Your latest DVD or Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is a gazillion pages long, so forgive me if it's been discussed ad nauseum, but I was curious......are any of you yet feeling that
physical DVDs and BluRays and the like are no longer the 'must buy' they once were? I used to be a DVD/BluRay junkie myself, as the 100s of
them in my woman cave can attest to, but I don't know....in the past few years I've barely bought any. I've ALWAYS, always been a sucker for a slick looking
package, no matter WHAT it is....a cool wine label on otherwise crappy wine, the box art on my latest Hot Toy, and of course, the subject at hand.

But...well I used to buy movies I was CERTAIN I was gonna watch at least a dozen times...favorites, or better yet, ones I felt I HAD to have in glimmering BluRay,
because this blockbuster or that would ALWAYS need to be seen in optimal HD when I felt like watching it. I think I've just....lost that. The advent of Redbox, Hulu, Netflix, HD OnDemand, and even the occasional movie torrent that pops up have pretty much killed my necessity for a library. They feel like the clothes I should be donating..."If you haven't worn it in over a year, it's time you got rid of it", you know? I'm sad that I almost NEVER go in my movie cabinets anymore. :(

I use no digital or streaming. I will always use physical mediums till they take them all away, which I doubt they will. Hell, vinyl is back big time, which is shocking to me. If I'm going to pay for something like this, I want to hold it in my hand.

I use no digital or streaming. I will always use physical mediums till they take them all away, which I doubt they will. Hell, vinyl is back big time, which is shocking to me. If I'm going to pay for something like this, I want to hold it in my hand.

What Ween said :lecture

I think i'm the only person left in my family who's "old fashioned". No digital movies, no digital music, no digital books, none of that.

If I'm going to pay for something like this, I want to hold it in my hand.

Wait, what? :panic:

I am definitely buying less movies than I have in the past because I see so many movies in my collection that have only been watched once. I’ve also sold movies on eBay that were still sealed. :slap

I am also more of a physical media person. The only thing I do digitally for the convenience is e-books on my Kindle.

In my home theater we use physical discs, blu rays, 100% of the time. Top notch video and audio formats are the biggest sell, among all the other well discussed (and endlessly debated) benefits of physical media. :horse

I too have slowed way down on buying movies however. The biggest reason for me is the current rereleases coming on UHD. I don't have a 4K projector, but I will at some point, so I don't want to have to rebuy movies if I don't have too (i.e. ET is currently offered on blu in a new steelbook, and on UHD in standard packaging). I mean there will always be a newer tech on the horizon, but I've been collecting and watching blu rays for 10 years. That's long enough for me to justify what I've spent on my collection. I new releases come in LE packaging it needs to come with UHD and 3d discs if available for me to buy it. I have no hard rules I live by though. :monkey3

Yup, I’ve slowed down on buying films as well. When I traded in/sold my DVD, there were so many unopened DVDs.

In my home theater we use physical discs, blu rays, 100% of the time. Top notch video and audio formats are the biggest sell, among all the other well discussed (and endlessly debated) benefits of physical media. :horse

I too have slowed way down on buying movies however. The biggest reason for me is the current rereleases coming on UHD. I don't have a 4K projector, but I will at some point, so I don't want to have to rebuy movies if I don't have too (i.e. ET is currently offered on blu in a new steelbook, and on UHD in standard packaging). I mean there will always be a newer tech on the horizon, but I've been collecting and watching blu rays for 10 years. That's long enough for me to justify what I've spent on my collection. I new releases come in LE packaging it needs to come with UHD and 3d discs if available for me to buy it. I have no hard rules I live by though. :monkey3
No 4k here yet either.
But this Black Friday, if there are any 65" or larger screens that are dirt cheap I may finally make the jump.

Buy what you love, forget the rest. That's what I started doing.

After my first purge I was so happy that when I look at my collection, I sometimes have a hard time deciding what to watch because I love them all.

Then I just put in Star Wars. :dunno

Starship Troopers 20th Anniversary steel book.

And not sure if I should be admitting this...

Transformers: The Last Knight 4K steel book.

What can I say? I am a steel book whore/slut/promiscuous individual. :dunno :monkey3

:horror

:lol

(I was going to use the emoji of the monkey with the banana in it's mouth in my previous posts, but then I thought better due to the potential connotations of it...)

:horror

:lol

(I was going to use the emoji of the monkey with the banana in it's mouth in my previous posts, but then I thought better due to the potential connotations of it...)

I would say you chose wisely no using the monkey. I bought Transformers also so don't feel too bad. Your not alone in picking a bad movie

I bought the Transformers Steelbook too. I haven't seen the movie and I'm pretty sure it sucks, but ... yeah .....
I mean, I have the other four, so .....
OK, I've got nothing.
Oh, wait! My son likes them! That's it ... I got it for him! Phew.

I haven’t seen it either. But like you, I have the other four in steel already, so why not complete the collection?

Also, I learned a long time ago it’s easier to buy something you’re 50/50 on and return it later or sell it later than to want something that sold out and track it down on the secondary market.

Back