Jabba's Steps Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art stores have the white styrofoam, which I have used in the past, but I bought a manual for making warhammer miniature dioramas, and they recommended the pink polyfoam that you can get at the hardware store. It seems to have a smoother finish, and may be a bit more durable, but they only carry it in giant sheets and it seems like it is harder to cut. You can also use a hot wire cutter to cut foam pretty easily, or use a woodburning tool to etch in shapes and details. It smells awful, but it cuts through like a hot knife through butter.

Thanks!

I want the white. I think the pink is too smooth for what's supposed to be stone steps. I am going to try to pick some up today and get started on my steps!

I am going to be using the pink, but then spreading glue and sand down for the texture before painting. I even saw some spray paint that has a sand texture to it, but it seemed expensive.

Well I found a Michael's store close by so I ran over and picked up the stuff I need. I hope to get to work on them tonight, but I have dinner plans so it may have to wait until tomorrow.

KitFisto said:
Well I found a Michael's store close by so I ran over and picked up the stuff I need. I hope to get to work on them tonight, but I have dinner plans so it may have to wait until tomorrow.

Let me know what color paint you end up using as we have a ton of extra foam here at work.

Darth Loki said:
Let me know what color paint you end up using as we have a ton of extra foam here at work.

My steps are drying now. I used "bamboo" color acrylic paint. It seemed to be a pretty close match in the Michael's store. They look pretty darn good and were easy to make. The one thing I'd like to do and don't really know how is to add some "weathering" like the throne has. I even took a couple of small hunks out of the foam in a few spots so they didn't look "perfect".

Scum and villany is where its at. Forget that medicom stuff! Join the Sideshow side! However my Boba medicom is on order. :D

BadMoon said:
Kit any pics of your progress?

Not yet. I will try to take some tonight. The paint dried a little lighter than I thought it would, but I still like it. I still want to find some kind of transparent spray that can add a weathering effect.

Two pics. They dried lighter than I wanted so still adjustments to make as well as weathering. 1 with flash and 1 with no flash. I could only snap 2 shots as the batteries in my camera are toast.

I made my steps a little taller than the throne. I like them like that.

KitFisto said:
Two pics. They dried lighter than I wanted so still adjustments to make as well as weathering. 1 with flash and 1 with no flash. I could only snap 2 shots as the batteries in my camera are toast.

I made my steps a little taller than the throne. I like them like that.

Nicely done. I also made my steps slightly higher than the throne on the top; it does enhance the look.

Nice ! The bigger the better
Jabba likes it!

yabbahut2.gif

Thanks for the compliments. That's the first thing I have ever tried to make.

Jedibear - I had not thought of that because I don't know exactly what a pastel paint does. Does it add some color over the original color while still being able to see the original color through it?

Looks great Kit. I myself plan on trying to weather my steps. When I do I will provide pics. This was my first ever custom project as well. I think it is a good start.

Back