Toy Hunters Hong Kong Questionable Returns Policy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thairobot

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hi all,

Last week I was super excited to get the chance to visit Toy Hunters store in Hong Kong. Being a noob collector, I really had no idea what to expect other from what I'd learned from fellow collector's reviews and info.

Upon arrival, I was delighted to see that they had a Hot Toys Iron Man 3 Igor (MMS215) available for a great price ($HK 3280, approx $US 423), so I grabbed that big boy. I also picked up the Hot Toys Iron Man 3 Mk XLII (MMS197DC) for $HK 1980 - approx $US 255. Finally, my wife, bless her, persuaded me to buy one of several Predator figures on display. I chose the Predator 2 Elder Predator, for around 1350 $HK, approx $US175.

The staff there were helpful, if not overly friendly, and one of the guys opened up each one of the boxes for a cursory inspection prior to me leaving. Obviously, one can only see that all the parts are accounted for with no obvious damage. The Predator figure was removed from the outer sleeve only, so I could only confirm that all parts were present.

So, buzzing like a child on Christmas morning, I returned to my hotel, arriving about two hours later.

Predator was the first guy I opened up. As soon as I took him out of the box I saw that his right leg was hanging loosely in the netting covering his body. At first I thought that it has just popped out of the joint, but on closer inspection it appeared to have snapped cleaned off at the joint. This one had either slipped through the QC department, or deliberately put back in the box in the hope that someone wouldn't notice. Anyway, at least I hadn't left Hong Kong and returned home to Bangkok before discovering the defect. No drama, another trip to Toy Hunters would quickly sort it out, I thought. Both Igor and Iron Man Mk42 were both in perfect condition, I must add.

I returned to Toy Hunters with broken Predator in hand after only two and a half hours, I guess. I found the guy who dealt with me earlier and showed him the problem. He told me that, "actually", Toy Hunters doesn't accept returns, and that this item has no warranty. I countered that I was only here a couple of hours ago, when I spent a considerable amount of money on a, clearly, defective product which must be exchanged for a new one. He relented, but told me that he could do this only once. In that case, I said, I will exchange for something else, something slightly more robust. I chose the Iron Man Iron Patriot (MMS195DC), and forked out the extra 600 $HK for the little guy. The assistant, again, mentioned that he would not accept any further returns if the figure turned out to be damaged in any way, so it was up to me to accept this policy or not. Take it or leave it, basically. I told the guy that if I wasn't allowed to inspect the product closely in the store, how can I be sure that this one wasn't also defective. "Take it or leave it", he said. Wow! Tough sales policy! I had come a long way for these figures, so I took the chance and away I went.
Fortunately, all was groovy with the Iron Patriot, and I returned home happy. But, I was left feeling disappointed that Toy Hunters feel they have to do business this way. I understand that due to the quite delicate nature of some of these figures they have to protect themselves from customers returning a figure whenever something breaks, due to careless handling or shipping, but in cases like mine, I feel there should have been no argument.

So, all ended well and my collection has three new awesome additions. I probably won't buy anything from Toy Hunters again, too risky in my opinion. There are dozens of stores in Hong Kong. I'm sure there are many that would appreciate my custom.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my experience with my fellow Freaks. Has anyone out there had a similar scare with a dealer? I'd be keen to know if this is standard practice.

Cheerio for now.

:wave

Even though this is HK, it's a good warning to other buyers. Could you post it here and I'll add it to the first post?

I'm afraid that thairobot's experience is fairly standard for Hong Kong. This is more of a cultural difference between East and West. Many places in Hong Kong will have a no refund, no return policy meaning that the shop will leave it to you to check to state of your goods at purchase because as soon as you walk out of the shop, they no longer consider it their problem. Sounds pretty harsh and unfair to those of us used to a fairly free returns policy in our countries but that's how it is out there. People I know in Hong Kong might even argue that you had it pretty easy that they were willing to consider an exchange!

You are also lucky to have been able to buy anything as all the times that I have been, everything has been sold out or only really unpopular figures available to purchase!

I will certainly conduct a thorough inspection before leaving the store in future, Ipodimusprime. I do consider myself lucky I was able to exchange my crippled Predator. I can't be certain, but I have a feeling they knew it was damaged and hoped I wouldn't notice until I was home and it was too late. Thinking back, the assistant who initially served me asked if I wouldn't prefer another Predator instead, because the one I chose, the Elder Predator, was the last one. Also, the guy who took care of the sale made a point of telling me that "this one has no warranty, ok?" At the time I thought it was an odd think to say because I didn't consider any of them having any warranty as such, so I, naively, brushed it off. I'll take that as a lesson.

To be honest, when visiting Hong Kong, I tend to regard Secret Base and Toyhunters as venues to see the figures that I am interested out on display. They are also great for looking at upcoming releases. As I mentioned earlier, it's extremely rare that you are actually able to buy any of the Hot Toys stuff you see displayed. Those two places really cater for the home (Hong Kong) collection market as figures are often sold out on pre-order long before their actual release date. The shops are simply the place where collectors go to pick up their figures once released. Seriously, in one trip you were luckier than I have ever been in terms of being to buy a figure that I wanted direct from Hot Toys!

If I buy, I tend to do it from one of the re-sellers and local toy shops. Since the figures are cheaper in Hong Kong than they are for me in the UK, even re-sellers prices look pretty good compared to those in the UK. For example, last year I got hold of an Iron Patriot from a toy shop for approximately £160 when a lot of places in the UK were wanting about £230 for one. Sadly, that purchase led me down the slippery slope of Hot Toys addiction and my current tally of 17 Iron Men and numerous other Marvel figures to add to my Star Wars and Predator collection!! Also, I can usually only take one or two figures home with me so I'm happy to try and support my local UK dealers for most of my purchases.

As for your suspicions about the seller, I wouldn't like to say but I wouldn't altogether disagree with you..........
Happy collecting - those figures you managed to buy are amongst the favourites in my collection!

To be honest, when visiting Hong Kong, I tend to regard Secret Base and Toyhunters as venues to see the figures that I am interested out on display. They are also great for looking at upcoming releases. As I mentioned earlier, it's extremely rare that you are actually able to buy any of the Hot Toys stuff you see displayed. Those two places really cater for the home (Hong Kong) collection market as figures are often sold out on pre-order long before their actual release date. The shops are simply the place where collectors go to pick up their figures once released. Seriously, in one trip you were luckier than I have ever been in terms of being to buy a figure that I wanted direct from Hot Toys!

If I buy, I tend to do it from one of the re-sellers and local toy shops. Since the figures are cheaper in Hong Kong than they are for me in the UK, even re-sellers prices look pretty good compared to those in the UK. For example, last year I got hold of an Iron Patriot from a toy shop for approximately £160 when a lot of places in the UK were wanting about £230 for one. Sadly, that purchase led me down the slippery slope of Hot Toys addiction and my current tally of 17 Iron Men and numerous other Marvel figures to add to my Star Wars and Predator collection!! Also, I can usually only take one or two figures home with me so I'm happy to try and support my local UK dealers for most of my purchases.

As for your suspicions about the seller, I wouldn't like to say but I wouldn't altogether disagree with you..........
Happy collecting - those figures you managed to buy are amongst the favourites in my collection!

:goodpost:

A lot of figures became very high in demand. People know that Hot Toys products in general will go up in value so even if they regret pre-ordering they still keep the toys and try to sell it on Yahoo Auctions.
There's not a lot of after sales service in Hong Kong. It used to be a lot better with Hot Toys and Enterbay but the spoiled customers in Hong Kong abused the system and go to extreme methods to be a pain in the butt that companies are more restrictive to checking good before purchase. You can inspect figures but not touching it. And usually if there is a problem and you are reasonable they usually attempt to repair it at the factory. At least that was my case with the Hot Toys one true Batman (DX09) figure. Even if it's a new product the warranty is only valid for the first 12 days after pickup.

Yeah, good post, man. Thanks for the advice.

I am, also, well and truly on that slippery slope. I just bought another truckload of Iron Man stuff today. Had to be done. I have a lot of catching up to do :D

Although I'm based in Bangkok, I'm currently working in the UK. I'll be back next week for another 8 week stint. My nearest collectible store over there is Forbidden Planet in Birmingham. I bought my first Hot Toys figures from there last month. Can you believe I paid £270 for The Iron Man Red Snapper? I don't really care because I love it, but this is the priciest I've seen it anywhere since. I also picked up the Robocop ED209 for the same price, which isn't too bad, to be fair. I've seen it go for more elsewhere.

Hong Kong was a little hectic. I had so little time in the end. My wife and I were staying just 2 nights, and, of course, Disneyland was part of the deal if I was going to spend a small fortune on collectibles. As I'm sure you are aware, most of the collectible stores don't open until early evening, with the exception of Toy Hunters which opens at 1:30pm. I didn't even bother checking out Secret Base because I knew the chances of, actually, walking away with anything were virtually zero, so I was surprised to find so much available at Toy Hunters. There wasn't a huge selection, but they had what I was looking for. We wandered around a deserted In's Point on our last afternoon - only one Lego store was open. I was tempted to grab some, being a big fan, but Igor pretty much filled my entire suitcase. Still, we had a blast and I recommend visiting to anyone if you get the chance.

CloudN is absolutely correct - I was only permitted to a visual inspection at purchase. I suspected that things weren't always this way. It's unfortunate that their policy has been affected by their success and popularity, and, as Ipodimusprime pointed out, cultural differences, also, come in to play. Anyway, eBay seems to be working for me, and I love the Belgian online store: La Cite' Des Nuages. Thank you, Anx10us, for that one. I've just spent 1,000 Euros with them, so I'll let you know how the transaction turns out.

Must dash.

Bye for now :rock2

FYI, this is Hot Toys and Toy Hunters "Terms and Conditions" policy from the back of one of my sales receipts.

TC1.jpg

Back