Christian Bale vs. Robert Downey Jr.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who's the better actor?

• Total voters

batfan08

Super Freak
Reaction score
Who's the better actor? Regardless of the heroes they portrayed, or what you think of the films they've been in, who do you think has the stronger acting abilities?

With a couple of exceptions for both guys (Patrick Bateman and Charlie Chaplin particularly), both of them tend to play variations of the same character over and over. Bale has "deeper," more dramatic roles in general I guess, but RDJ has more charisma and humor. I'm not sure either has a clear advantage, since both have strengths and weaknesses.

With a couple of exceptions for both guys (Patrick Bateman and Charlie Chaplin particularly), both of them tend to play variations of the same character over and over. Bale has "deeper," more dramatic roles in general I guess, but RDJ has more charisma and humor. I'm not sure either has a clear advantage, since both have strengths and weaknesses.

I like Downey, but I think I'd give it to Bale based on work ethic alone. That's not to say that Downey's not a hard worker, but Bale gives his all to each performance to the point where I'm surprised the guy's not got serious health issues.

RDJ wins this for his work in "Chaplin" alone. IMHO the best modern performance by a lead actor that was snubbed an Oscar (for Al Pacino in "Scent of A Woman" of all things).

Eh, I actually really like Pachino in that. I don't think it's his best or that it was oscar worthy but I enjoyed it nonetheless (especially the school's trial court scene).

I like Downey, but I think I'd give it to Bale based on work ethic alone. That's not to say that Downey's not a hard worker, but Bale gives his all to each performance to the point where I'm surprised the guy's not got serious health issues.
Just based on what he did for the Machinist, it's hard to argue with that. Method acting on that order shows serious dedication, for sure. But then, Mathew McConaughey, Vincent D'Onofrio, and Jared Leto have also done that kind of thing, and they aren't in these kinds of conversations.

I have to give it to Bale -

The Prestige, Rescue Dawn, American Psycho, The Fighter, The Machinist, Harsh Times, 3:10 To Yuma...all great performances. Batman is one of my least favorites of his roles (though I do like the films) as is that dreadful Terminator movie.

RDJ has also been in some incredible roles - and given amazing performances...but for me Bale wins by a hair.

Bale hands down he has better movies he plays better characters.

Last edited:
Back