Why Sideshow should make a new body

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinLuck

Super Freak
Reaction score
I don't know if Sideshow has felt it yet, but from what I've seen, there has been a general downward trend in 1/6 figure Sideshow sales. The Star Wars line started out strong, but it has been in a lull, with many regular edition figures still sitting on store shelves at reduced prices. Other Sideshow lines have petered out, which I can only guess is to due to lack of sales.

Personally, I have become very selective on the Sideshow figures I purchase because I know I will have to buy a separate body from a different company to fill the inadequacies of the old Art Buck. Purchasing a new body pushes each figure's price to over $100, so I have to really like the sculpt and clothing accessories to consider a Sideshow purchase.

Sideshow not only has the potential to increase sales from its current customer base, but it would also gain many new customers that would not otherwise purchase from Sideshow.

If the body is designed to accommodate various wrist and neck adapters, to make it backwards compatible with heads and hands from other major manufacturers, the body would be very popular among those who purchase from Hot Toys, DML, BBi, DiD, etc.

The current Hot Toys body is close to ideal, but it has a major flaw in it's oversized shoulder joints. And the neck isn't long enough--especially when attaching Sideshow heads. The price is also $30 which detracts many people from purchasing it.

If Sideshow designs a body that corrects these flaws and makes bodies of different heights and sex, they could make a body design that would be desirable throughout the 1/6 scale community. If the price is set below the $20 mark for a body with no head, I believe it would be an instant best selling product. No matter if they produce a new 1/6 figure or not, they would still be constantly receiving sales from their 1/6 scale bodies that people would use for any 1/6 figure on the market.

Last edited:
Even trying to make back cost + shipping on exclusives is tough

Great idea on the new bodies but even $20 would be too pricey for a headless nude body, in my opinion.

We can get nude Dragon/DML bodies with headsculpts for less than $10 and while not the latest and greatest, they simply look the best to me, when outfitted and posed.

One idea would be to have a standard body but have long/short lower sections of the legs "plug in" to the upper leg section, just below the knees. Same would work for the arms, just after the elbow joint. The only problem I see would be in the outfits fitting correctly on "altered" bodies.

Justin, I know that you seem to want SS to be better but dude you create more threads about what's wrong than anything. You gotta try enjoying what you buy for once man cause collecting for you has to be a real downer. Every other day you're making some thread with whats wrong it's just nuts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

As Dave said the other day the elbow thing is one area I've seen mentioned in the past. What he said is true that all you have to do is push it a little to get it in the desired more natural look. I've been lucky in not having any of my figures with loose joints and from what we've read even from Michael Crawford they're getting better. They've also tweaked several things since the line started on the smaller body and are working on the female body because of Padme. So these issues are being taken care of. Honestly, I don't see Medicoms or HT body being any better than SS. I can get virtually any pose I want with my SS figures.

I think some of the issues have to do more with the costumes than the bodies themselves. Overall, are the bodies perfect? No, but no companies are and if anyone says they're I think that's just the so called "rose" colored glasses I get labeled with.

Now, in regards to a lull. It has nothing to do with the bodies. Things have an eb and flow to how they sell. Items are still selling out and doing well enough. Have things slowed a little maybe a little but I think we've seen recently things are gonna be fine.

So many people don't want Sideshows 1/6th figures that they fried their server just to show they don't really care for it.

I myself don't find their bodies that much of a problem that I feel compelled to change out their bodies. If I happen to have a spare body floating about, then I might use it.

You do have something valid to say, but we've heard it all before. It gets old. We know and Sideshow knows. Maybe 12 months down the track there might be enough newbies who haven't heard your disappointments and will learn something from what you have to say. They could be better and they could be a lot worse.

jlcmsu said:
I don't see Medicoms or HT body being any better than SS. I can get virtually any pose I want with my SS figures.

Honestly, none of your poses have really impressed me. Unlike Edwint. So I can see why you can see no wrong with sideshow's bodies.

nash said:
Honestly, none of your poses have really impressed me. Unlike Edwint. So I can see why you can see no wrong with sideshow's bodies.

I don't care if my poses impress you. I don't buy my figures for you nor do I pose them to impress you. I buy them and pose them for me and how I want them to look. So why exactly should I give a damn what you think about it?

nash said:
They work fine for me I dont have the care to do some super elablorate pose. I have them up in a basic pose and it works for me. I can see some people might like to play with their dolls and pose them in different poses all the time but not me.

mfoga said:
They work fine for me I dont have the care to do some super elablorate pose. I have them up in a basic pose and it works for me. I can see some people might like to play with their dolls and pose them in different poses all the time but not me.

Makes 2 of us. I find a pose similar to a movie shot I want or something that just hits me right and I go with it. As long as I like it that's all that matters. :D

I understand that mark, since I also like simple poses. I think less is more when it comes to my display.

BUT...justifying the fact that Sideshow bodies are just as good as HT or Medi ones because you can get any pose you desire out of it is just riddiculous imo. Yeah you may be able to get any pose you want out of the SS bodies but it doesnt mean it looks good.

SImple fact remains, HT and Medi bodies ARE better than sideshows

jlcmsu said:
As long as I like it that's all that matters. :D
If it's something YOU like then why are you telling Justin what he should like?? He doesnt like how sideshow bodies are so maybe keep your dilluted Sideshow superfandom to yourself for once since YOU like it.

*patiently waits for the SuperFan to tell me to go post on another forum because this is a sideshow forum. too predictable.*

nash said:
I understand that mark, since I also like simple poses. I think less is more when it comes to my display.

BUT...justifying the fact that Sideshow bodies are just as good as HT or Medi ones because you can get any pose you desire out of it is just riddiculous imo. Yeah you may be able to get any pose you want out of the SS bodies but it doesnt mean it looks good.

SImple fact remains, HT and Medi bodies ARE better than sideshows
HT Yes

Medi only if you want midgets:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

PS It was a joke so medikids dont get your panties in a bunch.

I don't have that big of a problem with SS standard body (BigBoy sucks), but yes, HT's body does look better and pose better.

I dont even see Justin's intent for this thread to be negative yet Superfan to the rescue paints it in that light.

mfoga said:
HT Yes

Medi only if you want midgets:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

PS It was a joke so medikids dont get your panties in a bunch.
I dont know mark, maybe because im 6'2 i dont have a problem with my figures being short. but i guess if you have shortman syndrome maybe you would. :D

Dont make me call Mike Vick to let his dogs loose on you :rotfl :rotfl

He gave his two cents on whats wrong. I have mine on whats right. Nothing wrong with that but you seem to want to make it like I shouldn't say anything. Don't like what I have to say ignore it and move on. Doesn't make sense to me to waste time replying to me really if you don't like what I have to say.

Back