Your latest DVD or Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought Max Payne on Blu for $9!!! Great deal...I actually loved this movie despite the haters. I didn't know there was a spoiler scene after the credits.

I had to bring my modem upstairs to wire it up to update and download disk information. I still have to figure out a wireless bridge or something so I can keep it online for when I load new disks. It is also like the PS3 in that if it is connected to a network it will notify you that there is new firmware available.

Yes, it is hooked up through HDMI to my receiver. It bitstreams the True HD/DTS-HD audio to my receiver which does the decoding so that is different than my old PS3. I can't tell any real difference in sound between that and LPCM from the PS3. The video might just seem a little better since it is a new toy.

I haven't timed the disk change but it seems to change disks in about 45 seconds to a minute. That is to unload the current disk in the drive, relocate that in the changer, find the new disk in the changer, load it into the drive and boot the movie to the menu. It kind of depends on the disk it is booting up.

Ok, so that should mean that your lights on your receiver should light up with the corresponding audio codec being transmitted to the receiver where the PS3 doesn't (but my Toshiba HD-DVD player does).

How good is the rental slot ?

Also, what were the major differences between this and the next level up one... I saw one on Amazon that was close to $1800...

This is not bad at $580 shipped. If I can I may bite.

One more question guys, I see Amazon has two-disc versions of both Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind...

Any ideas what I am losing by not getting their relative box sets ?

The rental slot is just what the first numbered slot on the changer is reserved for. It is reserved for quick one button access to that slot so it still requires the front door to open and then just slide the disk into the slot.

I posted the differences between the two models a few pages back but here it is.

The more expensive one is more for dedicated home theaters with some extra video processing features, 7.1 analog outputs and allows hooking up to third party control systems.

The rental slot is just what the first numbered slot on the changer is reserved for. It is reserved for quick one button access to that slot so it still requires the front door to open and then just slide the disk into the slot.

I posted the differences between the two models a few pages back but here it is.

The more expensive one is more for dedicated home theaters with some extra video processing features, 7.1 analog outputs and allows hooking up to third party control systems.

Well I have a dedicated Home Theater and I am using a front projection system.

With HDMI I am not worried about 7.1 analog. I don't use a control system.

Is the PQ the same ? I saw something about 14 bit video processing?:confused:

I don't think there would be a $1,000+ difference in picture quality that you would be missing out on.

Cool thanks.

I have it on my watch list on Amazon. I think $580 is fair for a shipped piece of this nature.

If I can iron out my wireless issues for downstairs I will give it more serious thought.

Well I have a dedicated Home Theater and I am using a front projection system.

With HDMI I am not worried about 7.1 analog. I don't use a control system.

Is the PQ the same ? I saw something about 14 bit video processing?:confused:

The higher end model was just reviewed in the latest Sound and Vision mag. The 14 bit processing is called "super bit mapping", and supposedly greatly improves the transitioning from light to dark areas, resulting in less banding.

What's pj are you using JJJ?

Bought today:
101_0215.jpg

101_0213.jpg

Here's a video comparison in case anyone else is thinking about getting BSG on Blu Ray:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWFtYgVq0lc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWFtYgVq0lc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Here's a video comparison in case anyone else is thinking about getting BSG on Blu Ray:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWFtYgVq0lc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWFtYgVq0lc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I got this about 2 month ago it's an awesome set thats for sure congrats man.

Yeah I didn't even know about the UK version until I read a review and a link to the discount at Amazon UK. Worth it IMO...even if you only buy it to save $$

The higher end model was just reviewed in the latest Sound and Vision mag. The 14 bit processing is called "super bit mapping", and supposedly greatly improves the transitioning from light to dark areas, resulting in less banding.

What's pj are you using JJJ?

Interesting. Not sure if I should worry about that.

Oh I am still using my Panny AE700...

Looks and works great. As it is a dedicated HT, the hours are real low on the still original lamp.

I just could not warrant the upgrade until now as I am projecting on 120" screen and feel the upgrade would be warranted if the price is right.

So after CES I will pursue my upgrade. Perfect timing IMHO.

For those interested in the Sony 400 disk changers, here is a thread on avsforum about both changers:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1171332

Perfect ! Thanks bro. I was looking to find the AVS thread too.

Just ordered the UK Battlestar Galactica set. Its cheaper, has better packaging, and IMO looks much better than the U.S. set.
5ewx8z.jpg

I have to agree, that does look much better. Oh well.

When you say looks much better, are you referring to the picture quality?

No I'm just speaking about the actual packaging of the set. I read a couple reviews and the picture quality and audio is the same across the board as they have the same specs.

~~The preference of the box is subjective, but IMO the box for the U.S. is just a messy, impractical cube. If you watch the comparison video I posted you'll see what I mean. The video shows the author opening the box and pulling the discs out and states that someone will eventually scratch some discs from the inner box they are stored in.

Back