Red Ninja 12-inch Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Point taken IJ, and I can appreciate where the mentality comes from. The way I see it, these troopers and now Ninja, are "fillers" in between A-listers - that is to say, they are figures offered up while we wait for the next core character to come up rather than taking it's place in queue.

I kinda agree with Carl here. Having collected just about all the 12" lines (no Buffy), I can say there've been gaping holes in every single one of the canceled 12" lines. So while this filler is nice, and I'll definitely be buying, I can't help but wonder what key figure Sideshow released him in place of, when the inevitable "on hold" hammer drops.

I can think off teh top of may head of at least 20 characters that should be made

We all have our favorites from childhood but the clear icons that have endured as the "main" Joes are the handful that keep being featured prominently in new media and reference guides.

GI-Joe-Resolute-box-art.jpg

gijoe-vs-cobra-the-essential-guide.jpg

Duke, Snake Eyes, Scarlett, CC, SS, Destro, Baroness, and Zartan. I have no doubt that we'll see all of them in 12 inch form before the line is done. Everyone else is gravy.

I like this figure, different then other ninjas out there and unique enough to stand out on the shelf. I'll place my preorder next week.
Does anyone else get the feeling that Sideshow is releasing this figure in response to the Cotswold Crazy Owners Release?

But... Sideshow had to come up with R&D and new tooling to make that Chinese style hat (for a Japanese Ninja). So, obviously that accounts for about $30, right? :monkey1

Japanese wear conical style hats too, they're very common in Samurai movies.

What an excellent choice on Sideshow's part! This is a great surprise and I can not wait for the pre-order!

This is unexpected, but not that obscure and the red ninjas play a role in GI Joe canon; I think most people knew the red ninja was coming sooner or later. It would have made a perfect SDCC EX. I think it looks great and has a TON of potential, but whether or not I buy it will depend on the price. If this thing is $120+, it will be an easy pass.

Personally, I think it's a cool-looking figure (even if a Chinese hat on a Japanese clan Ninja is silly, it at least looks interesting). And I'll get at least one. But mostly because Ninjas are badass and I love them. But it's clearly an out-of-left-field WTF figure choice for the line at this point.

And you may think it's "ridonculous" for folks to have a Make XXX before the line ends stance. But, face it... Sideshow has never, in their history, had a robust 12" line that included all of the core/main characters from its license. Even the SW line (which has been around for 4-5 years) is likely a long time away from seeing figures for Chewbacca and the droids. Having a fear of the JOE line somehow ending before key characters are made is at least as sensible as a blind benefit of the doubt. Just look at the track record we're dealing with, the company's business model, and the pace of this line.

I understand the point you are making but I don't know that it is a fair comparison between military type figures that will all be on one of the Pro body types and be able to have some reuse of parts/weapons to droids/Chewbacca that are going to require extensive new bodies/tooling/R&D costs with little reusable part possibilities. Everyone will have different opinions on who all the "core" characters are and will be disappointed if one of their characters is never made.

I kinda agree with Carl here. Having collected just about all the 12" lines (no Buffy), I can say there've been gaping holes in every single one of the canceled 12" lines. So while this filler is nice, and I'll definitely be buying, I can't help but wonder what key figure Sideshow released him in place of, when the inevitable "on hold" hammer drops.

I honestly think SS will pump out a decent amount of Joes before all is said and done. Would I love it if SS could pump these out the way Seb does? Hells yeah!, but realistically it's not going to happen. I guess I just believe in the longitude of the brand, if not SS. I think there are enough of us to keep the line going for some time. Besides, although this guy is unexpected (as was the Sniper if memory serves and he turned out alright) SDCC is what, month and a half away? You know SS is saving the big guns for that so I'm not really worried about a getting this figure getting in the way of any core characters.

And for those concerned about the price, don't worry. I'm sure this guy will have it's gohasting turn soon enough :lol

Holy ____ that's awesome.

If it had multiple polearms, I would buy one for each of them. As it is, I'm in for atleast two, which will be the first time I bought more than one of any figure.

Good job Sideshow. :rock

Back