1/6 C-3PO Custom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! Are these kits expensive?

They are out of production, so you would have to go the Ebay route, Just be careful, I believe they also produced a 1/4 scale Threepio as well. Also DO NOT by the recasts from overseas on Ebay, they are smaller, not too much detail and at times even smelly!:rotfl Stick to originals. These kits were made by Kaiyodo and Screamin.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas! Do you have any pics of that Iron Man with the Testor's Metalilzer + gloss applied? I'd like to see the whole effect.

2 suggestions to punch him up a bit...
For the arm connector tubes, you can replace the original pieces with brass, available at most good hobby shops. Get the smallest diameter tube you can find, and tubing that will telescope with it. I believe you'll be able to get pretty close on the size...
To shine him up a bit, hit him with Testor's Metalilzer brass, buff him up a bit and seal with a clear gloss. It will be about as close to a chrome finish as you can get with paint. I used this method on a Horizon Iron Man kit, and it worked pretty well...PS

Agreed! It looks like most of those recasts are resin too - so you'd have no chance getting it to fit over an articulated figure.

I think these kits retailed for somewhere around $50?? when they came out. You can get them for less than that on ebay, but they don't come up too often. However, there is a painted one that's been sitting there for awhile on BIN for $25 + shipping, but I don't think I'd want to deal with stripping the paint off.

They are out of production, so you would have to go the Ebay route, Just be careful, I believe they also produced a 1/4 scale Threepio as well. Also DO NOT by the recasts from overseas on Ebay, they are smaller, not too much detail and at times even smelly!:rotfl Stick to originals. These kits were made by Kaiyodo and Screamin.

As requested, here are a couple Pix of my Horizon IronMan, with Testor's Metalizer(brass) and a gloss over-spray...
DSCN0835.jpg
DSCN0836.jpg

As you can see, the effect isn't bad. Not exactly chrome, but definitely a polished metallic finish. One word of advice if you want to try this. The Metalizers are a very tricky pigment. DO NOT touch them with your bare skin, as they rub off with the greatest of ease. Spray it on, give it a few hoursto dry, the buff it up with a soft cloth like an old tee shirt, then seal with gloss coat...PS

Yeah, I'm here! Don't log in as much as I used to since they took off the members-only restriction on the customs forum. I'll try to get to your PM soon.

Yeah, I'm here! Don't log in as much as I used to since they took off the members-only restriction on the customs forum. I'll try to get to your PM soon.
cool stuff not 100% sure it was sent correctly as I've just signed up. I spent 3 days looking for this thread over on onesixthwarriors cuz I could'nt remember where I saw it originally ;P

Actually, if you don't mind, we can just have this conversation in the thread in case anyone else has ideas.

You asked about doing this same thing to make a 4LOM figure.

I've thought about this as well from time to time. I think the big trick will be figuring out what to do about the upper torso. I think the Hasbro version may just be too big to replace the C3PO chest from the kit. I'm also not sure what's inside that thing and whether it could be "wearable" by a 1/6 body underneath. I'm not sure I want to hack mine up yet to find out. Unfortunately, there aren't many other cheap alternatives.

Hey gang. I'm super impressed with this 3PO custom Chibi! F'n amazing. Did you ever find a thinner figure than GI Jane though? I use TTL's normally and remove their forearms and thighs. Then I replace them with thinner version that I cast. If you're putting armor over them it works to make a sleeker figure. However shaving the chest down can be kind of a b-tch. I'm only asking cause I'm thinking about tackling it and I'm pondering how posable it is.

no probs . yeah I know what you mean I only have the one of that HBro 4-lom. so I was thinking I may just try and remodel the torso from the 3po set. (if it will work ) so did you just hollow out the sections you needed for that 3po and slip them over a black under suit how did you prevent them from slipping or was it a tight fit ?

Actually, if you don't mind, we can just have this conversation in the thread in case anyone else has ideas.

I've thought about this as well from time to time. I think the big trick will be figuring out what to do about the upper torso. I think the Hasbro version may just be too big to replace the C3PO chest from the kit. I'm also not sure what's inside that thing and whether it could be "wearable" by a 1/6 body underneath. I'm not sure I want to hack mine up yet to find out. Unfortunately, there aren't many other cheap alternatives.

no prob. weird I thought I had replied to this anyhu . I was thinking of resculpting the 3po torso over a hack job on the hasbro one as its not to different . how did you do the arm and leg plates on yours so they wouldn't slip ?

I wasn't really on the look out for other possible bodies.

I think the most important part is getting the right sized waist and legs on the donor figure. If the hips are too wide, it either won't fit in the hip armor, or that armor will pinch the legs toward each other. But you can't go too thin or then you get the opposite problem - the legs are forced apart. The upper legs (thighs) themselves should also be relatively thin.

2nd time around (the silver one), I discovered there's quite a bit of flexibility on what you do with the donor figure and the upper torso. If I remember correctly, the top of the figure's chest is missing on this one. It's just the loose arms being held in place by the shoulder armor. Then the entire assembled upper body just slides over what is left of the lower torso. So theoretically, the arms and legs/waist could come from different figures.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have much of a problem with pieces slipping unless the donor body is really thin!

For the arms - first, I recommend you leave the upper arm piece attached to the shoulder. I did this on the silver 3PO. This retains the full range of shoulder motion that the model kit naturally has. The hand will keep the lower arm piece from sliding off. The only trick will be keeping the hand in place. On the GI Jane body I just carved down her hand until it was a snug fit for the 3PO hand to slide over. If you're using a donor body with swappable hands with pegs then you may have a different sort of challenge.

On the legs - the bottom leg piece should keep the top one from slipping off; it pretty much rests directly on top of it, there shouldn't be much of a gap in between. The lower leg piece gets pretty tight towards the foot, so I think you're fine just forcing the donor leg as deep as it will go into the lower 3PO leg, probably without its foot.

BtW, tycondrius, you mentioned "hollowing" the model. It should already be hollow. If you have one that isn't, it may be a resin recast (I'm guessing - never actually had one). And that would be more trouble than its worth.

cheers for the infor on that . how did you solve the issue with the leg and arm plates from slipping off once you hollowed them ?

As requested, here are a couple Pix of my Horizon IronMan, with Testor's Metalizer(brass) and a gloss over-spray...
DSCN0835.jpg
DSCN0836.jpg

As you can see, the effect isn't bad. Not exactly chrome, but definitely a polished metallic finish. One word of advice if you want to try this. The Metalizers are a very tricky pigment. DO NOT touch them with your bare skin, as they rub off with the greatest of ease. Spray it on, give it a few hoursto dry, the buff it up with a soft cloth like an old tee shirt, then seal with gloss coat...PS

Interesting. I wonder if this would work on the Mark V...

Back