1/3 Alien Big chap maquette - Coolprops

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Prime 1 & Coolprops 1/3 Alien Big chap maquette

a 1:3 Alien isn't all that detailed or complex in comparison to pieces they have already done. They wouldn't have any switch out options either more than likely. The license will be a factor, but I don't think that's why SS charges what they do.

They haven't attempted any Alien franchise designs before.You don't know what the license cost may be.Transformers (just as an example of Prime 1's offerings) are mostly geometric shapes that aren't as complex to reproduce.The paint apps are primarily metallics with weathering.The Dog alien for example, has a multi-tonal (along with being multi-layered) and extremely intricate paint job (if they are going with accuracy to the actual props) that they won't be able to fully replicate,but even an attempt to do so will be much more time consuming on the assemble and QC portion of manufacturing.Plus economies are improving,more money to squeeze out of people.I was leaning more on the high side of pricing because of these factors.

Most in the market for these types of higher-end pieces are really only willing to pay around $2000 tops,so that will likely be closer to actual cost minus the shipping, of course.

The CM Alien retailed for $1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and came with 2 signatures from Giger

They haven't attempted any Alien franchise designs before.You don't know what the license cost may be.Transformers (just as an example of Prime 1's offerings) are mostly geometric shapes that aren't as complex to reproduce.The paint apps are primarily metallics with weathering.The Dog alien for example, has a multi-tonal (along with being multi-layered) and extremely intricate paint job (if they are going with accuracy to the actual props) that they won't be able to fully replicate,but even an attempt to do so will be much more time consuming on the assemble and QC portion of manufacturing.Plus economies are improving,more money to squeeze out of people.I was leaning more on the high side of pricing because of these factors.

Most in the market for these types of higher-end pieces are really only willing to pay around $2000 tops,so that will likely be closer to actual cost minus the shipping, of course.

I would argue some of those Transformer pieces are way more difficult to produce than an Alien

I don't know, Gigers Alien has a heck of a lot more detail to it that it appears to have at first glance. There's a reason nobody ever seems to get it right. It will be a big job for Prime 1, but I suspect they are capable. I just hope that they embrace the man in the suit look, wrinkles and all rather than being unnecessarily embarrassed by it as Sideshow have been in the past and making him skinnier. He's called the "Big chap" for a reason, Koto got this very right with their recent offering, it was tiny though. As for the price, I just hope that Prime 1 decide on this and that Coolprops are not even invited to that discussion! Prime 1's 1/3 statues have been priced very fairly for what they offer imo, let's hope that continues into this line.

P1 might be the first alien n Pred I buy.

I would argue some of those Transformer pieces are way more difficult to produce than an Alien

Now you have me wondering what you're smoking!:lol

In all seriousness,the Transformers ARE intricate,but basic geometric shapes are always easier to reproduce even if there are alot of them.Those paint apps are also more akin to painting a vehicle rather than trying to replicating the look of a living creature, if that's what they are actually going to be aiming for.

Being that this is also a collaboration between two companies (CoolProps and Prime 1),both are looking to make money off of these and Maquettes in general are usually more time consuming and intricate overall to make (being that CoolProps have only priced and sold busts so far) and as a result 'can' usually cost more than busts.That could very well be the main reason for teaming up with Prime 1,to keep the prices within a certain point,being that they have more expertise in producing maquettes around that 2k price range.

RpUabcg.jpg

Now you have me wondering what you're smoking!:lol

In all seriousness,the Transformers ARE intricate,but basic geometric shapes are always easier to reproduce even if there are alot of them.Those paint apps are also more akin to painting a vehicle rather than trying to replicating the look of a living creature, if that's what they are actually going to be aiming for.

Being that this is also a collaboration between two companies (CoolProps and Prime 1),both are looking to make money off of these and Maquettes in general are usually more time consuming and intricate overall to make (being that CoolProps have only priced and sold busts so far) and as a result 'can' usually cost more than busts.That could very well be the main reason for teaming up with Prime 1,to keep the prices within a certain point,being that they have more expertise in producing maquettes around that 2k price range.

it doesn't matter what shape they are. Have you seen how many pieces some of the Transformer pieces come in? The amount of man hours it takes to paint and put together those characters would be way higher than any Alien. I've had both the CM Giger Alien and SS version. There is nothing spectacular about any of those paint apps from a detail stand point. Primes paint app won't be significantly better than those, so I don't see your argument at all.

I've had both the CM Giger Alien and SS version. There is nothing spectacular about any of those paint apps from a detail stand point. Primes paint app won't be significantly better than those, so I don't see your argument at all.

Wasn't the cm painted mostly black? I've never actually seen one in person although I often regretted not getting one until now. People think the Big chap was black, but he wasn't. He has a variety of colours all blended in, it isn't an easy paint app. I hope Prime 1's paint is better than both of those and I think that is a realistic expectation. I hope you're right however and these don't end up to be much more expensive than their existing lines. Details aside, I think the biggest difference to the price will undoubtedly be coolprops getting in on it, they can be rather inconsistent (almost greedy at times) when it comes to pricing.

Wasn't the cm painted mostly black? I've never actually seen one in person although I often regretted not getting one until now. People think the Big chap was black, but he wasn't. He has a variety of colours all blended in, it isn't an easy paint app. I hope Prime 1's paint is better than both of those and I think that is a realistic expectation. I hope you're right however and these don't end up to be much more expensive than their existing lines. Details aside, I think the biggest difference to the price will undoubtedly be coolprops getting in on it, they can be rather inconsistent (almost greedy at times) when it comes to pricing.

Do you have a example of what you "expect" the paint apps to look like? I've seen some insane custom paint jobs and if that's your guys expectations, it's way too high. Sideshows big chap isn't perfect in paint, but does have many colors in it and isn't all black. Only downfall was the hands on that one for me. The CM was all black, but had perfect chrome teeth and a high quality build and feel. Yes the paint fell a little short in detail, but it still goes for 3K or more.

CP is a very small and rather unsuccessful company from what I have seen from them, which is why they prolly got together in the first place. I don't think CP will be in any position to be making pricing decisions with the deal when Prime is so much larger and better at making collectibles.

I just mean that the CM version was entirely the wrong colour, and that while the SSC maquette is really nice, Prime 1 should be able to better it based solely on what I've seen of their other products. I think that is a realistic expectation? I think you know I don't expect a custom paint app on these, just a good one. I really hope you're right about coolprops not having a say in the price. They are the license holders however which is why P1 are working with them I believe, that may give them leverage to make certain demands. Seeing how much they are asking for their 1:1 big chap head ($500 more than the recent dog) Does not fill me with confidence.

Prime1 also joined IA for access to their Marvel license.
Not a bad business strategy.

we shall see. I would expect these lines around the 2k mark, but in order for them to sale as many as they hope to, they can't go much higher than that. CP pricing has never been consistent going back to their Bios and now they are asking ECC prices on their busts without the reputation to validate the price. Won't work out for them....

we shall see. I would expect these lines around the 2k mark, but in order for them to sale as many as they hope to, they can't go much higher than that. CP pricing has never been consistent going back to their Bios and now they are asking ECC prices on their busts without the reputation to validate the price. Won't work out for them....

You'd think not, but who knows, there's a lot of wealthy people out there these days. I suspect they are the target customers now rather than us. I don't generally like guessing prices as all it does is give the producers ideas. But I would hope these Aliens would be pre $1500. That's around $500 more than most of their Batman statues (some of which are highly detailed on large bases) so allows some room for the extra size and detail. The bases on these could easily be kept more simple as the focus should be on the larger and already impressive characters anyway. Prime 1 aren't at the mercy of the factory owners as they are the owners which gives them an advantage. But realistically I do expect they could be more. Too much more however and I'll struggle to get one currently, never mind several and as Alien fans go, I'm up there. I just hope they reveal more details of this soon so I can cancel a few existing orders if need be. This will be an expensive line whatever happens, Prime 1 giving us all a few details up front regarding what will be released when, and for how much might actually be a good idea for them so we can make plans and be in a better position to buy some.

Seeing as Mr Freeze is $1500, I really can't see the Alien line being any less than that.

Fix the chin. [emoji848]

Fix the chin. [emoji848]

Other than maybe a little texturing, what do you see wrong with the chin? The black background is making it hard to see the details ion that area and maybe making it look very slightly large if anything.

I'm not even sure what is in that teaser image, it's difficult to tell from the quality. It's probably just a digital render which they plan to base the sculpt on.

Both the 1:1 and the 1:3 appear to have chins that appear too large and round. It was pointed out to me and now I think I agree. Not a deal breaker though.

Both the 1:1 and the 1:3 appear to have chins that appear too large and round. It was pointed out to me and now I think I agree. Not a deal breaker though.

I thought it was slightly large also, but I'm guessing this is an early design concept. Given how good everything else is, I really don't think even I'd notice such a slight size error. And I'm an accuracy snob tbh...

Seeing as Mr Freeze is $1500, I really can't see the Alien line being any less than that.

I hadn't seen that, but looking at it, there's a lot going on with that statue. And I agree that an Alien is unlikely to be less. Around that price and I'm in however if it turns out half as good as the teaser image.

Back