1/4 DC Comics line - Prime 1 Studios

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allow me to articulate on that (english is not my main language so my posts often end up being too long): what you say is true, but it's also true that, as any business out there, Sideshow needs sales projections and they must plan ahead of time the expected profit they make, so that they know what kind of projects they can afford later on. Even if they don't actually lose money thanks to the sales in batches, they still end up with a lower than expected profit when an edition size is not completed.
Right now sideshow has the original Batman and Superman PFs in stock, Batman, Supes and WW Red Son PFs in preorder, Spidey PF in preorder, Brown Wolverine in preorder, plus a bunch of other projects that easily stack up to some thousands of pieces, even if produced in batches. Direct competition might (in theory, since we don't know any detail yet) put a dent into sales and thus it can easily end up with a lower profit margin for the company (due to lack of sales, not overproduction/remaining stock).
That's pretty much what I was saying, one way or another direct competition can easily lower the sales (which is entirely different than implying that the company will lose money or that "the XY company is about to burst" like some people claim so lightly).

No need to worry El Mule. Your English is much better than some of the people that are born in English speaking countries. I agree with you on lost revenue you mentioned with SSC. I think the original intent SSC had with the high ES on their merch was to take a big slice out of the aftermarket on their pieces. If they are able to keep producing in batches, that kills the aftermarket value of their pieces. With batch production, they get to scoop up profits instead of seeing their low ES merch sold at high markups in the aftermarket.

It was a good plan. However, now peeps have other options. The unsold REG Supes, Bats, and Wonder Woman PFs (among others), probably won't sell out because other alternatives are available. With XM releasing 1/4 Marvel pieces and Prime 1 releasing both Marvel and DC merch (along with a slew of other licenses), SSC can stand to lose a bunch of $$$. It'll be Interesting to see how all of this will play out.

Last edited:
The only one "subletting" the license would be DC Comics. What does Prime 1's license even have to do with Sideshow?

Every time something happens in the collecting world, it's Sideshows fault. My butt itches, blame Sideshow!
Again, Sideshow had a 3 year exclusive licensing agreement for 1/4 comic statues for DC characters. It was announced in 2014. Thus means they had exclusive rights to produce the statues until 2017.

If their licensing contract allows for it they could allow another company to produce pieces under the terms of their license in which they can then distribute.

Again, Sideshow had a 3 year exclusive licensing agreement for 1/4 comic statues for DC characters. It was announced in 2014. Thus means they had exclusive rights to produce the statues until 2017.

If their licensing contract allows for it they could allow another company to produce pieces under the terms of their license in which they can then distribute.

I would bet that this is a subcontracting type of deal. SSC has the main license but they open it up so Prime 1 can produce pieces that they then distribute. I know I heard a few years ago that SSC was looking to farm out various things to other companies... Like the DC LSF line. Looks like it might have been a successful relationship

I would bet that this is a subcontracting type of deal. SSC has the main license but they open it up so Prime 1 can produce pieces that they then distribute. I know I heard a few years ago that SSC was looking to farm out various things to other companies... Like the DC LSF line. Looks like it might have been a successful relationship
Yeah that was a rumor a about a year or so ago. They either felt they didnt have the right method or felt maybe the workload was too much and wanted to let Someone else take on the 1/2 scale DC stuff, which is why I think both the Legendary scale Catwoman and Joker never saw the light of day after they were both teased.

This is what P1 teased... not a N52 suit. Interpretation on SF is Lee statue could be 1/4.

3815_400x600.jpg

Curious, would you folks in the US (or anywhere XM doesn't ship to) give up on XM and go for P1 considering how it already costs a similar amount to have an XM statue shipped to your doorstep through third parties, while SS offers P1 products on their page? Plus scale, 1/4 XM vs 1/3 P1. Just wondering if it'll shift the balance in terms of collectors' preference, for both financial and non-financial reasons of course.

I personally prefer putting the money into the statue as opposed to the shipping. In XM's case it's unavoidable, but a global license would be so welcome. Right now I suppose my plan will be to continue to buy what I like. I do get the feeling that pieces like SS Batman and Superman will lose value because those are a given FROM P1. Probably Wonder Woman as well. However I don't know how extensive a catalog P1 is planning. At this point Sideshow should probably ditch mixed media altogether and just put that money and resources into sculpts, paints and finishes. They should also expand out the character catalog for Marvel and DC to produce more second and third tier. There are still a ton of candidates. The problem for them will be the lower ES. I can't imagine buying another Superman or Batman from SS, but they aren't going to be able to sell 3000 Robins or Hawkmen. Just good to see a competitor vs. a virtual monopoly which is never a good thing for buyers.

Curious, would you folks in the US (or anywhere XM doesn't ship to) give up on XM and go for P1 considering how it already costs a similar amount to have an XM statue shipped to your doorstep through third parties, while SS offers P1 products on their page? Plus scale, 1/4 XM vs 1/3 P1. Just wondering if it'll shift the balance in terms of collectors' preference, for both financial and non-financial reasons of course.

I doubt Prime 1 will do every character that XM is doing.... Right now XM is doing a lot of 2nd and 3rd tier characters that other statue companies won't touch.... Now if Prime 1 can do X-Men while XM can't then I'll be doing a lot of pre-order form Prime 1... as of now I get what I like from either company.

My Prediction for Prime 1 releases, is will see the Avengers (Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye) with DC's big six (Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Aquaman, The Flash and Green Lantern.... This will probably be the release schedule for the first couple years...

In their home countries I am sure that XM will be fine for the near future. It will depend thou on whether or it Prime 1, and by extension SSC (as they benefit from Prime 1s distribution) start taking a bigger bite of the pie, and start competing for licenses and driving the price up. Even for a limited distribution like XM has with their Marvel License they had to pay through the damn nose I am sure. If they start having to compete against Prime 1 directly, with SSC in Prime 1s corner so to speak, it could get very dicey as part of XMs biggest draw in their immediate area is the flipper market, and if guys in NA are leanng towards Prime 1, which seems to be the case on some of the FB boards, then they would mainly be selling to their local market and the hype will die down a bit. Heck I think it already is a little bit based on the difficulty in getting an XM piece to your door outside of their areas. Many who were all over XM after Magneto came out, and who had a reliable source, have been either forced to go completely to the aftermarket which is a scary thought for many as XM sells directly to the countries that are considered Recaster central (Mags and Iron Man have already been recast), or give up on XM all together.

Last edited:
Yea that's actually a worry for me because I've just got XM Studios Blackbolt in, and while he looks great and all, I feel I need finances for other things, and fortunately or not, NA seems to have the most demand when it comes to statues, XM or otherwise. The market just isn't as big in other parts of the world. So it'd be a problem for me if people stopped collecting XM and started moving towards P1 and SSC in the near future. But maybe that's just overthinking on my part.

Yea that's actually a worry for me because I've just got XM Studios Blackbolt in, and while he looks great and all, I feel I need finances for other things, and fortunately or not, NA seems to have the most demand when it comes to statues, XM or otherwise. The market just isn't as big in other parts of the world. So it'd be a problem for me if people stopped collecting XM and started moving towards P1 and SSC in the near future. But maybe that's just overthinking on my part.

I don't see Prime 1 offering everything XM is offering character wise... I mean sure if Prime 1 was doing all the same characters as XM but $200-$300 cheaper then yeah I would be worried, but I seriously doubt that will happen and until Prime 1 shows what they plan on doing I don't think there's anything to worry about.... I do think the days of people getting $1500+ for XM statues are gone given all the competition that has sprouted up over the last year but that's only going to hurt resellers and not XM Studios IMO. If anything will probably see XM start to lower their ES, for awhile there the ES was like 800-999 for everything, will probably start seeing the ES drop back down to 500-600 range (with exceptions of tier 1 characters)

Don't forget also we've only seen Prime 1 do standing museum poses, it will be interesting to see if they have talent in doing dynamic poses and creative bases like XM has done...

With that said I'm still looking forward to see what Prime 1 is offering in 1/4.. I love the QC on the Ninja Turtles I got from them but they are museum poses which is cool but I do like variety.. :)

Last edited:
Back then, people were used to buy PCS stuff and flip it in a few days for 2-3-4x retail.
Then, PCS stuff wasn't that hot anymore and flippers started making less and less on re-sales. People started moaning that this would have killed PCS company as a whole and yadda yadda.
Now PCS is adding new lines, has a ton of projects going on, sales are strong and they don't seem to give a double f--k about it. If flippers stop buying, it will only take some more time to sell out, nothing changes. People using secondary market to gauge the "health" of a company often come to flawed conclusions since they don't take into account a number of other factors.

Don't forget also we've only seen Prime 1 do standing museum poses, it will be interesting to see if they have talent in doing dynamic poses and creative bases like XM has done...

This is what I will need to see myself. I think Prime 1 statues are boring and uninspired, so they will need to step up their game big time to get me on board.

Back