open the box?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you dont have space its understandable that you keep them in box,but if not,take the damn plastic out!!!:lol

Frankly I think that is where much of the MIB mentality comes from. People think back to the toys they had as kids. They think about how a toy that's now valuable got broken or thrown away or lost, and they wish they had kept it fresh in the box or on the card. I know I've entertained fantasies of going back in time and buying up a bunch of Star Wars toys fresh off the store shelves.

But how much fun do you think you would have had as a kid if you had kept all of your toys in the box or on the card? Not much, and you would never have those fond memories about them in the first place. And I don't think you're getting the most out of your 1/6th scale figures in the box either.

I beat the hell out of my Star Wars figs as a kid and had a blast doing it. I wouldn't trade those memories for what they are worth now MIP.

My vote goes to opening them, but I dont plan to sell them later on either. Maybe give some away as gifts, but not sell.

they're action figures.... toys.

Not piece of ancient art in a frame :duh

and to whomever said it... since when is customising... crazy? :huh

i am sure once i received the figures and see it in person, i wont be able to resist at not taking them out of the box.. hehehe..

It's better displaying them, than keeping em locked up in the boxes!! ;)

Defo get the figures displayed man!! :D

Bri:naughty

I bought that Mattel Movie Masters Joker when he came out. That thing is going for insane amounts on the bay....so you know what I did? I ripped open the box, and painted his face. Now he cant ever be worth anything. Good, he's mine, and no one will get him later.

i usually break it out and take care of my box and accessories. if you have a glass case the figure will be safe for a really long time.

i'm still new to the figure world my self, and i don't have much space for figures because i love polystone. when the time is right and i have my man room i'll take them out the box but for now they're staying in the box.

That's funny my girlfriend is always telling me that I will have a "man room" to display all my figures when we are married.

Open them up. If you want a MIB one you'll probably be able to find one later at an even lower price. It wouldn't surprise me if the total production run is well in excess of 10,000.

I think that the term 'collectible', when referring to articulated figures, is a fairly recent event. For a start, collectibles used to be ordinary items that became scarce and, after time, were recognized as a snap shot of the time they were made.

You can probably blame Mattel for making Barbies and calling the expensive ones the 'collectors edition'. Thus was born the current climate of 'producing' a collectible. Making an item limited and marketing it as a collectible before time could render it such, by having it used and making it through to modern times unscathed.

Taking it out of the box doesn't make it any less collectible, and if it is limited enough the box doesn't make much difference. e.g. Patient Zero. Unless you have something really rare, I don't think keeping it in the box is worth sacrificing the enjoyment of having a tactile connection with your toys.

yah what creecher said. i think it depends on why you bought the figure in the first place. did you buy it to turn a profit or to open and play? i have a friend who is maniacal about mint in box and he'd drive to four stores just because there's a fingerprint on the blister packaging. lol

That's funny my girlfriend is always telling me that I will have a "man room" to display all my figures when we are married.

Be a man..open the box..don't have to be in a "man room"

Open them up. If you want a MIB one you'll probably be able to find one later at an even lower price. It wouldn't surprise me if the total production run is well in excess of 10,000.

I think that the term 'collectible', when referring to articulated figures, is a fairly recent event. For a start, collectibles used to be ordinary items that became scarce and, after time, were recognized as a snap shot of the time they were made.

You can probably blame Mattel for making Barbies and calling the expensive ones the 'collectors edition'. Thus was born the current climate of 'producing' a collectible. Making an item limited and marketing it as a collectible before time could render it such, by having it used and making it through to modern times unscathed.

Taking it out of the box doesn't make it any less collectible, and if it is limited enough the box doesn't make much difference. e.g. Patient Zero. Unless you have something really rare, I don't think keeping it in the box is worth sacrificing the enjoyment of having a tactile connection with your toys.

yah what creecher said. i think it depends on why you bought the figure in the first place. did you buy it to turn a profit or to open and play? i have a friend who is maniacal about mint in box and he'd drive to four stores just because there's a fingerprint on the blister packaging. lol

you guys are right i don't need a man room to enjoy my figures, thanks guys!

:banana

A figure is a box is just that... a box. OPEN THEM.

Displaying them open also leads to much less clutter.

With the great new boxes there's no reason not to open a figure. You can put it back if you go to sell it with very little or no loss of value. Only SS still uses those stupid seals that would show something was opened. Release and smell. You'll be glad you did. I'm talking about the figures here!:lol

Things have changed with HT Boxes. They now seal the boxes with those little clear plastic SSC like disks. They also now twistie tie them like SSC too.

This is new for HT. They never used to seal their boxes.

Before that the HT figures were loose in the tray mostly and you could display them and rebox them for reselling. Not anymore...

So if you have ANY intention of reselling them you have to take that into consideration. Sealed box figures will always be worth more in the aftermarket. See "40 Year Old Virgin" for further clarification.

But, if you want these figures for your personal collection and plan to hold on to them for a long time, always better to display them. Get some pleasure out of them, they are ultra cool.

As long as you keep them in MInt In Box Condition, you can resell them at a later date for near full retail value.

Do boxes for 12'' figures even matter for value? I mean as long as they aren't beat to hell and back. It's different then a figure that's in a clamshell. I could understand that being in perfect condition.

They matter a TON for resale. HT Predators are a perfect example. Probably 25-35% less without the box. Don't understand it, but it's the way it is. So take care of those boxes when you release the figures!

Back