Hasbro 6" Black Series Star Wars line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to me telling people who collect action figures that they're only toys for kids and not collectibles on a site like this is kind of like throwing stones when you live in a glass house. The fact any of us are on here pretty much proves were all geeks/nerds.

That's fine, if misguided.
These figures are toys, not collectables. That doesn't stop people from collecting them. People CAN collect anything.
I know people with collections of Petrified poop. does that make poop a collectable?

It's an issue of marketability, coupled with cost and quality.

does collecting these make you a weirdo?
No.
But hasbro stamping " collectable" on the box doesn't really make it so, when it's a mass-produced figure of a quality far lower than the price being asked.

That's fine, if misguided.
These figures are toys, not collectables. That doesn't stop people from collecting them. People CAN collect anything.
I know people with collections of Petrified poop. does that make poop a collectable?

It's an issue of marketability, coupled with cost and quality.

does collecting these make you a weirdo?
No.
But hasbro stamping " collectable" on the box doesn't really make it so, when it's a mass-produced figure of a quality far lower than the price being asked.

Personally I see no difference between collecting action figures and collecting comic books... Both are mass produced, but I doubt your going to convince people their not collectibles. As far as that goes I guess you could say SS statues are no longer collectibles any longer given the large ES numbers their putting out, Superman and Batman were both close to 10k units each.

It's fine that in your opinion you don't think their collectibles, but the way you posted it seems pretty evident you were trying to put other people down while trying to make yourself feel superior.

I keep virtually nothing MISB, but for some reason these black series figures have yet to come out of their boxes. Part of it is that I am not sure I am going to keep collecting them, so if I don't, I want to sell them for max, particularly boba and sandtrooper. Part of it is that they look great in package and part is that I don't really have a proper shelf where I would display these guys and I'm trying to minimize the random loose figures scattering my place.

I do think I'm not going to be a completist on this line like I originally thought. Several figures just don't look good. I'm only gonna keep slave Leia to go with Jabba, but Bespin Luke is a no go, right now Chewie looks pretty bad to me and I don't like Obi either. The main question for me continues to be, do I sell my sdcc boba and han or not... It's so not worth the price it's going for, but damn it all if I didn't wait in a long line to get it.

I keep virtually nothing MISB, but for some reason these black series figures have yet to come out of their boxes. Part of it is that I am not sure I am going to keep collecting them, so if I don't, I want to sell them for max, particularly boba and sandtrooper. Part of it is that they look great in package and part is that I don't really have a proper shelf where I would display these guys and I'm trying to minimize the random loose figures scattering my place.

I do think I'm not going to be a completist on this line like I originally thought. Several figures just don't look good. I'm only gonna keep slave Leia to go with Jabba, but Bespin Luke is a no go, right now Chewie looks pretty bad to me and I don't like Obi either. The main question for me continues to be, do I sell my sdcc boba and han or not... It's so not worth the price it's going for, but damn it all if I didn't wait in a long line to get it.

Last I checked it was in the 220.00 range, which is a crazy mark up considering I think it went for around 85 at SDCC?

Last I checked it was in the 220.00 range, which is a crazy mark up considering I think it went for around 85 at SDCC?

Not even. $50.

It was going for 100-150 at the scalper booths at sdcc. Some have gone for 250-300. If it consistently goes for $300 I'm selling. That's about my cut off where keeping it becomes ridiculous. Han in carbonite is cool, he ain't $280 cool.

Ironically enough, the only two I've removed from their boxes. :lol

Didn't care enough about any of the others to take them out and screw with them yet and don't know if I ever will. the next in this series that will probably be an instant open will be when I finally get my hands on Stormies.

Never go full completionist on anything hasbro makes. Not worth it.

I think what lerath means is that these are not adult collector quality figures. A mass produced line can't be, almost per def. To turn the glass case argument around, if there's any place I'd expect people to realise the difference between a toyline an adult can collect, and items MADE to collect for an adult crowd, it'd be on a sideshow collectables site.:lol Of which I ironically own zero.

These are relatively higher-than-standerd quality toys. If the target of this line is mainly a kid, thy're quite exceptional. If it's meant as an actual adult quality dollector's line, hasbro's failing. The truth is that they're probably aiming for a hybrid approach. But a purist adult collectible collector would probably say there's no such thing.

Not even. $50.

It was going for 100-150 at the scalper booths at sdcc. Some have gone for 250-300. If it consistently goes for $300 I'm selling. That's about my cut off where keeping it becomes ridiculous. Han in carbonite is cool, he ain't $280 cool.

Yikes, ya I attempted to get it at SDCC but was too late, my gf purchased it off ebay as a xmas gift luckily she managed to find one for "cheap" under 200. The unlucky part was the postal service actually lost the package for about 2 and half weeks and when we did receive it was so beat to hell I thought for sure it was going to open up in pieces. Luckily the shipper bubble wrapped the hell out of it and put paper around that.

1st time poster - long time lurker...

Found this at my local Target today - Bespin Luke in the Han Packaging. Anyone seen or heard of this yet? Collectable error you think? The one picture is my half hearted photo attempt to show that the tape is untouched.

I just feel like this could be something someone could forge possible by taking the bubble pack out and put in a different box....is the untouched tape the only key to show this is authentic?

I think what lerath means is that these are not adult collector quality figures. A mass produced line can't be, almost per def. To turn the glass case argument around, if there's any place I'd expect people to realise the difference between a toyline an adult can collect, and items MADE to collect for an adult crowd, it'd be on a sideshow collectables site.:lol Of which I ironically own zero.

These are relatively higher-than-standerd quality toys. If the target of this line is mainly a kid, thy're quite exceptional. If it's meant as an actual adult quality dollector's line, hasbro's failing. The truth is that they're probably aiming for a hybrid approach. But a purist adult collectible collector would probably say there's no such thing.

The only Hasbro line that I'd consider completing is vintage Collection, only because of the card backs.

the anniversary collection has some good figures too, but I agree with you. Most of the lines are not worth it.

1st time poster - long time lurker...

Found this at my local Target today - Bespin Luke in the Han Packaging. Anyone seen or heard of this yet? Collectable error you think? The one picture is my half hearted photo attempt to show that the tape is untouched.

I just feel like this could be something someone could forge possible by taking the bubble pack out and put in a different box....is the untouched tape the only key to show this is authentic?

That's awesome. I had that happen with one of my older Sideshow figures.

A little late to the game, but I managed to find Wave 3 today at my local TRU. They had Luke, Obi-Wan, and Han...no Stormtrooper :-( The Obi-Wan they had looked decent paint wise, but I am holding off on him for now. I have a feeling he'll be the Greedo of this wave. I think I lucked out with the paint on my Luke though, I am very happy with him...

Personally I see no difference between collecting action figures and collecting comic books... Both are mass produced, but I doubt your going to convince people their not collectibles. As far as that goes I guess you could say SS statues are no longer collectibles any longer given the large ES numbers their putting out, Superman and Batman were both close to 10k units each.

It's fine that in your opinion you don't think their collectibles, but the way you posted it seems pretty evident you were trying to put other people down while trying to make yourself feel superior.

Not in the least. Quite the opposite really. Mostly becuase I don't give two ***** what somene else thinks in this regaurd. Though, since you brouaght it up, the stressing of "NO!, these are collectables, not toys" comes across as elitest, and carries with it a fealing of a mentality that needs to feel superior.

You're quite right, mine is just an opinion. Though, you make an interesting point about comic books.
In that specific regaurd, I'd say that VINTAGE comics, because ones of superior quality are in short supply, have BECOME collectable. while mondern comics aren't.

I lately tend to refer to anything that fals into the "collectable plate" catagory ( that being, an artifical collectable created as more or less a cash grab)
As "Nerd Bait". Variant comic book covers, secial editions, and generaly anythingcarying the phrase " Limited edition" for me falls into that catagory.

Yes, this exactly. Sorry If i came across as.... agressive. not my intent. Silran gets where i'm going.

Last edited:
So will Boba Fett ever come down in price or is he always going to be ridiculously high?

I thought I saw on a video sometime ago that Hasbro was eventually going to release a 'Han in Carbonite' figure, if thats true then I'd think the Boba with Han would go down somewhat since the only thing exclusive about it after that would be the box.

I thought I saw on a video sometime ago that Hasbro was eventually going to release a 'Han in Carbonite' figure, if thats true then I'd think the Boba with Han would go down somewhat since the only thing exclusive about it after that would be the box.

Hopefully buddy, anything to bring him down in price will do nicely.

I have picked up Luke and Obi Wan from wave 3 online. These haven't started showing up in my area yet. Really want to find a stormtrooper or two.

Back