Screen Used Scythe and Props

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hey All,

It has been a while. ;-)

Here are some screen used items I have:

The Scythe
Urn of Osiris
Faith's Knife (screen used in season 3 and altered for the stab sceen with Buffy/Faith).
Halloween H20 Knife
Halloween Resurrection (Hero Knife in the last part of the movie and the stunt knife).

I have other Buffy/Angel props (like Angel's leather trenchcoat), but have to get to taking pictures.

scyth2.jpg

buffysc1.jpg

urn2.jpg

Last edited:
Holy crap. Not only some amazing props but the display is just phenomanal. So classy.
How did you acquire those Buffy props? Those are serious grails,so jealous.
Beautiful just congrats.

Hiya,

They look much better in person, pics just do not do them justice.
The scythe is SOOOO light, it is amazing holding it - you just would not think it would be so light. I have to admit, the scythe is my grail - the rest are amazing, but the scythe is the grail.
I got them from screen used, which got them from the prop guy that worked on Buffy.

I almost fell off my chair! How cool is that!?!? God, I hate you (not really :D) because people with real props in their collections mean I will never have a collection as big and awesome as them!
Very cool display, so museum-like, the scythe looks incredible. I want to see more pics!!

Who would possibly be happy with their FatoryX Scythe when someone has THAT in there collection? Im now looking at my Sword of Angelus in shame. PLease dont buy it or I'll die inside.:lol

Amazing collection of props!
The display is just so classy.

I especially like the Scythe and the Halloween nives are my faves.

Thank you. ;-)
I am trying to get my hands on Olaf's Hammer and the stake shown in "Hush". Also trying to get the stunt knife used in Halloween 4/5.

I do have the screen used Angel's Leather Trenchcoat.

But my grail is the scythe, it is amazing and I still get butterflies all the time over it (even though I have had it a while).

I do have the screen used Angel's Leather Trenchcoat.

well who doesn't? :lol seriously though, there are quite a few of those out there, just like with Spike's

I think I need to buy the Factory X Urn of Osiris and scythe and put them in display cases so no one can tell they're the replicas!!!! :D

I have to get my pics back up. ;-)

I got them from the prop guy on Buffy through Screen Used. The Knives came from Miramax. ;-)

Nice set up! :rock

I love the Slayer Scythe. Somehow my Factory X version now just seems so inadequate. :(

I'm thinking about picking up the Jackal by Gil Hibben though.

Owning the Slayer Scythe is definately like having the holy grail of the Buffy series...

However, does anyone out there own the grail of the Angel series... I'm talking about the Smile Time Angel Puppet? I wonder what lucky soul got to take that home. :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

Protozaius said:
Owning the Slayer Scythe is definately like having the holy grail of the Buffy series...

It would certainly be nice to own one, but bear in mind that there are more than one in public hands and none of them were necessarily screen-used; one or all could be back-up pieces. None of the ones in public hands is the hero prop used in closeups by Buffy and Faith--Joss Whedon himself kept that one. The scythes that've made their way to the public are either background stunt or backup props. They could've been used onscreen, or not, but there's no way to be certain.

Much the same is true of the Olaf troll hammers that've made their way to the public. Even the one sold by Fox during the big auction when the show first ended had "replica" in the auction title to make sure bidders knew it wasn't a screen used hero prop. At least two others were sold by other means after that, but the paint doesn't match either of at least two screen-used troll hammers.

For me, the stunt Jackal knife is the real star of that collection--we know for a fact that it was screen-used by Buffy and Faith because it is clearly seen in closeups. It's fantastic by virtue of when, where, and by whom it was used on screen. For me at least, that's what makes a prop or wardrobe item special.

Protozaius said:
However, does anyone out there own the grail of the Angel series... I'm talking about the Smile Time Angel Puppet? I wonder what lucky soul got to take that home. :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

Fox still owns the original Angel puppet, AFAIK. Late last year someone on a prop collecting forum posted pictures of it in a display case at a Fox studio building.

The torn puppet clothing and stuffing from when Nina attacked him, though, were sold online earlier this year, as was the big blue puppet/costume Ratio.

I've collected several lesser props and wardrobe items from Buffy and Angel and other shows (Tru Calling, Andromeda, Arrested Development, ER, My So-Called Life, Degrassi, etc), but nothing as exciting and big as mikey's very impressive buys. I've got two (out of 4 complete ones made) of the Gavrok spiders from the mayor's ascension, the Hellions patch Tara put an axe through, the Mark of Keklorum dagger handled by Cordy, Wes, and Angel, a Lorne-used axe, and a bunch more small items like that. My favorite Whedonverse item in my collection isn't something screen-used, though; it's a partial first draft for the Firefly episode "Our Mrs. Reynolds" handwritten by Joss himself--it's cool to see where he crosses stuff out, inserts new dialogue in the margins, and just how awful his handwriting is. :)

Last edited:
A friend of mine's dad owns a screen used double sided Stake from Chosen. I saw it in person, and I checked with the ep and it was the exact one used by one of the potetials. Very very cool stuff.
Wish I owned one.

Actually, the story behind the scythes (directly from the prop guy on Buffy - which is where my scythe actually came from then through screen used) is each one of them were used - there were 3 rubber (used for the stunts) and 1 hero (the problem is each time they were used in stunts - they had to be re-painted due to damage and the next one was used, and the bigger problem was the paint job never excatly matched the last one they did - no biggie for fight sequences), so each got some screen time, and all of them still have battle marks and damage/cracks from impact/etc. I can place the paint job on mine on screen 3 times (amazingly enough). ;-) Watch the fight scenes with the scythe in slow motion, you can actually see the rubber bend in many of them, also all the rubber ones have solid spikes at the bottom, where the hero has hollow or cut out spikes (the silver spikes are at the bottom of the scythe before the stake), you can tell easily on screen when the hero and the rubber ones are used.
Where they are, Fox auctioned one on ebay and screen used got the other 2, Joss does own the Hero.
From my understanding, there were 2 Hero Faith's knives - the one I have was used in season 3 and altered for the stab scene.
I will say this, you have to be careful where and who you get props from, make sure you know the history of the item and you do your research on every aspect of it. ;-)

SergeiEsenin, I would love to see pics of the Gavrok spider, do you have any?

Last edited:
mikey said:
Actually, the story behind the scythes (directly from the prop guy on Buffy - which is where my scythe actually came from then through screen used) is each one of them were used - there were 3 rubber (used for the stunts) and 1 hero (the problem is each time they were used in stunts - they had to be re-painted due to damage and the next one was used, and the bigger problem was the paint job never excatly matched the last one they did - no biggie for fight sequences), so each got some screen time, and all of them still have battle marks and damage/cracks from impact/etc. I can place the paint job on mine on screen 3 times (amazingly enough). ;-) Watch the fight scenes with the scythe in slow motion, you can actually see the rubber bend in many of them, also all the rubber ones have solid spikes at the bottom, where the hero has hollow or cut out spikes (the silver spikes are at the bottom of the scythe before the stake), you can tell easily on screen when the hero and the rubber ones are used.
Where they are, Fox auctioned one on ebay and screen used got the other 2, Joss does own the Hero.

Hey, thanks for sharing that bit of info--I knew there were at least 3 in public hands, but I wasn't aware that all were verified to be screen-used. I thought the situation was akin to the troll hammers, where some exist that weren't used onscreen but rather were backups or pulls. It's good to know otherwise, although now I almost regret not considering buying one of the ones I saw on ScreenUsed. I regularly check that and the other major prop sites for interesting items, though I tend to buy more often from eBay merchants known to be trustworthy (which is a short list--there are more scammers than honest prop merchants on eBay).

mikey said:
From my understanding, there were 2 Hero Faith's knives - the one I have was used in season 3 and altered for the stab scene.

Faith did indeed use 2 different styles of knife, the Jackal in Season 3 and a different, custom style in Season 7. Of the S3 Jackal type, there should be 3 screen-used knives. The picture below comes from the guy who brokered many of the biggest Buffy props (Mr. Pointy, the original Orb of Thesulah, etc.), though I can't recall if he said all 3 were metal or not. One of the 3 appears to be the one you have now. :)

buffy_faith_knives_01.jpg

mikey said:
I will say this, you have to be careful where and who you get props from, make sure you know the history of the item and you do your research on every aspect of it. ;-)

Absolutely. I typically only buy from the most established and reputable prop/wardrobe vendors, or from verifiable sources. Vendors like ScreenUsed, moviepropking, premiereprops, Propstore of London, etc., can be trusted more or less automatically, though one should watch the fine print. But, random sellers without a reputation in the prop/wardrobe community need to be dealt with carefully. Before buying my handwritten Whedon Firefly draft script, for example, I verified that the seller did work with access to draft scripts on the show. Just this week I bought a dress worn by Claire Danes on the groundbreaking show My So-Called Life (which is in some ways a direct ancestor to Buffy), but only after comparing it inch-by-inch on a 100" screen to the dress seen on the DVDs to see that the patterns and seams match exactly. The key is verifiability of some sort--you need to be able to verify either the seller or the item, if not both.

mikey said:
SergeiEsenin, I would love to see pics of the Gavrok spider, do you have any?

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of my two. :-( I just sold my digital camera to help finance a newer one, so I can't take a new image right now, either. But, I did save a picture of the other two, which were sold to a different buyer--it's not detailed and doesn't give a sense of scale, but it'll have to do for now. One thing you'll notice is that this is the spider Faith threw her knife into, plus an intact one. The ones I have are the one Buffy fell on/crushed, and an intact one. The blurry picture hides a lot of details--they're very realistically painted in greys and blues and greens, and the silicone "guts" are so lifelike I felt like vomiting when I saw my Buffy-crushed one. :)

a8_12_b.jpg

No problem, just sharing the info I have on them. Completely my Holy Grail. ;-)

Thanks for the pics. The spiders are great, when you get a camera PM me a pic of yours if you can. ;-)

Looking at the pics of the Faith's knives, it looks like the bottom 2 are rubber/plastic (based on the marks on the blade, and the way the hilt does not shine/glossy). Did the Propstore sell the middle one not too long ago, if so it was rubber, and I way SOOO upset I missed that one - I want a rubber one also.

My biggest problem are props (especially Buffy) seem to be WAY overpriced/and makes it very difficult to making choices on which to buy. SergeiEsenin, if you are anything like me, I let some pass me up and then kicked myself in the butt later for not picking it up when I had the chance.

I completely agree with you about the big prop houses (pretty safe to buy from, YES - read the fine priint, ask questions, get it in writing/etc) - I was offered a hard rubber stake (Buffy) from one of them recently, but had to pass on it due to no information on the when/where/how factor. I also agree that on ebay you can sometimes find that amazing deal - just be careful. ;-)

SergeiEsenin, how long have you been prop collecting?

Last edited:
Please go on, it's been very enjoyable reading the interaction between you two regarding the props you own and the stories behind them.

Hiya Fritz! Do you have any props/items/etc?

Talking with SergeiEsenin is fantasic, s/he has great knowledge and information on props, and also it is just nice to speak with someone that has the same passion. ;-)

I have been doing this for a LONG time - I think it takes way TOO much of my time, but you have to have a hobby.

Back