Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is fine too - I've been lucky (and very careful)!

Goat Man looks great, but I too am more excited about Blade. After seeing the movie (multiple times, lol) as a kid, I always wanted a figure of him, but never saw one... I'm not sure I even knew back then that they had made one...

A note from TG regarding UNO:

Q:I must confess I was expecting the unnamed one to be a cross between chthulu darkness from legend and the emperor from star wars.instead we got a trollan.dont get me wrong it really is a nice figure.could you explain how this is a love letter to fans?

A:Happy to give a few thoughts on this issue!

So for starters, I'll absolutely be upfront that one man's "love letter" is another man's "huh?". Anytime you are dealing with revealing a 30 year mystery, the build up and anticipation (as well as speculation in different fan's minds) will inevitably lead to some level of disappointment. Wolverine's origin anyone? Star Wars prequels? etc..

I remember the final episode of ST Enterprise was billed as a love letter to fans and I was sorely disappointed. Trip died in a holodeck? Whatever. But I do get where the creators were coming from and why they would call the final episode a love letter to fans.

Okay, back to the UNO.

So for starters, the idea of who the figure is and what he looked like was something that was set way back in 2009. His bio was also written back then and has not changed. Which actually debunks the whole "this is the same story as Krona from Green Lantern". That story by Geoff Johns which revealed that Krona was a fallen Guardian did not come out until 2010/2011. Before that Krona was a different character in the DC universe. The UNO backstory, while written before this new GL story, was published second. So I can see where there is an "argument", but that "argument" is just factually wrong. Additionally, the "idea" of a fallen character, be is a God like Prometheus or an angel like Satan, is a concept, much like all of MOTU, deeply rooted in mythological motifs. If anything, both Geoff and the MOTU bios are paying homage to mythic themes of a fallen character, not ripping each other off. - in fact, I remember reading the GL story revamping Krona as a fallen Guardians back in 2010/2011 and thinking "wow, this is very similar to the backstory we created last year (and as yet unpublished) for the UNO. Some fans are totally going to jump to the conclusion we ripped this off, even though it was written first!".

So with that out of the way...

Next, again back in 2009 when we decided who the UNO was and what his story was, we very directly made him an "evil Trolla" because 1: Trollans (Orko) is a VERY recognizable character to casual MOTU fans and would be instantly understood by most casual fans as a MOTU figure/character. A giant Cuthulu type beast might not be. 2: Fans already were using Gorpo (the working name for Orko) as a blue clad Trollan character online and the UNO figure payed homage to that look and name. Heck, He-Man.org, one of the large fan sites even has a "Gorpo" smily face icon that came out well before the figure did. So this was a concept fans had been using for years and incorporating it into the UNO figure was an homage to that. Hence a "love letter" if you will.

Finally, the mini comic included with UNO is just chocked full of easter eggs and surprises for long time fans. And of course the biggest thing of all is the very fact that this figure solves a 30 year mystery for fans; who is the UNO? Doing that in itself, solving the mystery finally, is a love letter to fans. We could have just as easily only done the vintage figures in MOTUC and never expanded the world like this, but by purposely including a toy of the UNO in the line up and writing a bio (back in 2009)it would help resolve 30 years of mystery and plot threads at least finally giving fans an answer they have waited for.

It may not be the answer every fans wants, but it is an answer and providing "an answer" to this mystery, whether you like it or not, is also a "love letter" to our fans. We could have just as easily never addressed this and made a much smaller toy line, but that is not what MOTUC is about! The line has always been about resolving long term plot points and connecting the dots. (Horde Prime figure, the mini comics, etc...) It pushed the brand forward and helps justify the greatest number of figures possible!

Of course, as I noted in the top, this is 100% dependent on your POV. Not every fan will see him this way and that is fine. Again, anytime you are revealing the answer to a long term mystery there will be a contingent of fans not on board with the answer. Spending 30 years *(and especially the last 12 months) wondering what this figure would look like and who he is definitely adds to the hype and raises expectations.

At the end of the day, we are really proud of this figure and honestly he has become one of the single most popular figures around the office. Everyone seems to want one! Not every fan will be 100% satisfied and we never expected to please everyone.

For what our goals were, we couldn't be prouder of this amazing figure!

How is this a love letter again? I seem to missing that part. I don't understand how ONO is a love letter to anyone, let alone the fans.

I swear man, this stuff gets more and more like Fox news everyday.

:lol

I love the constant references to "2009" as if it matters. It was a bad idea then and it's a bad idea now. Just another reminder that Mattel got lucky with MOTU in the 80s and since then has no idea what to do with it. The 4H are another lucky grab, but once thats done with don't hold your breath for anything decent.

As far as I'm concerned, almost anything that comes to mind as the UNO would have been better than a Gorpo on steroids.

If Unnamed One is so GREAT,why is it so difficult to re-sell?

The Unwanted One should of been Snake Mountain Man (it made the most sense) and a true love letter to the fans would of been making a figure based off the mysterious FACE of Snake Mountain (80's playset)

They should have made a full sized, scary armored body to go with the helmeted head, popped the helmeted head on there, had that be UNO before his defeat and banishment, and packed it in with the UNO we got like Prince Adam was packed in with Orko. Would have made a lot more people happy and would have let them keep the evil Trollan idea in the mix.

If Unnamed One is so GREAT,why is it so difficult to re-sell?

The Unwanted One should of been Snake Mountain Man (it made the most sense) and a true love letter to the fans would of been making a figure based off the mysterious FACE of Snake Mountain (80's playset)

I really fell in love with the idea of him being Snake Mountain Man. Especially if they would have used something like Bearshow's design. It's one of the basics of Marketing, in the end. Don't build up a big mystery unless you're sure it'll deliver. So, I'm sure they thought it'd deliver. Obviously, it didn't. I really appreciate the guy as a figure. The 4H did a fine job on him. But, yeah, as the Unnamed One he just doesn't work for me. Thankfully I can just toss the bio in the trash with the rest and use him as I like.

13257581463_386005a171_z.jpg

13257581913_90e406f2ff_z.jpg

13257582053_03c8b05af3_z.jpg

Thankfully I can just toss the bio in the trash with the rest and use him as I like.

Pretty much. If Scott thought those bios actually added to the MOTUC experience or that Spector was real fan favorite, he must have also thought that we were all waiting for his masterpiece.

My biggest complaint with him as a MOTUC figure is that he looks nothing like a MOTUC figure. I have stated it before but I think it's worth re-stating. His style has nothing in common with the rest of the MOTUC aesthetic.

I'll be getting him since I /do/ think he's a cool looking figure and will fit in great with the Gothopolis 4HM line… but that doesn't make him a better MOTUC figure.

He is hardly the big bad is he?!

This stuff gets so annoying on two fronts. As fan I know all this could be better. As a creative I know it should be better.

And now we see there is a building that has more power than Castle Grayskull...which is a front to all of MOTU in my opinion.

My biggest complaint with him as a MOTUC figure is that he looks nothing like a MOTUC figure. I have stated it before but I think it's worth re-stating. His style has nothing in common with the rest of the MOTUC aesthetic.

I'll be getting him since I /do/ think he's a cool looking figure and will fit in great with the Gothopolis 4HM line… but that doesn't make him a better MOTUC figure.

There's enough Orko there, I feel like he fits in. I put him with my collection, and he seems to blend in. He falls more towards the Man-At-Arms-leve of detail on the spectrum versus the Star Sisters Filmation-heavy detail-light side. But I think he's still within it. The design is certainly more 200X overall, though and definitely looks more modern, in the same way that Light Hope does. But I guess I like both for that reason and it doesn't feel non-MOTUC to me because there are figures that have heavier detail peppered throughout the line, and the Orko proportions and details are there to ground it some more.

I honestly think people are drowning in a glass of water regarding UNO… Yes TG overhyped it, but you can either buy the hype or not… personally, I didn't…
And I've rarely read the bios…

I honestly think people are drowning in a glass of water regarding UNO… Yes TG overhyped it, but you can either buy the hype or not… personally, I didn't…

Yeah, I've gotten to the point where I just straight-up don't read them. They add nothing to my experience, to be honest. I made the mistake of reading the Battle Lion bio and just shrugged my shoulders. LOL.

Scott Neitlich's story line aside.....I basically had no choice to "buy" into the hype because UNO was forcefully included in the Sub.If I wanted a Sub,I was forced to buy his figure.A Concept figure in what is supposed to be an "ALL-Star" Year,I'd say it was a BIG let down.Mattel would be foolish to try this again with the 2015 Sub.

Despara will be teh sub EX next year.

Gwildor wil be teh SDCC figure this year.

Despara will be the 2015 Sub Ex (still not sold on that either,but looks a bit cooler than UNO)

Lazer Light Skeletor/He-Man 2 pack SDCC Exclusive ;)

Gwildor shows up in 2015

Scott Neitlich's story line aside.....I basically had no choice to "buy" into the hype because UNO was forcefully included in the Sub.If I wanted a Sub,I was forced to buy his figure.A Concept figure in what is supposed to be an "ALL-Star" Year,I'd say it was a BIG let down.Mattel would be foolish to try this again with the 2015 Sub.

I very agree with this. And let us not forget this is described by those that sold it to us a 'love letter' yet few if any actually like it. We know what a love letter looks like and it doesn't look like this.

If you are happy with all this, that's up to you Kuzeh. But please don't have a go at those who expect and want a higher standard.

Last edited:
Back