1/6 Starting my Collection Did I waste my Money ??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IceCold

Freakzoid
Reaction score
So I am new to this addiction. And I could only buy 2 Figures so far.

I purchased a new sealed Batman DX12 Hot Toys still in shipper amazing. These will skyrocket in value just because they will never be made again like this IMO. But I feel like $500 was a bit high still rather get it now before it hits $900 like Joker DX11

And I purchased a Iron Man Mark VI Diecast $359.99 - 10% off since its my first purchase from Sideshow. Its a re-release but Die-cast and Exclusive and its a suit that spans 2 Movies Iron Man 3 and Avengers plus its the only suit to have survived going into outerspace/new dimension.

What should be my next figure. I am leaning towards a Premium Format Dark Knight or a 1/4th scale Iron Man

I'm not sure you wasted your money (if you're happy with your figures, you didn't), but you are making a mistake buying anything expecting it to "skyrocket in price."

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The thing about hot toys is they could release an new version of a valuable fig at an time and absolutely kill the value of the older versions.

Usually you'll see a peak in prices within a couple years of release.

Unless of course you're talking about 20 -30 years from now. Yes, most will be very valuable then.

Yep. Plenty of sought after collectibles are worth nothing now. Do it because you love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A wise collector of oldy times once told me, "Never buy something for the reason of selling it down the line. You can't predict prices and if you're stuck with something, at least it's something you like".

I'm not sure you wasted your money (if you're happy with your figures, you didn't), but you are making a mistake buying anything expecting it to "skyrocket in price."

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I didn't mean like Skyrocket that I am gonna sell it. I meant I had to buy it because in 2 weeks time I saw all the ones up for sale go from $359 new sealed to $500 to $600 for a new one.

This is not an investment for me its fun and a show piece for my movie themed man cave in production.

but in my humble opinion the DX12 will be in the $900 range next year. I could very well be wrong but they just don't package them like that anymore.

Still kicking myself for not buying a DX11 Joker Sideshow exlcusive for $500 2 years ago.

but in my humble opinion the DX12 will be in the $900 range next year. I could very well be wrong but they just don't package them like that anymore.

Still kicking myself for not buying a DX11 Joker Sideshow exlcusive for $500 2 years ago.

The DX12 came out like 5 years ago. There is no clear market reasoning that it would jump $400 in value out of the blue next year. There are a lot of options for Batman Sixth Scale figures (even Bale ones), but Heath Ledger will never be playing the Joker again, which accounts for the DX11's value.

I didn't mean like Skyrocket that I am gonna sell it. I meant I had to buy it because in 2 weeks time I saw all the ones up for sale go from $359 new sealed to $500 to $600 for a new one.

This is not an investment for me its fun and a show piece for my movie themed man cave in production.

As long as your doing it for fun, enjoy what you have and are ok if you don't expect to make a money if and when you sell then it's not a waste. I would say to be patient and wait for good deals because they are out there.

Just so you know, $500 is the going value for a DX11 right now. Those $900 auctions are flukes.

I just got an unopened SS exclusive version a few months ago as a trade for 3 opened Predators figures.

The DX12 has topped out, I wouldn't expect it to go up much more than where it is now.

And if you're going by ebay prices as a scale for value then that's a bad idea because they fluctuate wildly.

A wise collector of oldy times once told me, "Never buy something for the reason of selling it down the line. You can't predict prices and if you're stuck with something, at least it's something you like".

:goodpost:

I buy what I like, and pay what I can and am willing, and I don't really care what anyone else says.

I have it, I like it, it's mine.

Mwahahahaha.

I honestly don't see the price of the DX12 drastically increasing $400 in the next year. Could be wrong of course, but I don't see it.

And as others have mentioned, collect what you like, not what will end up having the most value down the road. Some of my favorite figures are worth less than retail, but it doesn't matter to me because I like it either due to its look or emotional attachment to the film it's from.

I purchased a new sealed Batman DX12 Hot Toys still in shipper amazing. These will skyrocket in value just because they will never be made again like this IMO. But I feel like $500 was a bit high still rather get it now before it hits $900 like Joker DX11

And I purchased a Iron Man Mark VI Diecast $359.99 - 10% off since its my first purchase from Sideshow. Its a re-release but Die-cast and Exclusive and its a suit that spans 2 Movies Iron Man 3 and Avengers plus its the only suit to have survived going into outerspace/new dimension.

What should be my next figure. I am leaning towards a Premium Format Dark Knight or a 1/4th scale Iron Man

I think you're thinking about the VII in regards to Avengers and Iron Man 3 and outerspace/new dimension, but the VI did carry over from Iron Man 2 to Avengers.

DX12 wont go DX11 prices, the Armory release killed what potential it had as it came with the full figure which had a better headsculpt and faceplates plus the Armory.

As a rule of thumb concerning HT figures, do not expect the superhero figures to 'skyrocket' in price. Hot Toys have started making a lot more of their figures. Buy the characters you like.

DX12 wont go DX11 prices, the Armory release killed what potential it had as it came with the full figure which had a better headsculpt and faceplates plus the Armory.

Totally agree with this. Plus I think you can still get the armory at retail, maybe even less. I paid full retail for the armory plus Wayne and Alfred and I've seen it for $100 bucks cheaper since.

Check collectht.com for a more accurate market value. I made this mistake when I started collecting. I bought 3 MOS figures assuming the price would definitely go up. Even if I sold it for $100 profit, still worth it. Anyway, the value tanked pretty quickly. I think I sold a few for $120 because I just wanted to get rid of them. Money well spent though as it was as good lesson

Totally agree with this. Plus I think you can still get the armory at retail, maybe even less. I paid full retail for the armory plus Wayne and Alfred and I've seen it for $100 bucks cheaper since.
Yes you can, on eBay and I know it's still on BBTS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back