PDA

View Full Version : So, now that the movie is out, How would YOU have done the flick?

CelticPredator
08-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Where would you have gone with the story?

Who would you put in it?

Who would you cast?

I'd like to see all the fans give their ideas, and have a *ahem* calmer...discussion. :naughty

BuddyGus
08-13-2009, 12:26 AM
This should be real interesting.

CelticPredator
08-13-2009, 01:34 AM
And no, this isnt sarcastic in anyway.

creature4000
08-13-2009, 04:46 AM
In before the lock! :lol

Deeznutz6
08-13-2009, 04:47 AM
First thing, ax Channing Tatum ......

thenammagazine
08-13-2009, 05:13 AM
Add Lorenzo di Bonaventura, Stephen Sommers and Marlon Wayans to the chopping block...

karamazov80
08-13-2009, 06:41 AM
Add more Wayans Brothers and Mad TV cast members to cast. More CGI. Snake Eyes talks.*

*Note: I haven't seen the movie yet. I assume that he doesn't talk. If he does, ignore last request.

ortiz344
08-13-2009, 06:52 AM
I wont comment on casting but:
a)start with cobra already existing, show backstories in flashbacks
b)much closer to original costumes to keep uniqueness
c)dont save destro and cobra putting thier masks on to the last 2 minutes of the movie

Jediguy
08-13-2009, 07:07 AM
This could be a very cool topic. Firstly, I'd love to stick to the comic book storyline!

Maybe show snake eyes losing his voice in that accident.

While the vehicles they showed were cool, several "real" vehicles such as the Osprey would be cool.

Change out the Joes and show the core team forming up. The minor joes can join in later on.

I know GIJOE is totally unrealistic, but a certain degree of realism would be cool.

Mesa
08-13-2009, 07:27 AM
Make sure Zartan turns blue when submerged under water in order to stay true to the toys and keep the fan boys happy and quiet.

teemu
08-13-2009, 02:01 PM
First thing, ax Channing Tatum ......

agreed...cant stand him

thenammagazine
08-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Make sure Zartan turns blue when submerged under water in order to stay true to the toys and keep the fan boys happy and quiet.

Psssssssst... it was the sunlight that made Zartan blue bud. ;)

CelticPredator
08-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Yep. Channing is out for sure.

Someone mentioned Nathan Fillion....that IMO would work.

Sachiel
08-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Psssssssst... it was the sunlight that made Zartan blue bud. ;)

I'm sure if you held him under water for a while, he would also turn blue.

thenammagazine
08-13-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm sure if you held him under water for a while, he would also turn blue.

I'm fairly certain it was the UV that made the color change. The character himself had a sun allergy.

NASEDO
08-13-2009, 06:51 PM
I would get rid of the "black" suits and make the Joe's look like Joe's.

nash
08-13-2009, 06:56 PM
I would get rid of the "black" suits and make the Joe's look like Joe's.

racist....

MANDO
08-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Preproduction…

I’d hand my wardrobe/costume designers this book (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4OYGjUrdllo/SRZWyQ1zL0I/AAAAAAAAJr0/RMdzmwRySWw/s400/Amazon.com-+Ultimate+Guide+to+G.I.+Joe+1982-1994-+Mark+Bellomo-+Books_1226200725968.png), as well as my Order of Battle issues and tell them to make me proud.

The prop guys would be issued scores of oldschool vehicle blueprints and even some actual ARAH vehicles to get a feel for the individual parts, etc.

Scriptwise I’d want to sit down with Hamma and express how I want a story that could take place alongside the original comic, with references to it of course.

The actual film…

The first few minutes or so would be a shot for shot live action remake of the ’87 Joe movie opening. Everything from Claw gliders to Trouble Bubbles to to the CG punching out the video camera. This would probably be the most you’d see of Duke as a ‘main’ character at least. The music would be covered by a new artist. That’d be about the only reference I’d make to the cartoon. I don’t care who you are, oldschool fan or just a Friday night movie-goer, after that setup you’d be mine for the two and a half hours.

Opening scene would definitely be Clutch and Breaker cruising along in the vamp set to hard 80’s/70’s rock like Areosmith or AC/DC. At first it would seem like a joyride of sorts until they come over a hill where the camera would pan out to reveal a goodsize battle involving several Hiss tanks.

Hawk would be in the heat of it, blonde hair and decked out in BDU pants and a bomber jacket barking orders and taking out Vipers with his M-16 as they approach. Beachhead would be leading a ground assault consisting of Falcon, Rock & Roll, Roadblock (NOT Heavy Duty), and Dusty alongside Flint’s team of Bazooka, Footlloose, Ladyjaye, and Gung-Ho. Cut to Doc bandaging up a wounded Quick Kick wincing “One of these you’re gonna get us both killed!”.

Cut to Ace in the Skystriker tearing through a slew of Rattler’s trying to find the one Wild Weasle is flying (it’d have red trim/details). Ace realizes that there’s a pair of Mambas on his tail and he’s trying dodge enemy fire when suddenly one is struck by a missle causing it to collide into the other, both explode. There’s a loud “Ye-Haw!” on the intercom (a subtle yet obvious Star Wars/Han Solo nod) as Wild Bill, w/ Airborne, brings the locust up and helps cut through the enemy barrage of jets and helicopters.

That’s jist of my opening sequence, was this thread for ^^^^s and giggles or were you being serious?

Jediguy
08-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Holy crap that sounds pretty cool lol

Preproduction…

I’d hand my wardrobe/costume designers this book (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4OYGjUrdllo/SRZWyQ1zL0I/AAAAAAAAJr0/RMdzmwRySWw/s400/Amazon.com-+Ultimate+Guide+to+G.I.+Joe+1982-1994-+Mark+Bellomo-+Books_1226200725968.png), as well as my Order of Battle issues and tell them to make me proud.

The prop guys would be issued scores of oldschool vehicle blueprints and even some actual ARAH vehicles to get a feel for the individual parts, etc.

Scriptwise I’d want to sit down with Hamma and express how I want a story that could take place alongside the original comic, with references to it of course.

The actual film…

The first few minutes or so would be a shot for shot live action remake of the ’87 Joe movie opening. Everything from Claw gliders to Trouble Bubbles to to the CG punching out the video camera. This would probably be the most you’d see of Duke as a ‘main’ character at least. The music would be covered by a new artist. That’d be about the only reference I’d make to the cartoon. I don’t care who you are, oldschool fan or just a Friday night movie-goer, after that setup you’d be mine for the two and a half hours.

Opening scene would definitely be Clutch and Breaker cruising along in the vamp set to hard 80’s/70’s rock like Areosmith or AC/DC. At first it would seem like a joyride of sorts until they come over a hill where the camera would pan out to reveal a goodsize battle involving several Hiss tanks.

Hawk would be in the heat of it, blonde hair and decked out in BDU pants and a bomber jacket barking orders and taking out Vipers with his M-16 as they approach. Beachhead would be leading a ground assault consisting of Falcon, Rock & Roll, Roadblock (NOT Heavy Duty), and Dusty alongside Flint’s team of Bazooka, Footlloose, Ladyjaye, and Gung-Ho. Cut to Doc bandaging up a wounded Quick Kick wincing “One of these you’re gonna get us both killed!”.

Cut to Ace in the Skystriker tearing through a slew of Rattler’s trying to find the one Wild Weasle is flying (it’d have red trim/details). Ace realizes that there’s a pair of Mambas on his tail and he’s trying dodge enemy fire when suddenly one is struck by a missle causing it to collide into the other, both explode. There’s a loud “Ye-Haw!” on the intercom (a subtle yet obvious Star Wars/Han Solo nod) as Wild Bill, w/ Airborne, brings the locust up and helps cut through the enemy barrage of jets and helicopters.

That’s jist of my opening sequence, was this thread for ^^^^s and giggles or were you being serious?

DeltaForceChung
08-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Talk about a loaded question.

Personally speaking . . .

I'd use as reference/resource the first 39 issues of GI JOE RAH V1 from Marvel Comics.

Hire Larry Hama to draft the screenplay for provide a treatment and work it from there to come up with a solid 90 to 120 minute film.

As much as I'd like to have simply done an intro/origin film featuring the original 12 characters . . . Duke would have been a necessity.

Get rid of Tatum Channing . . . and Marlon Wayans as Ripcord.

I hate to say it . . . but I feel my fondest and precious childhood memory . . . has been "raped" by those bastards at Paramount and Stephen Sommers.

Buttmunch
08-13-2009, 08:11 PM
I'd bring Sideshow aboard to design the costumes first of all. A nice mix of modern, classic, and realistic interpretations.

Kibishii
08-13-2009, 09:09 PM

:rotfl:lol:rotfl
Ahh, yet another post that got me to laugh out loud.

thenammagazine
08-13-2009, 09:38 PM
:rotfl:lol:rotfl
Ahh, yet another post that got me to laugh out loud.

As a fan of the movie, he can't help it. :( :p

devilof76
08-13-2009, 09:52 PM
- Characters with histories based on the filecards, and appearances based on the action figures, undated for modern warfare.

- No characters before 1986.

- Hama writes screenplay.

- Ridley Scott directs. Sergio Leone would be the best option, but I'm trying to be realistic.

- overall effect is a PRETENTIOUS film where the Joe vs. Cobra universe is taken SERIOUSLY

- no origin stories; this starts in the middle of everything. Like The Iliad.

- casting? I'm sure I could find a better cast walking down the street than the tools they found for "the #1 movie in America". And I live in Maine.

thenammagazine
08-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Why not just develop the original mini series into something a bit more believable? Nobody's really taken exception to the characters that were used in ROC, just what they did to them and the toilet paper that was the script.

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero
This five-part pilot mini-series was alternately aired under the title "The MASS Device" during the series' syndication. Cobra steals an experimental teleportation unit, known as the MASS device, which has the ability to transport matter to any global location, using a satellite to relay the teleportation beam. G.I. Joe must stop Cobra by creating a MASS system of their own, but first they'll need to gather the three rare elements that power the device, which consist of radioactive crystals, heavy water found in the depths of the ocean, and fragments from a giant meteorite. The elements are located in three different environments; thus, the story is structured in a way that showcases the Joes and their different specialties.

I don't think it'd be that hard to take the above scenario and spin it into something less cheesy than the cartoon. Hell, if they did it for Bond, they can do it for Joe.

BuddyGus
08-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Preproduction…

The actual film…

YOU"RE HIRED!!!!!

Oh Wait, I don't own a movie company. Sadly I only possess common sense.

creature4000
08-14-2009, 04:43 AM
Why not just develop the original mini series into something a bit more believable? Nobody's really taken exception to the characters that were used in ROC, just what they did to them and the toilet paper that was the script.

I don't think it'd be that hard to take the above scenario and spin it into something less cheesy than the cartoon. Hell, if they did it for Bond, they can do it for Joe.

:lecture exactly... these are good stories!!

I actually believe that with the amount of money they spent on the film.. anyone here (except fans of ROC) could make a good GiJOE flick!

CelticPredator
08-14-2009, 06:22 AM
I kinda wanted to do a faithful Joe movie....I dont know why....maybe I just want to see a Hooded Commander running around.

karamazov80
08-14-2009, 07:05 AM
I think they should take that episode where the military-hating, liberal scientist turned out to be evil terrorist Baroness in disguise, and make that into a movie. Then the sequel could do the one where assistant to the military-hating, liberal investigative journalist turned out to be evil terrorist Baroness in disguise.

hairlesswookiee
08-14-2009, 08:55 AM
tell everyone to quit crying about it...its a kids movie. what's done is done.

thenammagazine
08-14-2009, 09:04 AM
tell everyone to quit crying about it...its a kids movie. what's done is done.

You're absolutely right, it was PG-13. Because movies like Scream, Terminator Salvation, The Dark Knight, Final Destination and The Grudge, you know, those other PG-13 "kids movies" are so family oriented too. :rolleyes:

Kuzeh
08-14-2009, 09:09 AM
So, now that the movie is out, How would YOU have done the flick?

:lol:lol:lol

DinoLast
08-14-2009, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't change anything because it's making a ton of money, and selling loads of toys.
That's why HASBRO allowed it to be made in the first place.

hairlesswookiee
08-14-2009, 09:16 AM
:emperor
You're absolutely right, it was PG-13. Because movies like Scream, Terminator Salvation, The Dark Knight, Final Destination and The Grudge, you know, those other PG-13 "kids movies" are so family oriented too. :rolleyes:
who brought those into the conversation? i'm just saying if you don't like it, get over it. i'll certainly dismiss it while i'm going to see district 9.

hairlesswookiee
08-14-2009, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't change anything because it's making a ton of money, and selling loads of toys.
That's why HASBRO allowed it to be made in the first place.

^^^ ding ding!! hasbro won't care what the 40 year old virgins are whining about because they banked money off of it and are probably hoping it brought in a new generation of customers.

thenammagazine
08-14-2009, 09:23 AM
:emperor
who brought those into the conversation? i'm just saying if you don't like it, get over it. i'll certainly dismiss it while i'm going to see district 9.

Then kindly dismiss it and be on your way. :p You're the one who said it was a "kids flick." I simply compared it to other films that shared the same rating which would suggest that the powers that be don't agree with your statement.

Khev
08-14-2009, 09:24 AM
I think all future movie adaptations should star Marlon Wayans and stray as far from the source material as humanly possible. As long as the owner of the property sells toys then I'm happy. And if anyone whines about it then by golly I'll whine about them.

thenammagazine
08-14-2009, 09:33 AM
I think all future movie adaptations should star Marlon Wayans and stray as far from the source material as humanly possible. As long as the owner of the property sells toys then I'm happy. And if anyone whines about it then by golly I'll whine about them.

:lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl:lol

hairlesswookiee
08-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Then kindly dismiss it and be on your way. :p You're the one who said it was a "kids flick." I simply compared it to other films that shared the same rating which would suggest that the powers that be don't agree with your statement.
lol... i see what point you're getting at, but if you think GI Joe is anything other than a kids movie you need help. and Scream / Final Destination / Terminator Salvation are anything but kids movies, they might share the same rating, but i don't these movies should have PG13.

hairlesswookiee
08-14-2009, 09:41 AM
awesome! i think they should just randomly insert parts from the animated movie to see if anyone notices. it'll probably make it more entertaining.

die
08-14-2009, 11:58 AM
-Have a more established white gangsta play Duke...like maybe Eminem or John Cena.

-Make all white Joes black and have Neal Patrick Harris (Doogie) play Stalker.

-Have Cobra Commander also be Hawk's nephew and Snow Job's hairdresser/gardener.

-make Beach Head a Russian

Oh, serious answer? How about stick to the source material rather than trying to add in little things loosely referencing source material.

thenammagazine
08-14-2009, 01:05 PM
-Have a more established white gangsta play Duke...like maybe Eminem or John Cena.

-Make all white Joes black and have Neal Patrick Harris (Doogie) play Stalker.

-Have Cobra Commander also be Hawk's nephew and Snow Job's hairdresser/gardener.

-make Beach Head a Russian

Oh, serious answer? How about stick to the source material rather than trying to add in little things loosely referencing source material.

^^^^ that. Go all out man. Get the ultimate "gangsta," to play Duke, Kevin Federline. Have the dude who played Powder be Staker, have Cobra Commander be Hawk's stepfather-halfbrother-nephew (from Arkansas), bring back Brendon Fraiser to play Lady Jay and make Beachhead one of the guinea pigs from G-Force!

die
08-14-2009, 07:02 PM
K-Fed for Duke! I love it man.

How about Dave Chapelle as Rick James to play the part of Flint in the sequel?

How about have the Baroness be the Baroness disguised as Olivia Munn disguised as the Baroness?

Robin Williams as Roadblock for the block.

Bloodsport
08-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Now, what I would have done is keep the true history together. I would present this as a intense war movie. I would kept the history of Cobra Commander and Snake Eyes in the story? Cobra Commander would be seeing wearing in one scene his hood and another his helment. Keep the story adult because most joe's fans are adults now in their mid 30's or over. I would have all the original joes from the cartoon in the movie. My story would be Cobra quest for world domination but present it in a real intense style of filmmaking. Cobra would set up explosives in cities but show the horrors of a terrorist attacks, not some building just falling. That is lame. Show the casualities, show people with legs blown off, metals wrapped around in flesh, NO CGI. Real prosphetics, fx, latex.

blue_rogue
08-15-2009, 10:08 AM
I haven't seen the movie, but I'm pretty sure I would have left the accelerator suits out of it.

DPrime
08-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Honestly, I didn't have much of a problem with the script, although I don't think Duke and CC needed to be old friends. Acquaintances, maybe, but not friends. I don't mind the Baroness thing... IF it turns out she was in deep cover in the first place (which is not out of character after all).

Probably the only thing I'd change is make Ripcord into Stalker and change the costumes around on a few of the characters so they match the originals a bit more. Probably make Sgt Stone into Beachhead, too.

die
08-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Probably the only thing I'd change is make Ripcord into Stalker and change the costumes around on a few of the characters so they match the originals a bit more. Probably make Sgt Stone into Beachhead, too.

Well, Ripcord was a Stalker...Who would've thought that staring at a chick's ass like it had the Contra code tattooed on it and making her feel like she was waaaay too smart to carry on a basic conversation with you would actually win her over. Now I know....

I'm glad they didn't try their hand at Beach Head, he's got a huge fan following and there would probably be a riot when they made him into an African surfer with a robotic neckbrace or some crap.

DPrime
08-18-2009, 06:34 AM
Well, Ripcord was a Stalker...Who would've thought that staring at a chick's ass like it had the Contra code tattooed on it and making her feel like she was waaaay too smart to carry on a basic conversation with you would actually win her over. Now I know....

I'm glad they didn't try their hand at Beach Head, he's got a huge fan following and there would probably be a riot when they made him into an African surfer with a robotic neckbrace or some crap.

Well, I just meant make Brendan Frasier's character into Beach Head. It was like, omg, here's Brendan Frasier all of a sudden making a sort of cool cameo (yeah, I like him, I admit) and he's fan-favourite... Sgt Stone?

I just think that he should have been someone recognizable, and what with him being involved in the training, BH would have been a good choice.

(BTW, yeah, I DID like the movie... didn't expect to, but I did.)

thenammagazine
08-18-2009, 06:56 AM
Well, I just meant make Brendan Frasier's character into Beach Head. It was like, omg, here's Brendan Frasier all of a sudden making a sort of cool cameo (yeah, I like him, I admit) and he's fan-favourite... Sgt Stone?

I just think that he should have been someone recognizable, and what with him being involved in the training, BH would have been a good choice.

(BTW, yeah, I DID like the movie... didn't expect to, but I did.)

He was initially slated to play Gung Ho. I say force him to play the role he scoffed at. I'd be perfectly happy if we never see Beachhead in this "genre" of Joe.

die
08-19-2009, 07:38 AM
. I'd be perfectly happy if we never see Beachhead in this "genre" of Joe.

AMEN!

Breaker was the first Joe I ever owned, so imagine how I feel about where they went with his character. They could've just made him Dialtone.:rotfl