Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed is still looking great, about 3-4 weeks after silicone grease was applied
Got ed in April
Still convinced it's only a matter of time

I still want one if anyone is thinking of selling.

My ED209 is now 3 weeks old. No sign of cracking yet. i have a tub of mod podge ready for the first sign of deterioration. Gotta admit, i do love it. there's no way i could send it back. I'm prepared to fix it if necessary.

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... THIS is why HT doesnt get their sh-- together! Collectors that are willing to buy whatever HT dishes out..

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... THIS is why HT doesnt get their sh-- together! Collectors that are willing to buy whatever HT dishes out..

Not at all. I had brought mine before I was aware of any issues. If I had known, I wouldn't of brought it.
I'm stuck with it, I may as we'll enjoy it. I'm prepared if anything does happen to it. Otherwise he's taking pride of place next to robo.

Not at all. I had brought mine before I was aware of any issues. If I had known, I wouldn't of brought it.
I'm stuck with it, I may as we'll enjoy it. I'm prepared if anything does happen to it. Otherwise he's taking pride of place next to robo.

Pretty much same boat I'm in.

its also because of me when they put out good figures too! :D

You do know that people in other countries can have a long delay in getting stock, don't you?

Goose.

Count me in the same boat as well.

Yeah me too. Due to SSCs website upgrade last year, their goofy mobile site, which I normally use to place orders, indicated ED was sold out. I then in turn ordered from Alter Ego. Once the rot issue started popping up, it was Wwaaaayyy past my return cycle.

Speaking of returns, I finally got through the traumatic experience of sending ED back home.....but got this snippet in my email:

"Please note that $18.56 for this order has not yet been refunded. Because these payments were made over six months ago, we will need you to provide the full credit card number to process this portion of your refund manually. For security purposes, please do not send the credit card number through email. You will need to call us directly to provide this number. "

It essentially said "Your money has been refunded, blah blah blah..." followed by that. Is it legit? I have another email from Sideshow saying I got the full refund of 409...the email I quoted had somebody's name. Tips? Legit?

Id also like to add, whilst i agree that its terrible that there are problems with this, its not uncommon for toys to have issues. All of my neca 1/4 scale figures, i picked by hand in stores and checked all of their paintwork. quite a few new releases have had sloppy paintwork. the were reports of necas ed209 arriving broken in the box. I have a rubies darth vader mask that was warped out of the box.
Some ahab predators have arrived with the head fallen off.
My movie maniacs alien vs predator lasted about 5 mins before the pegs broke off the feet.
Mass produced items made on a production line will have problems.

Id also like to add, whilst i agree that its terrible that there are problems with this, its not uncommon for toys to have issues. All of my neca 1/4 scale figures, i picked by hand in stores and checked all of their paintwork. quite a few new releases have had sloppy paintwork. the were reports of necas ed209 arriving broken in the box. I have a rubies darth vader mask that was warped out of the box.
Some ahab predators have arrived with the head fallen off.
My movie maniacs alien vs predator lasted about 5 mins before the pegs broke off the feet.
Mass produced items made on a production line will have problems.

true, but that's still no excuse for them using the rubber dome again, even though they knew deterioration could take place after they used it for the first version.

true, but that's still no excuse for them using the rubber dome again, even though they knew deterioration could take place after they used it for the first version.

I agree, i didnt even realise it was going to be rubber again. When i opened the box, first thing i thought was WOW! then i saw the rubber dome and thought "holy crap, they did it again"!!
I really thought they would have gone down the route Neca took with a plastic dome. Even the plastic dome isnt perfect though. Ive seen some with scratches that could do with a respray.

Anyone attempted to open up ED-209 to see the wiring of the chip inside? I just opened mine and the sound didn't work so I attempted to fix it myself. I took the 4 screws at the bottom to see what's wrong and found out someone at the HT factory forgot to solder the blue wire. I'm wondering where the blue wire connects to. If anyone has a photo of the inside please let me know. Thanks!

Since you were able to open the head. Is the exterior mouth grill piece removable?

I'm wondering if it can be removed and placed slightly further inside to have that deep mouth look.

There's a MAJOR difference in between collectors who paid for their figure BEFORE the issues where known from those that STILL buy a figure knowing it has issues. Some will just buy regardless of the issues. I REALLY find it hard to understand. These arent cheap, and although they can do what they want with their money, in the long run it affects all other collectors as it makes HT less accountable and willing to fix the rubber issue in their products. At this point, im of the opinion that HT just doesn't give a --it.
And YEAH! i do get worked up a tad, Ive bought figs with issues in the past, and its a pain in the a-- to know other collectors are going through the same thing because HT cant get their sh-- together!

@positron - I didn't completely open it just took a peek but I think you cannot remove the grill piece. I'll post an update here next time I crack it open again. But that's if I find a fix for the disconnected wire.

Here's some pics I took of the problem I have.

1. This shows the blue wire not connected/soldered to anything.
ed209wire-1_zps6c1fe9f1.jpg

2. This shows the sound chip inside ED-209.
ed209wire-2_zps5c06c315.jpg

3. On the right you can see the wiring for the on/off switch for ED-209. I noticed there's a 3rd one that hasn't got any wire connected to it but I'm not sure if the blue wire goes there or not. I hope someone can help me with this. :(
ed209wire-3_zps973783c6.jpg

@positron - I didn't completely open it just took a peek but I think you cannot remove the grill piece. I'll post an update here next time I crack it open again. But that's if I find a fix for the disconnected wire.

Here's some pics I took of the problem I have.

1. This shows the blue wire not connected/soldered to anything.
ed209wire-1_zps6c1fe9f1.jpg

2. This shows the sound chip inside ED-209.
ed209wire-2_zps5c06c315.jpg

3. On the right you can see the wiring for the on/off switch for ED-209. I noticed there's a 3rd one that hasn't got any wire connected to it but I'm not sure if the blue wire goes there or not. I hope someone can help me with this. :(
ed209wire-3_zps973783c6.jpg

The blue wire is probably the antenna for the remote. If so, it should be connected at only one end.

Back