My review of Shaun and Ed

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
With five high scoring reviews in a row, the streak of amazing toys has been, well, amazing! Can tonight’s contenders keep the dream alive? Unfortunately, no.

I’m looking at the Sideshow exclusive versions of Shaun and Ed from the terrific flick Shaun of the Dead. With the popularity of sixth scale zombies these days, you’d think having a couple recognizable zombie killers in the mix would make for a terrific display. The end result is less than attractive, however. Originally, I thought the head sculpts and paint would let me down, but it turns out that the old Sideshow body and the awful costumes did these two in.

However, you’ll get a chance to see a photo of an upcoming zombie in one photo…wonder who’s making that one?

You can find all the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!

Michael
MWC

I definitely like the figures better overall than the review... but I think the complaints are justified. Sideshow kind of dialed it in on these, which I think might happen with the lower-profile figures. One of the reasons I don't regret canceling the Reservoir Dogs figures... I have a feeling they will be disappointing as well.

BTW, small geek critique... the red on Shaun's shirt is from a leaky pen, not blood.

Shaun's shirt just plain sucks. These figs are way overpriced for what they include. If SS is going to produce figs with short sleeves they need to include a body with hidden joints ala HT. Just because it is a toy is no reason it has to look like one.

Ed looks preggers.

I like that movie a lot (which is odd because zombie movies scare the bejezus outta me).

The figures on the other hand? I like not so much...

They almost remind me of classic Sideshow releases from 4 years ago.

That's my first impression of them as well.

If these figures would have been released 4-6 years ago they'd be considered really good but they just can't stand up to the stuff being put out now by SS or for that matter HT or Medicom.

The figures just seem mediocre at best.

Nice review Mike. I think you where quite fair with these two. I don't have the issue with the buck that you do so for me I'll be a bit higher than you. The rest though I think you're looking good.

Saw these in person and I have to say this is one of the rare occassions where Sideshow's production figure head sculpt has better paints than their prototype.

And when saying that, I'm speaking for Shaun as he looks much better than the initial prototype we were shown.

I definitely like the figures better overall than the review... but I think the complaints are justified. Sideshow kind of dialed it in on these, which I think might happen with the lower-profile figures. One of the reasons I don't regret canceling the Reservoir Dogs figures... I have a feeling they will be disappointing as well.

BTW, small geek critique... the red on Shaun's shirt is from a leaky pen, not blood.

That's right! I forgot how he got it, I just remember it being on his shirt.

Great reviews as always, and thanks for finally posting the Bender review!

Also, you said the paint on Bender is inaccurate. It seems pretty accurate to me. The light and dark greys on Bender are accurate to his animated counterpart.

https://thevoidcomedy.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/bender.jpg

I didn't think I said it was inaccurate, I said the color on the top is a little too light. It should be the same color as the hands and antenna, and it's actually a shade lighter.

On top of that, it doesn't really look right when actually painted on. As I said in the review, the 2D version needs it to give the figure depth, but in person it just looks like two tone paint, not naturaly shading.

The clothes totally ruin these figures. A new body would not help.

Back