Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A sword that has a magic green flame wrapped around it?
The point was that even though Nemesis’s swords weren’t copies of lightsabers they still weren’t unique looking. There are other examples that predate RB that aren’t green like those in Scott Pilgrim and Game Of Thrones:

748B2BA0-DF9F-4EF4-860E-5FA2A27E893D.gif

1ACFBA5C-731F-40F2-9EDE-7689578B7BDE.jpeg

What’s sad is that from what I’ve read Snyder did create a fairly elaborate backstory for Nemesis that explains her use of the swords and their significance in her culture, he just neglected to put any of that on the &#%*! screen for the audience. :slap

Here’s a review that isn’t just out to trash the film, but is more open to what it does genuinely have to offer. Interestingly these are not fans of Snyder’s superhero films. They love Sucker Punch presumably because they unpacked all the allusions about genre that are jam-packed into the film. (I have yet to watch their review of that movie but I definitely will.) Their watch reactions are intelligent, amusing, and fun. The review per se starts at 24:52:

This take sort of gets close to why I’m a Snyder fan. I would rather watch an artist like him swing for the fences in films like Sucker Punch and this one—even if they fail to connect with the mainstream audience—than watch the standard popular type of genre film. I‘ll watch Rebel Moon all day long over almost any MCU or Star Wars film.

Even if the film is a trainwreck when viewed according to mainstream tastes, I’d rather watch that.

For example, BvS, by virtue of being a bold and completely unexpected deconstruction, got me interested again in superhero mythology again when I thought that interest was something I had packed away forever with my childhood. I didn‘t even watch Nolan’s trilogy when it came out because I had no interest in the subject matter at the time.* Anyway, what Snyder did with BvS is the sort of thing that interests me most as a film viewer. Much more than standard films churned out by Hollywood that are to my mind very much like comfort food. I do eat comfort food like most everyone else. But I’m more thrilled by food when it challenges me a bit and I acquire a new taste.

I guess that probably makes me a pretentious viewer. No apologies there, though, it is what it is.

* When I finally got around to it I wasn’t very impressed by it. I didn’t care much about what I was watching. Which is a “me problem,” not a failing of the films from any objective standpoint. And they were obviously a huge success critically, culturally, and financially. It was neat to see Batman finally more grounded than what Burton and Schumacher did. But the more purely mythological enchanted feeling I got from the character from comics as a kid just wasn’t there for me. In contrast, with BvS Snyder managed to render that magical/epic/mythic/majestic vibe I felt as a kid into an adult form and infuse it into a deconstruction, which blew me away.

Last edited:
The point was that even though Nemesis’s swords weren’t copies of lightsabers they still weren’t unique looking. There are other examples that predate RB that aren’t green like those in Scott Pilgrim and Game Of Thrones:

View attachment 683254

View attachment 683255

What’s sad is that from what I’ve read Snyder did create a fairly elaborate backstory for Nemesis that explains her use of the swords and their significance in her culture, he just neglected to put any of that on the &#%*! screen for the audience. :slap
Both of those are swords where blades are engulfed with flames. Not metal that gets so hot it glows.

That might be revealed in the extended version or part 2.

Nemesis’s swords, when glowing, are made of molten metal. If I understand the lore I’ve read correctly she belongs to an assassin’s guild. The members of that guild voluntarily consent to have their forearms amputated and replaced with cybernetic prosthetics that can generate this unique form of molten metal, i.e., it is engineered so that it maintains its basic form even when in motion. It looks like she also uses a mundane set of katanas as well. Unless maybe those katanas can change back and forth between ordinary steel and their molten state? But anyway, the cybernetic forearms are what generate the molten metal swords.

The explanation will probably be shared in Part 2. I think before the all-out battle to protect Veldt each member of the team will share his or her backstory. Via flashback narration, which will surely upset many that want it through “show don’t tell.” Even though flashback narration is a technique used in many of the most critically acclaimed films of all time. Only if Zack uses it is it hackery. 🙄 (Is hackery a word?)

Nemesis’s swords, when glowing, are made of molten metal. If I understand the lore I’ve read correctly she belongs to an assassin’s guild. The members of that guild voluntarily consent to have their forearms amputated and replaced with cybernetic prosthetics that can generate this unique form of molten metal, i.e., it is engineered so that it maintains its basic form even when in motion. It looks like she also uses a mundane set of katanas as well. Unless maybe those katanas can change back and forth between ordinary steel and their molten state? But anyway, the cybernetic forearms are what generate the molten metal swords.
Yes I read that explanation as well, although based on what we saw on film the katana seemingly are just made of a special metal that maintains it shape when superheated and the prosthetics both generate the heat and protect her from it (ZS may have used the term molten metal but that's technically a misnomer, as that literally means heated to its liquid form). When she fought the spider chick they originally weren't heated up (she even dropped them at one point but then got them back), but it's not like she had a 2nd set on hand. When she eventually lit them up they were the same swords.

One thing about that fight that struck me as odd was that early on I distinctly recall Snyder made a point of showing the spider chick piercing/damaging one of what we now know was one of Nemesis's gauntlets. Despite that happening she was still able to heat up both of her katana. Makes one think that he was initially going to have her fight with one "hot" and one "cold" katana during the 2nd phase of the duel but then changed his mind.

Yes I read that explanation as well, although based on what we saw on film the katana seemingly are just made of a special metal that maintains it shape when superheated and the prosthetics both generate the heat and protect her from it (ZS may have used the term molten metal but that's technically a misnomer, as that literally means heated to its liquid form). When she fought the spider chick they originally weren't heated up (she even dropped them at one point but then got them back), but it's not like she had a 2nd set on hand. When she eventually lit them up they were the same swords.

One thing about that fight that struck me as odd was that early on I distinctly recall Snyder made a point of showing the spider chick piercing/damaging one of what we now know was one of Nemesis's gauntlets. Despite that happening she was still able to heat up both of her katana. Makes one think that he was initially going to have her fight with one "hot" and one "cold" katana during the 2nd phase of the duel but then changed his mind.
I'd have to watch it again to be sure but could it of been more about her being pinned by the spider thing and then being cybernetic rather than them getting damaged?

I did think they were going to get too damaged when I was watching.

Last edited:
I'd have to watch it again to be sure but could it of been more about her being pinned by the spider thing and then being cybernetic rather than them getting damaged?

I did think they were going to get too damaged when I was watching.

It definitely looked like it was pierced (complete with an electrical short/discharge of some kind) rather than just pinned and when she lopped off the end of the spider's leg it didn't immediately fall away, but the cut away to the next shot was extremely fast and then it was gone when they cut back to Nemesis standing again so it's hard to say for sure either way. Not a big deal I just thought we'd see the effect of that "short" come into play. Of course when I watched the movie initially I didn't know she had her forearms & hands amputated and replaced with cybernetic prosthetics - I just assumed she was wearing some high tech gauntlets that somehow interfaced with the katana. Maybe the prosthetic automatically rerouted things to its backup power supply lol.

It definitely looked like it was pierced (complete with an electrical short/discharge of some kind) rather than just pinned and when she lopped off the end of the spider's leg it didn't immediately fall away, but the cut away to the next shot was extremely fast and then it was gone when they cut back to Nemesis standing again so it's hard to say for sure either way. Not a big deal I just thought we'd see the effect of that "short" come into play. Of course when I watched the movie initially I didn't know she had her forearms & hands amputated and replaced with cybernetic prosthetics - I just assumed she was wearing some high tech gauntlets that somehow interfaced with the katana. Maybe the prosthetic automatically rerouted things to its backup power supply lol.
That's pretty much how it played for me.
Us T800's can reroute for alternate power so maybe she can too lol

Back