Doomsday

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
The preview for this film doesn't do it justice at all. It makes it look like a Road Warrior retread wannabe. Which it is, but also much more. Neil Marshall directed The Descent - one of the best horror movies in recent years and he continues in the tradition of butt-kicking women with Rhona Mitra as Major Eden Sheridan.

semi-spoilers

Okay, there are a lot of cliches in the film - it's got a virus infecting the UK causing part of it to be quarantined. It's got a maniac proto-punk cannibal and it's got Malcolm McDowell as a mad scientist.

But the action scenes are well directed, the adrenaline keeps pumping and Mitra is ultra-cool and kick-ass. I see Marshall's career taking a similar trajectory as Cameron - I think he's that good.

Wow, I expected this to be a complete piece of crap movie. Surprised to hear anything good about it.

I'll see anything by Marshall, after Dog Soldiers and Descent, but my local crap theater didn't carry this one... :monkey2

I agree he could be the next Cameron as well.

Saw the trailer for this..felt uninspiring.:monkey1

Uh, yeah. That was my point - the trailer does a great disservice to the film. I'm a bit surprised that the critics are so harsh on it - but it's a 35% on Rottentomatoes, the same as Vantage Point and higher than most of the films out right now.

I'll see anything by Marshall, after Dog Soldiers and Descent, but my local crap theater didn't carry this one... :monkey2

I agree he could be the next Cameron as well.

I didn't know he did Dog Soldiers, thats a really cool flick.

This will probably be a DVD rental then, thanks for the heads up.

Saw the trailer for this..felt uninspiring.:monkey1

I felt the same way until my friends got me to see it just for Rhona Mitra. I have to tell you, this film was a pleasant surprise. I don't want to ruin the film but this might sell you:

Okay, picture this
- A virus breaks out like 28 Days Later.

-The country of Scotland is sectioned off from the rest of the UK like the island of Manhattan in Escape from New York.

-Rhona Mitra is sent inside Snake Plisskin style on a mission for the government.

-The inside has turned into part Mad Max outback part Escape From New York Manhattan with a psycho in a mohawk ruling the one section like Lord Humungus and Malcolm McDowell ruling the other as the Duke of New York.

-Rhona Mitra turns into Mad Max in a car chase scene right out of The Road Warrior.

This movie really turned me around. Seeing is believing.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine saw and said it was great. He then proceed to have a 10 minute argument with me about how this is a sequel to 28 Weeks Later:lol He was 100% convinced that it was a direct sequel and there was no changing his mind about. What a ****** bag:D

The movie was so bad it was great. It was funny to see how many different type of movies it tried to be:

28 Days Later
Escape from New York
Gladiator
Fellowshop of the Ring
The Road Warrior
Aliens

Buddies and I were actually laughing in the theater when we found another movie that Doomsday copied. Good stuff...

Even after reading all of this its definitely still a DVD release kind of thing but its good to know that the trailer did not encapulate the film.

another viral infection that's causing zombieism, along the lines of 28 days later and 28 weeks later. bad acting, bad script and just plain bad. they should have called it 28 months later. but no matter how long you wait, it will still suck. :lol

after Dog Soldiers and then The Descent, Neil Marshall is on my list to see everything he does. ... :monkey1

I'm surprised to find people really liking the The Descent. I thought it was terrible. Very cheezy and not the least bit scary.

another viral infection that's causing zombieism, along the lines of 28 days later and 28 weeks later. bad acting, bad script and just plain bad. they should have called it 28 months later. but no matter how long you wait, it will still suck. :lol

You didn't see the film obviously. There's no zombism involved. Rhona Mitra is very good as the lead and some of the others may be over the top, but I wouldn't call the acting bad. The script is a hodge podge of other films true - but put together in a fun and exciting way.

I'm surprised to find people really liking the The Descent. I thought it was terrible. Very cheezy and not the least bit scary.

I thought it was very tense and it had me on the edge of my seat... right up until the Gollum monsters showed up and then it did indeed become a total cheesefest.

Back