Prop eFX Collectibles - Darth Maul Lightsaber Legend - Signature Edition

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are everyone's thoughts on this? Is it worth getting? I'm not a fan of resin replicas, but the MR version is getting higher in the aftermarket.

You've answered your own question. The MR's are still going up in price whereas the eFX are still available in some stores. That'll give you an idea of the general feeling as to which one most people prefer.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Is it worth getting? I'm not a fan of resin replicas, but the MR version is getting higher in the aftermarket.

Well, are you asking which one people like, or which one will be worth more down the road?

I think the eFX is a lot cooler piece, being made from a mold of one of the screen-used saber props. Never was a fan of the sterilized, squeaky clean look of a lot of the MR sabers. Or the ugly printed text visible around the emitter.

Market price isn't everything. Look at the Obi-Wan weathered MR saber, for example. Sells for a whole lot, but it's not very accurate at all. You can get something a lot better looking for a lot less money. Can't judge how nice something is by how much it sells for. The MR saber came out in what, 2003? The eFX is only a few years old. Looking briefly a recent listings the MR doesn't sell for that much more, really, especially given its 10 year head start.

Well, are you asking which one people like, or which one will be worth more down the road?

I think the eFX is a lot cooler piece, being made from a mold of one of the screen-used saber props. Never was a fan of the sterilized, squeaky clean look of a lot of the MR sabers. Or the ugly printed text visible around the emitter.

Market price isn't everything. Look at the Obi-Wan weathered MR saber, for example. Sells for a whole lot, but it's not very accurate at all. You can get something a lot better looking for a lot less money. Can't judge how nice something is by how much it sells for. The MR saber came out in what, 2003? The eFX is only a few years old. Looking briefly a recent listings the MR doesn't sell for that much more, really, especially given its 10 year head start.

I'm not concerned with its value down the road. I've had a lot of master replicas pieces and have always liked metal replicas over resin.

My concern is that it won't be as durable , not that I'm trooping with it, but I've seen plenty of broken efx lightsabers on forums to be hesitant.

Also yes I had the Obi Wan ANH weathered replica which was, while not entirely accurate, a really great piece. Romans is the one to get for accuracy.

eFX Maul hands down. I have owned both and the eFX just feels right(as it should, given its provinence). You cannot tell it is resin even when you hold it. It is very heavy, because it has a thick metal rod going through it. It feels cold to the touch like metal too. I am a prop collector and an accuracy nut so to me there is no comparison.

eFX Maul hands down. I have owned both and the eFX just feels right(as it should, given its provinence). You cannot tell it is resin even when you hold it. It is very heavy, because it has a thick metal rod going through it. It feels cold to the touch like metal too. I am a prop collector and an accuracy nut so to me there is no comparison.

Thanks Jack! I'm just lenient to get any EFX stuff after having Master Replicas lightsabers. They, to me, are the best ever made. I don't care as much about accuracy as I do how it feels and looks. I don't mind a little "idealized" versions.

Right now I'm leaning to the EFX Maul saber simply for the price :D

Love mine..got it for $299 and found a display case made for it for like $75 at Rebel Scum forums.

Hey guys, I've just picked one of these up for 450GBP (UK), which according to Google is around $670US...

Am I crazy? I feel as though I may have paid a little over the odds. It is brand new and still factory sealed so it has that to it, but now I realize people were picking them up for $300 I feel robbed...

SHOULD I CANCEL?!

Strangely enough, the eFX Maul saber never really managed to reach a real sold out status and gain value, there are still a few brand new ones out there for sale every month, and yes, you paid more than what they usually go for. Not sure if you should cancel though, unless you either don't really want it, or have an immediate/easy option to get another for less.

I have kept mine unopened due to a lack of proper display area at the moment and thought for a long time that maybe I would end up selling it without ever opening the box, but it really seems like it will take forever until we see the prices go up significantly.
I am a huge fan of Maul though so I really don't mind keeping it, especially since I sold my MR version years ago.

Strangely enough, the eFX Maul saber never really managed to reach a real sold out status and gain value, there are still a few brand new ones out there for sale every month, and yes, you paid more than what they usually go for. Not sure if you should cancel though, unless you either don't really want it, or have an immediate/easy option to get another for less.

I have kept mine unopened due to a lack of proper display area at the moment and thought for a long time that maybe I would end up selling it without ever opening the box, but it really seems like it will take forever until we see the prices go up significantly.
I am a huge fan of Maul though so I really don't mind keeping it, especially since I sold my MR version years ago.

Update: Well I decided to go ahead and cancel. I have been waiting to take the plunge and delve into the high end prop/replicas game for a long long time, hopefully soon I'll find something that really grabs me. Don't get me wrong, I DO like the Maul Signature eFX, but like you say knowing there are many new out there along with the fact that I paid almost 2.5x what it was originally sold for (only 2 years ago) put me off a little. As well as the fact I'd have to then buy a display case for it for another 100 odd before I'd dare open it!

Thanks for your response!

Anyone got an opinion on whether or not this thing is worth $550 new right now? I got an opportunity to get one for that much from a LCS owner I know and I feel like I'll never get it any cheaper.

Right now that's a very good price for a new one, yes. I don't think you'll find it for less.

Prices have skyrocketed in the past few months.

Right now that's a very good price for a new one, yes. I don't think you'll find it for less.

Prices have skyrocketed in the past few months.

I ended up getting a new Artist Proof version. Don't tell my fiancee. She's going to walk into my office some day and see a lightsaber, 1/2 scale Maul bust, full scale maul bust, mythos maul, and PF Maul that was not there as of right now lol.

I ended up getting a new Artist Proof version. Don't tell my fiancee. She's going to walk into my office some day and see a lightsaber, 1/2 scale Maul bust, full scale maul bust, mythos maul, and PF Maul that was not there as of right now lol.

Man you're in trouble. :lol

No worries brother. PM me and we will do an exchange of hands.
I save your wedding and you both live happily ever after. :duff

Man you're in trouble. :lol

No worries brother. PM me and we will do an exchange of hands.
I save your wedding and you both live happily ever after. :duff

Only if I get to exchange the ring for a life size Han in carbonite first.

Awesome :lol

Congrats, that's gonna be one hell of a Maul collection.

So you're gonna keep the LSB after getting Phil's bust?

Awesome :lol

Congrats, that's gonna be one hell of a Maul collection.

So you're gonna keep the LSB after getting Phil's bust?

Yeah at least until this PF ships next year. I'm probably just going to do a besta with both the LSB and Mythos Maul in opposite corners and then maybe the EFX on a custom stand I ordered in front. They will be on a lower besta so the saber shouldn't obstruct much when looking down.

I might try and reunite myself with the battle damaged MR at some point so I can put that in a maul besta and then have the EFX in front of Phil's piece. Someone I've dealt with on eBay before was selling the BD saber but didn't have the original base.

And if anyone is wondering, no I am draining my 401k to acquire all of these things in a short period lol. I sold a bunch of hot toys over the summer and kept to money to switch to collecting props and statues which I prefer over figures.

Back