1/4 Hot Toys - QS005 - Avengers: AoU - Iron Man Mark 43 Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this thread is on the topic of light damage, I had a question that maybe some of you who've been in this for a couple years can answer. I don't have a windowless room to display my figures. I can probably avoid direct sunlight for the lifetime of the figures, but at what point do you start to notice changes regardless? And I'm more talking about overall figure fading/damage, not isolated issues like "pink panties." Or do you even notice changes at all?
hi, I've been collecting for almost 5 years. I display my figures in a room with a big window. although it's very bright, I don't think it's direct sunlight because I can't see the sun directly from my window.
haven't seen any paint fading though (or probably haven't noticed) except for my 1/6 iron man figures.
anything else I have, like jack sparrow, leonidas or even kamui are still good

hi, I've been collecting for almost 5 years. I display my figures in a room with a big window. although it's very bright, I don't think it's direct sunlight because I can't see the sun directly from my window.
haven't seen any paint fading though (or probably haven't noticed) except for my 1/6 iron man figures.
anything else I have, like jack sparrow, leonidas or even kamui are still good

That all sounded great until you said "except for my 1/6 Iron Man figures" as that's all I plan to collect :lol

But I do appreciate you sharing your experience. Thanks!

Since the hulkbuster got delayed again, I had to vent on to something. I've been eyeing this 1/4 scale for awhile. Got this yesterday & I was immediately impressed by this. Unfortunately, the light up function on the left leg is malfunctioning. Emailed midtowncomics & sideshow (since it's the distributor) hoping I can get a replacement. Otherwise, I have a big decision whether to keep it or return this. It's ashame coz I really love this figure.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

That all sounded great until you said "except for my 1/6 Iron Man figures" as that's all I plan to collect :lol

But I do appreciate you sharing your experience. Thanks!

I think the change of color on my iron men weren't because of sunlight.
because my mark 7 has pink panties syndrome right out of the box. He stayed in the box for a year after I bought him mint in box condition.
maybe because of the humudity in my country:dunno

because my mark 7 has pink panties syndrome right out of the box. He stayed in the box for a year after I bought him mint in box condition.

Yup, thats another big thing I always see collectors forgetting -- silica gel. We use silica gel in artifact cases to help control humidity levels, it's the number one reason you would want to have an enclosed case, yet nobody seems to know about them. You find silica most often in new boxes of shoes, but can find tons of silica packets online. Also a good idea to toss some in any storage areas you keep your figures. This will absolutely help with long term in-the-box discolouration.

Heat and humidity will cause the issue. There's nothing a company can do to prevent that with a painted plastic/vinyl/rubber product.

And silica packs won't prevent it if it's heat.

Heat and humidity will cause the issue. There's nothing a company can do to prevent that with a painted plastic/vinyl/rubber product.

And silica packs won't prevent it if it's heat.

Yes, subjecting your plastics to extreme heat will cause unpreventable damage. But that has nothing to do with the great deal of good silica will do for the conservation of your collection.

Like the rest here i also have defective lights on the left leg and the arc reactor. The leg turns off and the arc reactor ironically will not turn off. Any ides?

You know what is the worst? I just got the damn thing. I literally have played with it for an hour!

Damn!

Like the rest here i also have defective lights on the left leg and the arc reactor. The leg turns off and the arc reactor ironically will not turn off. Any ides?

You know what is the worst? I just got the damn thing. I literally have played with it for an hour!

Damn!

I know the feeling. The first thing I checked are the lights when I got it. Really disappointed. I got this on midtown comics but I also emailed sideshow. Hopefully I get a replacement. I guess I'll find out in the next few days. What I'm worried about is that they might not have a replacement part since it's sold out & waitlisted.

That's a great looking display BreadStickMan :clap Very classy

Thanks! That was suppose to be the hulkbuster in that spot. Such a beautiful figure & has a great presence. It's too bad it has defective lights on one of the legs.
If I can't get a replacement part I'm not sure if I'll keep it.

One of these days I'm going to get around to testing if all my Iron Man figures light up... Murphy's Law says they don't... :thud:

Another reason for me not to even bother... Ignorance is bliss.. :Flush

Haha! The lights on this guy are worth checking; the white plastic that HT used over the lights and reactor makes for a very different look, one that strongly evokes the movies. I have checked my arms and legs as well, but honestly they're far less important than the head and torso.

One of these days I'm going to get around to testing if all my Iron Man figures light up... Murphy's Law says they don't... :thud:

Another reason for me not to even bother... Ignorance is bliss.. :Flush

I am 2 out of 4 with regards to defective light function on an ironman figure. Luckily, sideshow has replaced all those defective. I'm worried they might not have a replacement part for this because it's already waitlisted & it's a massive figure

Haha! The lights on this guy are worth checking; the white plastic that HT used over the lights and reactor makes for a very different look, one that strongly evokes the movies. I have checked my arms and legs as well, but honestly they're far less important than the head and torso.

Yeah they are pretty cool. Makes this figure more autentic. I actually like those blue lights on the legs & rib cage, also the back thruster lights. The forearm blue lights, you can barely see.

yeah, there was no good reason to include the blue missile lights honestly. I too like the blue torso lights, but sometimes prefer to keep them off as it makes the reactor just a little brighter.

Popcultcha still has it. When they had the 20% off sale for Queens Birthday it was rediculously cheap...

Collecting anything does require basic conservation techniques. I used to collect baseball card topps autograph issues and the number 1 thing is to keep a card away from UV light. Of course, finding display cases for cards with museum glass is a heck of a lot easier to do than find a similar alternative with figures. That stuff is very expensive per square foot.

If you are very worried about discoloration try looking at cases developed for sports memorabilia. But I mean if you have a room with decent temperature control and can prevent the sun from beaming in directly on your figures, color preservation should be okay.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Back