Robocop - 30th Anniversary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake Plissken

40s "men" still cry about being bullied here
Reaction score
Following the trend in this section, this needed a thread seeing how the anniversary is Monday.

Unlike other lines out there ignored by Hot Toys, I'm extremely glad to own all the Robocop merch you could ask for, bar Robocain.

Always loved this scene, where he systematically eliminates every jobber criminal in the factory.

I really need to pick up the Blu Ray, but given how it's always on Netflix... it made me lazy :lol

To me, it's part of a small fraternity of films that are flawless. Where I can watch it over and over, and never loses it's flavor.

RobocopvsNewRobocop.jpg

agreed, for what it was and when it was made, it certainly withstands the years. FX for the most part in it still hold up today, the same way the FX do for Aliens or Predator.

Some thoughts on Verhoeven's timeless classic:

-Arguably one of the greatest action movies of all time along with Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Aliens & Die Hard. Iconic to say the least.

-Peter Weller's performance is absurdly good. He deserved a Best Actor Nomination that year. He fiercely mastered mime and stocatto and delivered an unforgettable character physically and emotionally.

-Like Weller, Kurtwood Smith is ridiculously good as Clarence Boddicker. Ridiculously good. One of the great movie villains of all time.

-My favorite moment in the movie is when Robocop has Boddicker looking like hamburger and then Boddicker appeals to his moral principles saying "You're a cop!!!" - which helps Murphy calm down and center himself, brilliantly responding "Yes. I am a cop." Gives me chills how great that moment is.

-The movie is superb but would have never reached that level of greatness without Poledouris' outrageously epic and vibrant score. It's both tragic and heroic and one of the all-time greatest film scores.

-The way the movie closes out is ****ing gold. After two hours of searching for his humanity, Murphy finds it and embraces it. He accepts his situation and chooses to persevere. His reaction to the old man asking him "What's your name? is priceless. "Murphy." with a smile that oozes confidence and acceptance. Bravo, Verhoeven. Bravo.

Man, Predator and Robocop came out the same year? I don't remember that.

Was able to see Predator in the theaters (as well as Aliens) but had to wait until VHS to see Robocop.

Damn, these threads make me feel old.

EDIT: In that clip that Snake posted, my friends and I LOVED how the Asian gangster said "F--- YOUUUU!" and emulated it throughout 6th grade and middle school. :lol

Oh hell yeah! This is a classic for me.
I can still remember watching it in the theaters.

EDIT: In that clip that Snake posted, my friends and I LOVED how the Asian gangster said "F--- YOUUUU!" and emulated it throughout 6th grade and middle school. :lol

Hahaha! We copied that guy in school too! Even going as far as copying the way he cocked the shotgun. :lol :hi5:

Just watched the bluray to celebrate this momentous anniversary.

It's funny how a movie set in "the future" looks so hopelessly, thoroughly 80s. The biggest offenders for me were the women's hairstyles, shoulderpads, and enormous glasses. The two "models" that came over to party with Bob Morton were sooo unhot. But that gave us one of the greatest lines of all time: "Bitches, leave!"

Of course "I'd buy that for a dollar!" is still number one.

Man, I absolutely love this movie. The internet has atrophied my attention span so badly I can barely make it through a 20 minute TV show these days. But I just sat motionless and absorbed every detail of the movie for the thousandth time. I wonder if kids today would dig it or if it's just too dated.

I'll be watching the remastered blu ray on the anniversary. If any of you still own the original blu ray instead of the remaster, you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice not to upgrade because it's glorious.

As for the film itself, Robocop is one of my top 10 movies ever. One of those rare films that fires on all cylinders. If there is a person who has never seen this, then we can't friends.

And yes, I do have a friend who's never seen this. "You've never seen Robocop?!" "Nah" "Why not watch it? It's brilliant!" "Nah" "Well, you and I, looks we're done!" :lol

:lol I agree. It's a must-see film. The vast majority of it still holds up and the practical suit is 1000x times better than any CGI ******** they tried to do in the new film. It's a film I can repeatedly watch and not get tired of--though I still cringe when Murphy is getting blasted to ****. I still can't believe Hot Toys actually made a regular version and a BD version (much less a Murphy figure that I never thought I'd see).

I still dream of a day when I'll have battle-damaged Murphy face Robo by NECA. Sigh. Maybe someday.

Also, the most recent transfer does indeed look gorgeous. I don't even have a great set up and it still just popped. If anything it's almost TOO good in closeup shots where you can see the undersides of Robo's feet and see his shoes, or that the armor really does look like painted fiberglass. Still awesome though.

Amazing dialogue, action, humor, heart....it's got everything. Verhoeven rules. I love spotting his TWO blink-and-you-miss-it cameos.

A classic that will never get old.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I still dream of a day when I'll have battle-damaged Murphy face Robo by NECA. Sigh. Maybe someday.

Also, the most recent transfer does indeed look gorgeous. I don't even have a great set up and it still just popped. If anything it's almost TOO good in closeup shots where you can see the undersides of Robo's feet and see his shoes, or that the armor really does look like painted fiberglass. Still awesome though.

Amazing dialogue, action, humor, heart....it's got everything. Verhoeven rules. I love spotting his TWO blink-and-you-miss-it cameos.

Just get the Hot Toys figure, seriously.

10369192_10152354618657344_6275430374667985574_n.jpg

Back