxious way) promise that they will make a 1/4 scale Dutch. An announcement is what they just did with the 42. And given that thy announced in the same manner they had the avengers and iron man 3 ect 1/4 and 1/6 scale licenses years ago.

And yes, there is no 1/4 scale predator figure data. But there is 1/6 scale predator data. And there wasn't any 1/4 iron man data before they made it either. However, that doesn't mean there isn't sales data they can use to make educated risk assessments after becoming a successful company. Do you think 1/4 scale figures would sell more then 1/6? And keep in mind hot toys does have direct 1/6 to 1/4 comparison of four previous figures.they can look at how the bale batman figures did in 1/6 and 1/4, same for terminator. And then look at how sales of predator figures are. Compare the many releases and see if there is any loss of sales as figures increase in price. They have hundreds and hundreds of unique figures and products they can use to make business decisions...which is what they are.

They and way more information then anyone else. And yes, there is no 1/4 scale predator figure by hot toys...but thst doesn't mean there's no data to use to come to an opinion about if you think it will sell. Correct? hot toys do that as a profession, and are generally regarded as the best in the profession, has nearly 20 years experience and hundreds of thousands of individual sales data points and who do in fact have to take the risk btw...well it seems like they may know more about it then us.

That pic hurts. I remember being so excited. I wish present me could send a message back to past me not to get hyped at all.

That pic hurts. I remember being so excited. I wish present me could send a message back to past me not to get hyped at all.

I had pretty much forgotten about it. But that pic is a painful reminder how much HT can suck at times. They're definitely not the company they used to be. They used to be that cool friend back in the day. But then stumbled upon some money, met a hot chick, and then said peace out.

There's been many surprises without having to disclose that they had the license before ( Optimus Prime)

That's just BS. As always.

Last edited:

Yes predators sell. And by that logic...the point you made was they made 1/6 predators so obviously they sell...well by that logic iron man sells WAY better...since they made more.

They didn't start with a 1/4 of say pepper Potts. The figure they hav announced are from, by th exact logic you just made, the best selling they have. Since 2009. (When th first iron man figures hit). And since then have been the most used/made.

As for the "obnoxious" way they announced...really? Your kidding with that right? First, it's doesn't say any specific figure at all. It's a requirement of the license that they have to disclose that thy have it. So they did. They purchased the rights for 1/6 and 1/4. That's not in any way (especially not an obnoxious way) promise that they will make a 1/4 scale Dutch. An announcement is what they just did with the 42. And given that thy announced in the same manner they had the avengers and iron man 3 ect 1/4 and 1/6 scale licenses years ago.

And yes, there is no 1/4 scale predator figure data. But there is 1/6 scale predator data. And there wasn't any 1/4 iron man data before they made it either. However, that doesn't mean there isn't sales data they can use to make educated risk assessments after becoming a successful company. Do you think 1/4 scale figures would sell more then 1/6? And keep in mind hot toys does have direct 1/6 to 1/4 comparison of four previous figures.they can look at how the bale batman figures did in 1/6 and 1/4, same for terminator. And then look at how sales of predator figures are. Compare the many releases and see if there is any loss of sales as figures increase in price. They have hundreds and hundreds of unique figures and products they can use to make business decisions...which is what they are.

They and way more information then anyone else. And yes, there is no 1/4 scale predator figure by hot toys...but thst doesn't mean there's no data to use to come to an opinion about if you think it will sell. Correct? hot toys do that as a profession, and are generally regarded as the best in the profession, has nearly 20 years experience and hundreds of thousands of individual sales data points and who do in fact have to take the risk btw...well it seems like they may know more about it then us.

they don't need "data" of any previous Predator figures, all they have to do is look at 1/4 Predator statue values. Considering a large percentage of statue collectors also collect figures, it's a real no brainer that if a high end, accurate Predator figure were made in TRUE 1/4 scale, it would sell like hot cakes. Anyone that collects Predator knows this. 1/4 High end Predators in figure or statue form are wanted.

Not to get into the middle of this debate, but to me it seems plausible that the Mk42 wouldn't have been if not for the fact that it's exactly the same suit as the Mk43 (with a different color scheme). Wouldn't be a stretch to call it a convenience thing. They already have everything they need to make it, just need to switch up their ratio of red and gold paint applied lol. That's not to say that if it weren't the Mk42 that it would be a predator, but to me it just makes sense to see if they can capitalize on the success of the Mk43 and parlay that into success of the Mk42 without any additional cost to tooling/engineering/molding/etc.

In either scenario, does the release of one figure = the non release of another? I'm not sure if it works that way tbh. Just because Nike focuses on Lebron doesn't mean they don't release KDs, Kyries, and Kobes as well. Just my 2 cents. As someone who's managed in sales, I know it's important to try and keep everyone happy, but I'm definitely going to offer the most of what I know sells well. Just how business is.

Oh that is fantastic... :rotfl I want one for a pet...

And that's the point of contention. Iron Man. Nobody is refuting that it sells well. It doesn't make it any less annoying that that's where their focus is. It's not balanced or spaced well at all and Hot Toys is completely unabashed in their pursuit of the almighty Iron Man shekels.

No, I'm not kidding you. Hot Toys is an obnoxious company when it comes to what they announce along with their horrendous turn around time. I know I'm not the only one that is completely turned off by their throw away lines like "coming soon" and "stay tuned". No company has had a worse track record of this than Hot Toys.

Dutch was their first figure planned. This is their words, not mine,

"Moreover, we will be bringing the collectible of Dutch featuring our beloved actor Arnold Schwarzenegger in 1/4th scale too!

Fans, please stay tuned!"

5 years later, not a single 1/4 Arnold in sight, not even the "coming soon in 2012 Police Shootout T-800!" Hindsight is 20/20 and Hot Toys is full of ****. The 1/4 Iron Man 3 and AoU suits didn't even exist when figures like Dutch, the Predator, the Terminator and Batman were in development. It's clear as day that the customer and fan base of classic licenses aren't really on their radar anymore. In fact, all those announcements from 2011 to 2012 just seemed to be a ******** contest with Enterbay, who was having a small, humble success with their 1/4 figure line. Hot Toys being the huge, successful corporate business couldn't have that though. To me, Hot Toys is a huge turn off. They buy up licenses that they have no intent on pursuing or producing to their full potential, and if they do do them, they half ass them. They've abandoned their monthly QnA's for about two years now and have awful communication outside their Facebook announcement page. They've platued in what they can achieve in sculpting, paint and tailoring (if Iron Man wasn't evidence of this enough), and they're just not pushing the envelope. Unless of course you count those silly, 1:1 Batman v Superman statues they've committed to from one of the most disappointing blockbusters of the year. We're talking sales and what sells? I'd love to see their yearly reports for those. It's bad enough some of their over produced 1/6 figures sit around, don't even want to think about warehouses of 1:1 imported scale crap that few people are interested in. Now imagine if those had been the 1/4 figures they intended to produce years ago? Hmm.

So by this logic based on sales data, we can expect to see mostly quarter scale Iron Man figures from here on out, with the occasional Star Wars character thrown in because they sell more. Perfect. :lol

Surely you can see why other collectors would be cynical when it basically boils down to "sure, we could produce those figures we planned on selling before, but why do those when Iron Man sells more!" It's gross. Sure, it's business and profit for them, but it doesn't make it any less obnoxious.

Fact of the matter is, they haven't put a Predator up for sale so they don't know how well it would do, period. Using 1/6 Predator sales as the bar is silly when you consider the past couple of years have been nothing but AvP redoos. When was the last time they produced the classic Predator or Dutch? 2009? 2010? That sales data is different from figure to figure and they haven't tested the classics market for about 6 years. I guarantee had their alleged Dutch and Predator had come into fruition, they would have sold better than their random 1/6 AvP Predator 2.0s.

Hot Toys isn't going to last forever, this I can tell you. They only dominate the market in one area. Meanwhile these hungrier companies are rising up in quality and affordability.

Best analogy would be Rocky III. Hot Toys is Rocky and all these other smaller companies are Clubber Lang. The funny thing is, Hot Toys announced a new line of Rocky and Rambo figures years ago, (even documenting the license acquisition with a cheesy Sylvester Stallone and Howard Chan photo-op :lol), and those are no where to be seen. Sure, we all know why (Iron Man/Marvel/Disney = more profit), but that doesn't make it any less uninspiring.

The question that remains is, what is Hot Toys currently when they're not taking risks, when they're reissuing old and new figures, when they're doing gaudy repaints that would make Hasbro smile, when they're focusing on Iron Man exclusively because "he sells more" and what does this mean for their future. You can't be sustainable forever when you go this route where the easy business model and current trends clear the way for a quick buck.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

I think Hot Toys also buys licenses so competition does get it also.

And that's the point of contention. Iron Man. Nobody is refuting that it sells well. It doesn't make it any less annoying that that's where their focus is. It's not balanced or spaced well at all and Hot Toys is completely unabashed in their pursuit of the almighty Iron Man shekels.

No, I'm not kidding you. Hot Toys is an obnoxious company when it comes to what they announce along with their horrendous turn around time. I know I'm not the only one that is completely turned off by their throw away lines like "coming soon" and "stay tuned". No company has had a worse track record of this than Hot Toys.

Dutch was their first figure planned. This is their words, not mine,

"Moreover, we will be bringing the collectible of Dutch featuring our beloved actor Arnold Schwarzenegger in 1/4th scale too!

Fans, please stay tuned!"

5 years later, not a single 1/4 Arnold in sight, not even the "coming soon in 2012 Police Shootout T-800!" Hindsight is 20/20 and Hot Toys is full of ****. The 1/4 Iron Man 3 and AoU suits didn't even exist when figures like Dutch, the Predator, the Terminator and Batman were in development. It's clear as day that the customer and fan base of classic licenses aren't really on their radar anymore. In fact, all those announcements from 2011 to 2012 just seemed to be a ******** contest with Enterbay, who was having a small, humble success with their 1/4 figure line. Hot Toys being the huge, successful corporate business couldn't have that though. To me, Hot Toys is a huge turn off. They buy up licenses that they have no intent on pursuing or producing to their full potential, and if they do do them, they half ass them. They've abandoned their monthly QnA's for about two years now and have awful communication outside their Facebook announcement page. They've platued in what they can achieve in sculpting, paint and tailoring (if Iron Man wasn't evidence of this enough), and they're just not pushing the envelope. Unless of course you count those silly, 1:1 Batman v Superman statues they've committed to from one of the most disappointing blockbusters of the year. We're talking sales and what sells? I'd love to see their yearly reports for those. It's bad enough some of their over produced 1/6 figures sit around, don't even want to think about warehouses of 1:1 imported scale crap that few people are interested in. Now imagine if those had been the 1/4 figures they intended to produce years ago? Hmm.

So by this logic based on sales data, we can expect to see mostly quarter scale Iron Man figures from here on out, with the occasional Star Wars character thrown in because they sell more. Perfect. :lol

Surely you can see why other collectors would be cynical when it basically boils down to "sure, we could produce those figures we planned on selling before, but why do those when Iron Man sells more!" It's gross. Sure, it's business and profit for them, but it doesn't make it any less obnoxious.

Fact of the matter is, they haven't put a Predator up for sale so they don't know how well it would do, period. Using 1/6 Predator sales as the bar is silly when you consider the past couple of years have been nothing but AvP redoos. When was the last time they produced the classic Predator or Dutch? 2009? 2010? That sales data is different from figure to figure and they haven't tested the classics market for about 6 years. I guarantee had their alleged Dutch and Predator had come into fruition, they would have sold better than their random 1/6 AvP Predator 2.0s.

Hot Toys isn't going to last forever, this I can tell you. They only dominate the market in one area. Meanwhile these hungrier companies are rising up in quality and affordability.

Best analogy would be Rocky III. Hot Toys is Rocky and all these other smaller companies are Clubber Lang. The funny thing is, Hot Toys announced a new line of Rocky and Rambo figures years ago, (even documenting the license acquisition with a cheesy Sylvester Stallone and Howard Chan photo-op :lol), and those are no where to be seen. Sure, we all know why (Iron Man/Marvel/Disney = more profit), but that doesn't make it any less uninspiring.

The question that remains is, what is Hot Toys currently when they're not taking risks, when they're reissuing old and new figures, when they're doing gaudy repaints that would make Hasbro smile, when they're focusing on Iron Man exclusively because "he sells more" and what does this mean for their future. You can't be sustainable forever when you go this route where the easy business model and current trends clear the way for a quick buck.

View attachment 274123

*standing mother effin ovation*

Well said. Well said. The ****ing contest HT had with EB was...quite pathetically sad to be honest. The moment Eb dropped anything terminator related, HT was right there side by side. When EB were doing 1/4 T2 figures, HT had their, at the time, wholly inaccurate BD T2 Arnold. And in a desperate attempt to take ANY of the spotlight EB took, HT quickly posted that pic of TERMINATOR 1/6 and 1/4 scale! Stay tuned!....

5 years later and....

NOTHING.

Back