If you could only have one LOTR WETA Statue...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizerwannabe

An Evil Collector?
Reaction score
Just getting into this line. Bought a few busts but want to make a big statue purchase. It seems the cave troll, stone trolls, and witch king are among the biggies. If you had 1000.00 to blow on one piece and didn't own any, which would you choose? Counting aesthetics and solid investment. Would love to hear some opinions.

Not for the investment definitely, but would have to go with Gandalf the Grey. Investment...................polystone is not a good investment..............sure you can maybe get a brgain here or there, but can you really be 100% sure that you are going to be able to get your money back? But if I had the money, not limiting to the $1000 and not based on what they are worth...................would need a Gandalf the Bronze and a daddy rog.

I would have to put the cave troll at the top of the list. The size and detail on this statue is amazing, and since he can be had cheaper than the Balrog(who is smaller than Cavey), I would go this route! I might favor the Balrog, since he wasn't offered as a bust, however.

Originally quoted by customizerwannabe
Why not? Is it the media or the subject matter?

I say it because it is not like you can go anywhere and trade it in for cash. You are solely relying on what someone else will give you. Yes if at one time you bought an Orthanc for $90 and sell it now for $2000.................it is one hell of an investment.................If you are collecting them to keep in a collection...............now try to replace it. Maybe I am taking the word investment too seriously.................I guess even though I can get a $150 to $200 profit on something like a bust, it does not seem worth while to sell it, because I want it. Even with a piece like Eowyn, whom I am purely speculating is worth less then what I paid for her, it has not gotten me upset about it.

Last edited:
Putting aside ES or price, if I had to choose just "one" statue, I would chose Sauron. A fantastic sculpt at an impressive size and captures the essence* of the films... ;)

*copyright jlcmsu, all rights reserved.

Great views! Thanks. By investment, I meant a piece that would most likely hold it's value. I'm buying because of a genuine interest but I tend to change hobbies every 2-5 years and usually sell one to pay for another. By doing that I've been able to enjoy a dozen different hobbies over the years and the memory of collecting them is more important to me than the actual items. I try to "buy smart". Although I go into each hobby with the feeling I won't sell the collection...I always do. I just don't want to lose a lot. Doesn't really matter if I make anything.

I have to agree with Flyandfilght that the Sauron statue is huge, beautifully made, and a bit of a bargain at current prices I think. Very representative of the series of movies. Second to me would probably be ROS. The Cave Troll is very tempting also. All Balrogs I see for sale have cracks which would make me insane to know they were there.

Thanks for the help and please continue to list. It's really interesting to see everyone's favorite.:D

If I were to sell the rest of my collection to buy a Sam and Bill, I'd probably be happy.

Although I have a lot of items that are worth a whole lot more, my choice would probably be Gandalf the White on Shadowfax.

I like the good guys better than the bad guys and this is an awesome sculpt of the good guy.

Best statue: Cave Troll
Most iconic piece: RWoS

If I could keep only 1 statue I'd keep the RWoS (and try very hard for Gandalf on Shadowfax). In fact, at a thousand bucks get these 2 pieces.

For no other reason that it is my personal favourite 'cause I like the "good guys" and it is sooooo well done:

Sam and Bill the Pony

Back