EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Comparing Spocks and other characters glossy hair in the TOS shows to the QMx head sculpts is a huge difference. the QMx head sculpts of all the officers sport flat colored (plastic) hair.

Comparing Spocks and other characters glossy hair in the TOS shows to the QMx head sculpts is a huge difference. the QMx head sculpts of all the officers sport flat colored (plastic) hair.
Dude, the cost of painting one head is more than the figure itself. [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Marco is one of very few people who could do that. He has incredible work, and there's only a few people that can do that justice on short hair. It would be insane costs to do it for a production line and it wouldn't end up looking anywhere as good.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Marco is one of very few people who could do that. He has incredible work, and there's only a few people that can do that justice on short hair. It would be insane costs to do it for a production line and it wouldn't end up looking anywhere as good.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

True and I have zero skill in futzing with the hair myself. I may be in the minority but I prefer sculpted hair over rooted when it comes to mass production.

I think rooted hair can work well at times, but when it comes to this Trek line (and figures like TWOK Khan, Worf, Troi etc) I'd rather see Nanjin just go with sculpted hair for everything and keep a more consistent look.

Rooted hair looks really good but I loathe it because it gets untidy do I have zero skill at styling and is harder to keep dust free. If my female figures all had sculpted hair tied up, I'd be just as happy.

Dude, the cost of painting one head is more than the figure itself. [emoji1]

I've always kind of assumed head painting was the most expensive part; are you saying the labor involved costlier than the entire body+clothes+accessories for a figure? Has annoyed me for a while with Hot Toys pricing for trooper/helmeted characters (basically the entire Mandalorian line).

Marco showed off a pretty nice looking Chekov today as well. Sculpt by Sean Dabbs.

hhfds.JPG

hhffs.JPG

No kidding?

I see plenty of excellent painted head sculpts on the web ranging between 20 and 55 USD.

Okay let?s use your $50 to paint a head as an example in a pricing exercise and say that includes the sculpt and say another $50 for the rest of the figure. That puts the figure at $100. You still have to add in CBS? share and the company?s profit plus shipping costs from the factory to wherever EXO is shipping them out of and if the $189 price point is the price point for all the stores like Sideshow, Timewalker, BBTS then the $189 also includes their profit. Granted all my numbers are just wild guesses but if you want to say the retail store makes $20 per figure, EXO makes $20 per figure, CBS makes $20 and it costs an additional $20 per figure for shipping, advertising, customer service, webpage, tariffs, . . . that comes to $80 which would leave $109 for the figure not a lot. If you look at a lot of the unlicensed knockoffs a lot of them run in the $109-$189 range and they don?t have licensing or some of the other expenses that a full fledged company would have.

Another good example might be to look at Asmus? new Gandalf where they are doing his head and rooted hair at a higher level of quality. That figure is at $329 and the standard Aragorn they just released is under $200.

I?m hoping that these figures will still go pretty well with the existing QMX figures so I don?t feel the need to replace the ones I have. Just this year I?ve acquired Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Khan, and the chair. The only one I may replace is McCoy simply for the fact that he may get a better body and the nicer rank braids.

I hear you... this is a somewhat of a reluctantly enjoyable dilemma to have, mostly because of the cost involved. I love the QMx figures, so knowing that EXO-6 will be recreating everything they made under the QMx license has pluses and minuses. I've decided to keep the ones I have, and also get anything EXO-6 makes for TOS and TNG. It never hurts to have extra copies of Kirk and crew for various poses while on display. The more the merrier.

Data looks a lot in my hands.

1.5-2 feet between camera and sculpt - this is the correct distance in viewing head.

Note: Camera only has one ?eye.? we have 2. Pictures taken closer than 1.5 feet will not be able to see the entire head; therefore, distorted (the closer to the camera lens, the bigger, like a bigger or wider nose)
a91d2e9ac1981850d034e3addaf725d6.jpg

That's a beautiful sculpt. I love it. I am very excited about your new business venture! I'll be getting anything you make in TOS and TNG, plus select characters from some of the other spinoff shows and alternate timelines. I will be saving my dollars to get as many as I can.

Okay let?s use your $50 to paint a head as an example in a pricing exercise and say that includes the sculpt and say another $50 for the rest of the figure. That puts the figure at $100. You still have to add in CBS? share and the company?s profit plus shipping costs from the factory to wherever EXO is shipping them out of and if the $189 price point is the price point for all the stores like Sideshow, Timewalker, BBTS then the $189 also includes their profit. Granted all my numbers are just wild guesses but if you want to say the retail store makes $20 per figure, EXO makes $20 per figure, CBS makes $20 and it costs an additional $20 per figure for shipping, advertising, customer service, webpage, tariffs, . . . that comes to $80 which would leave $109 for the figure not a lot. If you look at a lot of the unlicensed knockoffs a lot of them run in the $109-$189 range and they don?t have licensing or some of the other expenses that a full fledged company would have.

Another good example might be to look at Asmus? new Gandalf where they are doing his head and rooted hair at a higher level of quality. That figure is at $329 and the standard Aragorn they just released is under $200.

I did not want to say antyhing you`re interpreting here.
I`d never expect a Star Trek TOS routed hair male action figure for under USD 200.
You`re just mixing retail price with wholesale price.

Back