Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally caught a second viewing of this yesterday. What a fantastic movie from beginning to end. I can't imagine anyone ever topping this with a reboot.

I'm looking forward to The Avengers, but I'm more looking forward to owning CA:TFA on blu-ray.

An excellent scene-- A great use of the comic cover and it plays great with his later response to "Hey, do you know what you're doing?"

"Yeah. I've knocked out Adolph Hitler over 200 times."

That was a great scene! :yess: :rock

Finally caught a second viewing of this yesterday. What a fantastic movie from beginning to end. I can't imagine anyone ever topping this with a reboot.

I'm looking forward to The Avengers, but I'm more looking forward to owning CA:TFA on blu-ray.

I'm looking forward to the Cap Blu-ray also and I hope we get a steel-case in the shape of Cap's shield! :pray:

Yeah, after three viewings in the theater I'm waiting for the Blu-Ray to see it again. Movie was just really good from start to finish as was said with only one slight slow part for me. At least we got Thor's BR next month.

Yeah, after three viewings in the theater I'm waiting for the Blu-Ray to see it again. Movie was just really good from start to finish as was said with only one slight slow part for me. At least we got Thor's BR next month.

:yess::rock:rock!

thorc.gif

Some cool things that stuck out in the second viewing:

1. Multiple references to Cap going to the "future," such as when Cap asks Bucky where they're going prior to the trade show, and the Red Skull telling Cap about living in a future without flags. That made the ending a lot less jarring for me and felt pretty natural.

I also liked (both times) the contrast between Cap running down the street in New York twice, the first time being comfortable in his world but not his new body, with the second being the exact opposite.

I also liked how Times Square appeared to be green screen for the most part. Normally I'd be put off by that approach in a contemporary setting but it actually made 2011 New York feel like part of the same stylized world as 1942 New York by doing it that way. Pretty cool.

2. I also thought his "Nothin, I'm just a kid from Brooklyn," line played better the second time around. His one vice as a kid seemed to be his struggle to remain truthful about where he was from in his effort to enlist in the Army. As a hero he embellished nothing good about himself EXCEPT where he was from. Again, cool.

This movie may not be borderline Academy Award-worthy like The Dark Knight, but I can't think of another comic book film that better showcases true heroism and derring do like Captain America. Almost every other superhero needs their traumatic powers-inducing moment or some tragedy from their past to push them into heroism or self-sacrifice. Not Steve. He simply chooses it because its the right thing to do. Against the odds Johnston and Evans both understood that and delivered.

I ordered Thor and XM:FC on Blu-ray off of Amazon this morning! :yess:

Some cool things that stuck out in the second viewing:

1. Multiple references to Cap going to the "future," such as when Cap asks Bucky where they're going prior to the trade show, and the Red Skull telling Cap about living in a future without flags. That made the ending a lot less jarring for me and felt pretty natural.

I also liked (both times) the contrast between Cap running down the street in New York twice, the first time being comfortable in his world but not his new body, with the second being the exact opposite.

I also liked how Times Square appeared to be green screen for the most part. Normally I'd be put off by that approach in a contemporary setting but it actually made 2011 New York feel like part of the same stylized world as 1942 New York by doing it that way. Pretty cool.

2. I also thought his "Nothin, I'm just a kid from Brooklyn," line played better the second time around. His one vice as a kid seemed to be his struggle to remain truthful about where he was from in his effort to enlist in the Army. As a hero he embellished nothing good about himself EXCEPT where he was from. Again, cool.

This movie may not be borderline Academy Award-worthy like The Dark Knight, but I can't think of another comic book film that better showcases true heroism and derring do like Captain America. Almost every other superhero needs their traumatic powers-inducing moment or some tragedy from their past to push them into heroism or self-sacrifice. Not Steve. He simply chooses it because its the right thing to do. Against the odds Johnston and Evans both understood that and delivered.

:exactly: I completely agree. :rock

Saw it for the first time last weekend.

Definitely a solid movie. Evans was perfect as Cap. Howling Commandos were well done. Red Skull was a swing and a miss, with the montage of him pulling up to destroyed factories in his red skull-mobile scowling like a mustache-twirling villain being a particularly bad stand-out.

Still, it was the second best superhero movie this summer after First Class. Overall, I'm glad it ended the way it did and I will pick up the Blu-ray when it comes out.

Yeah, I did that I think before I left for comic-con. Was a good summer for comic movies at least for me it was I enjoyed all four of them.:yess:

Fook yeah it was! :rock :yess: :rock

started yesterday in germany! i liked it a lot!very good entertainment!loved the style and look of the movie:hi5:

Wow, you guys got a late start on Cap! Glad you enjoyed it, Krieg! :duff

Fook yeah it was! :rock :yess: :rock

Wow, you guys got a late start on Cap! Glad you enjoyed it, Krieg! :duff

yes,you are right,wondered why it took so long to get it into the cinemas?!:dunno some u.s. movies even started in germany before they did in america ,which is also strange.
but the long waiting was worth it,i was not dissapointed.i hoped it would be good,and it was!!:clap

yes,you are right,wondered why it took so long to get it into the cinemas?!:dunno some u.s. movies even started in germany before they did in america ,which is also strange.
but the long waiting was worth it,i was not dissapointed.i hoped it would be good,and it was!!:clap

In this day and age you would think that movie would start around the same time all across the world. :dunno

But, yeah, the wait was worth it! :rock :clap :rock

I wondered how well this movie would be received in Germany. That's awesome.

I think most Germans (and least some relatives I have) are happy any time they see Nazis taken down like any other country. The Nazis, of course, started with their own German people and made their lives miserable, before moving on to ruin countless lives.

you know,gladly we left this terrible time of nazi-regime behind us....about 65 years ago!:yess: my grandfather was a soldier on the german side during this war,and i am pretty sure he wasnt a nazi.
but i still think this time got something interesting possibilities for a movie,and its historically very interesting for myself.i like movies from that time period,or about this time period.especially because of the fashion,uniform designs and music of the 40's.and i have no trouble seeing nazis being kicked in the behind.and i still like the fact,that todays movies dont make them look like some stupid morons ,because these people had some very clever guys working for them(wernher von braun,anyone?)!
but ,nevertheless:
GO,CAPTAIN AMERICA!!!:yess::yess::yess::yess:

you know,gladly we left this terrible time of nazi-regime behind us....about 65 years ago!:yess: my grandfather was a soldier on the german side during this war,and i am pretty sure he wasnt a nazi.
but i still think this time got something interesting possibilities for a movie,and its historically very interesting for myself.i like movies from that time period,or about this time period.especially because of the fashion,uniform designs and music of the 40's.and i have no trouble seeing nazis being kicked in the behind.and i still like the fact,that todays movies dont make them look like some stupid morons ,because these people had some very clever guys working for them(wernher von braun,anyone?)!
but ,nevertheless:
GO,CAPTAIN AMERICA!!!:yess::yess::yess::yess:

I liked Defiance...saw it on Netflix. I am part German, wife is 100% and she had family over there who were Germans and still put into concentration camps, something you don't normally see in movies or tv.

I liked Defiance...saw it on Netflix. I am part German, wife is 100% and she had family over there who were Germans and still put into concentration camps, something you don't normally see in movies or tv.

watched that movie recently ,too.also liked it.and everyone who had a different view than the nazis came into kz's.what a downfall of humanity...
one more reason to say:
GO,CAPTAIN AMERICA!!!!

Back