Custom 1/6th X-Wing pilot, need some help..

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chakaman

Super Freak
Reaction score
I am in the process of doing a kit bashed 1/6th X-Wing pilot. I used the Hasbro orange flight suit, Commander Praji gloves and Rebel Fleet Trooper boots. I have also redone the vest so it fits more screen accurate. I am not done with it, still need to sew the sides and back of it and give it a tea bath. I also plan on doing some paint work to the box on his chest.

Here is a picture of what I have done so far.

xwing_pilot.JPG

The question I have for my fellow freaks is what type of helmet shoul I use?? Would the Tomy mini-helmets work or am I going to have to scratch build one?? Has anyone done one these before?? I saw Hurricane's helmet in another thread and it looked pretty good. I understand that he scratch built that one.

Just looking for some advice, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

The Tomy mini helmet will be too small, unless you want to use it as a display piece on the side. I used one with a Cy Girl Rebel pilot, and you really have to cram the head in there. The CG head is also much smaller, has no sculpted hair, and uses soft vinyl so that the head is flexible. The Praji head has none of those advantages.

Basically, forget about the Tomy helmet if you want something that will actually fit over the character's head.

Love it, looks grand so far. I have one of the Tomy Helmets, its great but u will have to butcher a spare head if u want it to fit...

Dorgmal

looks good chakaman, im going to do the same thing with my Yavin Luke. Donor parts from hasbro:
-flight suit, helmet
-luke bespin boots repainted
-gloves??? Im not sure still looking around.

Love it, looks grand so far. I have one of the Tomy Helmets, its great but u will have to butcher a spare head if u want it to fit...

Dorgmal

Thanks guys. That is what I was thinking of doing. I am having a helluva time finding those Tomy helmets. Anyone have any ideas where I can score one??

Thanks,
Chris

Yeah, the Hasbro helmet is too big plus it has a slot in the middle where you can raise the visor. I thought about re-building it, but it wont work I do not think.

It would be nice if Sideshow would give us a pilot or two.

Thanks guys. That is what I was thinking of doing. I am having a helluva time finding those Tomy helmets. Anyone have any ideas where I can score one??

Thanks,
Chris

Yeh they seem to be getting hard to find. I got mine off a fellow freak and there does not seem to be any on the bay at the mo. i

I am off to Brighton later this week and there are a couple of shops I will have a look in for u. I am also after a Tomy tie helmet.

Dorgmal

Don't know if this helps or not but I did the same thing your are doing. I just used a Hasbro helmet. It's not perfect I know but it ain't tooooo bad. I snapped off the "visor lever" and covered up the slot and painted it so the visor no longer goes up and down and added the chin strap and guard too. It'll too till sideshow does one.

Thanks for all the ideas and info guys.

I think I found a e-tailer that has them. They are backordered for a week or so, I can wait. I picked up 3 of them being that they are really tough to track down.

Chris

Hemble your figures are as always totally awesome. I just love em. Have you got an online gallery to show your figures off? You must have so many custom figures.
If you want I will knock you up a quick site. If you want, your tuff is so good everybody should see it.

Dorgmal

Dorgmal - Thanks mate I really appreciate the kind words especially from someone with exceptional skills, I do have an Indy Gallery on here but have'nt added another gallery as of yet.
Thanks for offering to do one for me, and I'm actually getting my collection back up slowly as alot of my work was commission work or stuff I sold to buy other stuff.

Ron

Well, I am back to square one. The e-tailer that had the helmets for sale told me they are no longer available. I may just have to customize the Hasbro helmet and do a repaint.

I had no idea these Tomy helmets were so hard to find.

Chris

Re: Custom 1/6th X-Wing pilot, UPDATE

Here is a little update. I was able to track down a Tomy mini-helmet. After some cutting of the back of the head, I was able to get the helmet to fit over a Dragon WW2 head. Here are some pictures..

XWING1.JPG

XWING2.JPG

XWING3.JPG

I plan on repainting the helmet so it isnt Luke's, but wanted to see what it looked like first. I thnk it looks pretty good, much better than the Hasbro version. The big problem I am going to have is finding a couple more helmets.

Chris

The helmet looks sweet and looks good from the front of the figure. Looking at your first picture it looks kind of funny from the side like the neck is about to fall off..but I could be just me..

Back