Question about SW novels

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88th division

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I need to know the names of any novels that come between The Phantom menace and Attack of the clones. I would imagine there would be at least one to cover Anakin growing up.

Not sure on that but there is one between Ep2 and Ep3 called the Labyrinth of evil and one between 3 & 4 called Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.

Yes, Labyrinth of evil was an excellent book! I have not read Dark Lord yet. I am trying to read them in order. The books go much deeper into the characters and fill in a lot of the blanks.

They do what little I've made it into them. With Basketball now over I'm hoping to make a charge through most of them.

Rogue Planet by Greg Bear and The Approaching Storm by Alan Dean Foster occured between TPM and AOTC. RP is set shortly after TPM. AS is set just prior to AOTC, in fact it is mentioned in AOTC when someone says Obi and Ani just got back from a mission on Ansion.

While not after TPM, Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter takes place RIGHT before TPM. Cloak of Deception takes place wither after TPM or right before...I forget but I hear that it is a good book.

I didn't really like The Approaching storm the much. I thought it was boring. Labyrinth of Evil is a different story though. That may be the best Star Wars book I have ever read...and I've read almost all of the pre-jedi Order books. It captured the fun feeling of the movies perfectly and really fleshed out Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship. I can't wait to read Dark Lord since it is a sequel and written by the same author.

Cloak of deception takes place before Shadow Hunters. Then comes TPM. I liked Shadow Hunters, but did not care to much for Cloak of deception. Layrinthof evil was a great book! It really showed how Palpatine manipulated the events in his favor.

I just finished reading the Thrawn Trilogy and it was pretty good, especially the last book. I'm half way done with The Rise of Lord Vader and it's starting to get really good itself. And my girlfriend bought me another trilogy but I can't remember the name of it.

I forgot, the newest book is Outbound Flight and takes place somewhere in between TPM and AOTC. If you've read the Thrawn Trilogy, or Survivor's Quest then you will recognize what outbound flight is about. Anyways it's Timothy Zahn's. Also in the paperback (don't know about hardcover) there is a timeline showing exactly when everything occured so you will know what order to read the books in.

the approaching storm was a pretty good read. i read the rise of lord vader in 2 days!!! it was such an awesome read i just couldnt put it down. i loved how it had anakin/vader's thoughts over everything that just happened in ROTS. im gonna pick up outbound flight sometime this week and read it over spring break. im about halfway through with unseen queen from the newer dark nest triolgy. its kind of cool, but if you didnt read any of the new jedi order you might be lost. it also has luke showing everyone how much of a badass he really is.

I have tried to get through Rogue Planet, but have yet to finish it. It has not really held my interest enough to keep me reading, which is a shame since it is really the only book written that deals with the early stages of Anakin's relationship with Obi-Wan. It is really more of a prequel/setup to the New Jedi Order series, introducing a key planet brought into the conclusion of the NJO storyline. Very little action--none for about 200 pages, in fact--so if you are looking for the "pure adrenaline" promised by the synopsis on the dust jacket, you will be somewhat disappointed. I recently picked up "Outbound Flight" but it will be a while before I have time to read it.

If you're looking for books that show the early Anakin and Obi-Wan relationship, apart from Rogue Planet, you're pretty much limited to the kiddie books. The Jedi Quest series covers a lot of it. I read them because I got fanatical about the Old Republic stuff, and I wanted to know what happened in that missing ten years. The up side is that since they're kiddie books, you can read them very quickly. The down side is that they're kiddie books, and it shows. :)

On a semi-related note, the novelizations of Episode III and VI are quality pieces of writing and must be read. Skip Ep II. The writing is crap.

Resurrecting an old thread - I just picked up a bunch of SW novels at the book store including the newest "Betrayal". But I haven't read any post RotJ except the Thrawn trilogy - so what do I need to read BEFORE Betrayal?

I thought someone had linked to a list, but I couldn't find that.

not sure about the betrayal Dave. i just want to warn you though, if you plan to read any of the New Jedi Order series it would be easier to read them in order. i didnt read them in order, and its crazy trying to figure out who is who and whats going on.

~~i also recommend Darth Maul:Shadow Hunter as it is right before TPM. its so funny because it mentions obi wan in it as a promising jedi padawan.

For any SW: A New Hope fans out there, Dark Lord: The Rise Of Darth Vader is a must read. The end ties greatly ROTS into New Hope.:emperor

wookilar8 said:
For any SW: A New Hope fans out there, Dark Lord: The Rise Of Darth Vader is a must read. The end ties greatly ROTS into New Hope.:emperor

oh yes!! its great i loved it more than any of the other EU books. im still hoping for a book about good old ben in his castaway years. i want to know what he does in his spare time. does he go to bingo or something???

the books usually have an updated timeline in them if you look. i think they are in the front. my favorite are still the novels that took place during the clone wars.

Back