Confession: I actually like the Mighty Muggs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
I almost feel guilty. I blast products like this all the time. Bobble-heads. Deformed figures. Freaky anime dolls. I tend to despise these things and, imho, I think they're dumb and also represent rock-bottom of consumer and licensing exploitation.

HOWEVER... at MegaCon this past weekend my 5 year old son saw one of the recently-released Boba Fett Mighty Muggs at a dealers booth. The dealer was selling them for barely above retail, $12 I think. So I bought the little tyke one. After I opened it for him and he began playing with it (yes, I guess you can actually play with a piece of nearly inarticulate plastic that has no texture) something hit me: These little guys are actually kinda cute and fun in their own way.

So, I went and picked up an Obi-Wan and Darth Maul for myself. :eek:

sw08MuggsMaul09.jpg

I now also plan to pick up the Indiana Jones and Mola Ram Mighty Muggs to go along with them. :monkey4

What is wrong with me? What evil befell me while in Central Florida? Those who know me and my collecting habits will get how amusing this is. I particularly dislike things that are also considered "hip" and part of a timed fad. These Mighty Muggs things are all of that. But they're just so darn alluring, for some reason... from the packaging to the product itself.

Damn you, Hasbro. :lol

They're cool. I don't like them all, but the Stormtrooper and ANH Luke are both high among my favorites. Not everything in a collection needs to be a realistic depiction of a movie character. That gets old after a while.

I like them, too. I only got Obi-Wan, but they're all rather cute.

If you focus your collection on a character or two, all these different versions can be interesting and add variety to a display.

They are cute to look at but I wouldn't want to buy them myself as I've got other things to collect first, but if my nephews got them for me for Easter I wouldn't mind. :D

:lol No worries, I like them too. I haven't bought any SW characters, although I wouldn't mind getting the Stormtrooper if I can find it. But I do plan on buying the Indy Mighty Muggs. They remind me of why I collect in the first place -- to have fun. I think sometimes we get so wrapped up in ES, quality, my company is better than you company, etc. that we forget to just sit back and enjoy the hobby.

I have the Boba and Vader (the best one, IMHO). I'm planning on getting Jango and Cody later this year, but then I'll probably stop. The "human" ones don't do anything for me, but I'm digging the armored Muggs.

Then again, the new Lando one is such a pimp that I may not be able to resist. :lol

And yeah, I keep these displayed with my Potato Head guys and SD Palm Talkers. I love having variety in the collection.

I like these like the VCDs, they're unique and certainly for $10 not that painful on the budget. I've got Obi-Wan and Maul, I'm pretty sure they're doing a Jedi Luke that I'm definitely going to get. These are ok for Star Wars, but I saw a Hulk one last night and it just doesn't work too well in that situation.

I think they're totally awesome looking. Those Marvel ones look awesome, and I'm really excited for the Indiana Jones ones as well, especially the Mola Ram one.

The one thing I think these lack is little tidbits of detail here and there. For instance, I don't think it would have killed them to add horns to Maul or little wings to the Capt America.

Augh! Now I have to confess, I own the Obi-Wan figure! But I love him, he's way cool looking behind the Obi-Wan Chubbies set. Actually, it's funny--all my friends know I collect figures and stuff, but none of them collected--until now. These little dudes became so popular that some of my friends have every single one of them. My sister's roommates even cleared an entire shelf for the little guys! It's actually pretty weird to think that I somehow got an entire apartment of girls to get into a craze of Star Wars collecting (who'd have thought?)--not that there's anything wrong with that. Now they keep asking me to go with them to all the toy stores to buy Mighty Muggs, and they're starting to get into the Galactic Heroes line too. There's no stopping now! I mean, when they said these guys were trendy, I had no idea what that meant. Now I do. :lol

Back