The Neon Demon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Green

Super Freak
Reaction score
This movie is worth a thread. Just saw it and it's a touch of Ex Machina and Japanese anime made real. An adult film, not for everyone or family for sure. Just wondering who is eating who?

Yeah, just watched the trailer earlier today, looks interesting.
I also read some positive buzz around it a while ago.

Where THE NEON DEMON succeeds is when Refn in his signature style, blends visual cues and implied storytelling with ultra cool music and a mesmerizing color palette. Where the film struggles is the all too abstract delivery of its story beats.

With DRIVE, Refn proved that style and flair could take what would have been a fairly ordinary crime film and elevated it to masterpiece status. With ONLY GOD FORGIVES, Refn got lost in the abstract and failed to deliver on story and character. With THE NEON DEMON, we're not quite close enough to DRIVE nor down at the level of ONLY GOD FORGIVES.

So what we have here is a solid and at times brilliant horror film. Nowhere near as good as IT FOLLOWS or BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW, but definitely a must watch - specially If you love Refn's work.

8/10

Thanks for the post I will be giving this a watch. I think the Fanning sisters both have some acting chops that they have not delivered to the world yet but they both could evolve into great actresses.

Refn is a 1-trick pony, in my opinion. He came to fame, at least in the US, with Drive, which was awesome. Then he gave us OGF and that was a mess and I'm being generous. Neon Demon looks beautiful, as all his work does, but rest assured there's no substance to this film. It's like a 90-minute music video with incredible cinematography and beautiful young chicks strutting around aimlessly. He's like Rob Zombie in that respect. Both those guys are amazing directors. They have a great eye for the look and feel of a movie, but they simply cannot write a good script if their lives depended on it. Stick to directing, fellas...and let the writers write.

Loved this movie. Kind of slow and challenging to watch but haven't stopped thinking about it since!
Spoiler Spoiler:

Give me the soundtrack and all the posters possible

Loved this movie. Kind of slow and challenging to watch but haven't stopped thinking about it since!
Spoiler Spoiler:

Give me the soundtrack and all the posters possible

You don't need to spoiler tag it, lol. There's no spoiler in your post.

You don't need to spoiler tag it, lol. There's no spoiler in your post.

sorry, I take it as a spoiler. I hate it when people say **** like "wait for the twist ending" "boring till the bloody finale" "The ending is a gut punch " I find all that to be pretty spoilerish especially in something as subtle and minimalistic as the neon demon. And in case of what I was saying its pretty obvious I was implying a not happy ending.

sorry, I take it as a spoiler. I hate it when people say **** like "wait for the twist ending" "boring till the bloody finale" "The ending is a gut punch " I find all that to be pretty spoilerish especially in something as subtle and minimalistic as the neon demon. And in case of what I was saying its pretty obvious I was implying a not happy ending.

I hear you bboy. Part of a gut punch being a gut punch is that you don't necessarily see it coming. If you're waiting to be blown away by the ending the whole movie then when it finally comes your guard is up and the effect can be minimized. I also don't like it when someone tells me that a movie has "a twist" because once again, just because the twist hasn't been spoiled you still can't help but look for clues, brace yourself, etc., in ways that you normally wouldn't had you not known to expect it.

I hear you bboy. Part of a gut punch being a gut punch is that you don't necessarily see it coming. If you're waiting to be blown away by the ending the whole movie then when it finally comes your guard is up and the effect can be minimized. I also don't like it when someone tells me that a movie has "a twist" because once again, just because the twist hasn't been spoiled you still can't help but look for clues, brace yourself, etc., in ways that you normally wouldn't had you not known to expect it.

yup exactly, and in this case I was very unaware of the purposeful pacing and flow of the movie.

Back