1/6 C-3PO Custom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one more photo showing the height compared to other figs:
c3po51.JPG

Fantastic job!! Definitely more to scale than the Hasbro one.

Well, I'd like to know if it's worth getting, what it looks like (is it basically the same as the 1/6 version?), and if there's anything I need to keep in mind when assembling and painting it. Also, how much did you pay for it?

They sell some spray paints that are supposed to give things a chrome look, and I was wondering if that could be used in combination with some paint or stain to get closer to the movie look.

Yes, you can get a pretty good range of movement out of the arms. The elbows and wrists can do everything they should. The shoulders are pretty limited though - they can rock forward & back, up & down just a little.

I only attached the "connector tubes" at one end so they wouldn't restrict the movement of the arms. That's why you'll notice a small space between them and the upper arms.

very nice!!...can move his arm alittle?... i curious how the "connectors tubes" that is located at the inner arms will behave

I wondered myself if there was a clear spray gloss that might be applied over the gold I used to give it a more reflective look? I always use a brush on gloss for human eyes, but that won't work at this scale. But I thought the basic concept might translate.

If anyone finds a spray gold that does a true reflective "chrome", let me know! I had hoped the one I picked out might work, but not quite.

They sell some spray paints that are supposed to give things a chrome look, and I was wondering if that could be used in combination with some paint or stain to get closer to the movie look.

It might help a bit to use a gloss, but it would probably just make it look wet, and not reflective in the way you would want. I've seen some people do chrome work on the NECA 1/4 scale Endoskeleton that looked really good, so I may have to look into how they did that. I don't know if they make gold chrome spray, or if it would be necessary to use the silver as a base and then somehow use paint to make it look gold.

Well, I'd like to know if it's worth getting, what it looks like (is it basically the same as the 1/6 version?), and if there's anything I need to keep in mind when assembling and painting it. Also, how much did you pay for it?

the 1/6 model is much better for accuracy. All the Screamin' 1/6 figures are actually from a company called Kaiyodo from japan. The 1/4 figures were all new sculpts with severe degrees of innacuarcy. I have them all. accept for a couple I got here recently, I got them back in the 90's when they were first relased. The problem with the Threepio is that he isn't boxxy like he's a droid. He has more flow to the body if you take my meaning. His biggest flaw is his neck. when I got the figure, I looked it over and over and couldn't figure out what wasn't right. Then it hit me. His neck. They gave the figure this 1/2 inch long neck. I trimmed it down and stuck the stub in the color and it made a helluva difference. I also bent one of the arms. One of them is almost straight.

After wondefest(where I got a Tusken raider in a bag for $20 finally finishing my collection) I got the urge to finish all my Screamin 1/4 kits. The toughest thing about assembling him is lining up the split in the waist. I've gotten the body done. Just have to paint all the wires and paint the lower left leg silver

Yes, you can get a pretty good range of movement out of the arms. The elbows and wrists can do everything they should. The shoulders are pretty limited though - they can rock forward & back, up & down just a little.

I only attached the "connector tubes" at one end so they wouldn't restrict the movement of the arms. That's why you'll notice a small space between them and the upper arms.

ah! got it...thanks... hehe..

i love how the three of them goes together!.. i want one too!

the 1/6 model is much better for accuracy. All the Screamin' 1/6 figures are actually from a company called Kaiyodo from japan. The 1/4 figures were all new sculpts with severe degrees of innacuarcy. I have them all. accept for a couple I got here recently, I got them back in the 90's when they were first relased. The problem with the Threepio is that he isn't boxxy like he's a droid. He has more flow to the body if you take my meaning. His biggest flaw is his neck. when I got the figure, I looked it over and over and couldn't figure out what wasn't right. Then it hit me. His neck. They gave the figure this 1/2 inch long neck. I trimmed it down and stuck the stub in the color and it made a helluva difference. I also bent one of the arms. One of them is almost straight.

After wondefest(where I got a Tusken raider in a bag for $20 finally finishing my collection) I got the urge to finish all my Screamin 1/4 kits. The toughest thing about assembling him is lining up the split in the waist. I've gotten the body done. Just have to paint all the wires and paint the lower left leg silver

Post pictures when you're done, if possible.

Bumping my old C-3PO thread since I put together another articulated 3PO unit last week. Went with silver this time and grimed him up a bit more. Much easier to make the second time around, though I did change the recipe up a bit. I left the model kit's natural shoulder articulation in this time so he can raise his arms better, though they can't swing out to the sides now. The eyes aren't painted in yet because I'm toying with the idea of adding a lightup mechanism underneath. We'll see what happens...

silver_3PO_5.JPG

silver_3PO_3.JPG

silver_3PO_8.JPG

2 suggestions to punch him up a bit...
For the arm connector tubes, you can replace the original pieces with brass, available at most good hobby shops. Get the smallest diameter tube you can find, and tubing that will telescope with it. I believe you'll be able to get pretty close on the size...
To shine him up a bit, hit him with Testor's Metalilzer brass, buff him up a bit and seal with a clear gloss. It will be about as close to a chrome finish as you can get with paint. I used this method on a Horizon Iron Man kit, and it worked pretty well...PS

Back