You should be ashamed SS!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darth Loki said:
Based on what I've heard, I have no idea how this peson's costume is difficult. It should be one of the easiest costumes in the whole line. And you know who I'm talking about Josh.

You would think so. However, I swear sometimes the easiest things tend to be a real pain in the ass. :lol

I don't know who you chaps are talking about (well, maybe I do ;) ) but in all honesty the character I have heard is coming - will not only be a curtain call for one of SS's sculptors but will most certainly be a very elaborate costume.

:monkey3

LOTRFan said:
I don't know who you chaps are talking about (well, maybe I do ;) ) but in all honesty the character I have heard is coming - will not only be a curtain call for one of SS's sculptors but will most certainly be a very elaborate costume.

:monkey3

Yeah, if they go with that then it's a bit more work and explains even more why the length is what it is.

Seretur said:

Wrong guess. But would you like to go for Double Jeopardy where the scores can really change? (sorry, a little Die Hard humor for ya)

jlcmsu said:
Yeah, if they go with that then it's a bit more work and explains even more why the length is what it is.

But apparently there is now a third?! So our two male characters are likely correct, the female choice is all but a given to I would think.

:cool:

Darth Loki said:
Wrong guess. But would you like to go for Double Jeopardy where the scores can really change? (sorry, a little Die Hard humor for ya)

:lol :lol :lol

LOTRFan said:
But apparently there is now a third?! So our two male characters are likely correct, the female choice is all but a given to I would think.

:cool:

I would think so as well. However, after this long we could all be wrong. :rotfl

DarthLoki - no I was not kidding you. I was simply saying that because of choopies attendance at ORC and hearing some actual news from SS people, we now have some fairly reliable information and should show some patience. I can understand how you are frustrated , we all are- but a lot of this comes from working yourself up from wild speculation that never pans out. Its a bit of that old adage that when you point the finger of blame at others you actually have three pointing right back at you. Listening to others make wild predictions that never come to pass probably does not help as well. If San Diego comes and goes without any announcement, then I will join you in righteous indignation. But in the meantime relax my friend.

I would love it to see no usual thread rant for the next few weeks. Speculating on what we someday will get is more fun :D

gideon said:
Thanks to choopie for that news right from the horses mouth. Patience is a virtue and perhaps we should show some. And perhaps we can stop - or at least slow down these weekly exercises in futility which only seem to incite more anger. Now that we have some information lets turn our attention to something other than trying to predict the future and getting indignant when it does not happen to our liking.

NASA could build a land rover from scratch, launch it, and have it up and running on Mars, in less time than the 17-18 month's between PF announcement's...and you're telling us we should show some patience? :confused:

If SS doesn't have sculptors skilled enough to get a face right, then they should pay good money to someone who can. If they don't have the people in place who know how to put a costume together, then they should hire someone who does. I may not know all the intricasies that go into putting together a PF figure, but I know it isn't rocket science.

Unfortunately for SS, they have really painted themselves into a corner over this situation. After an 18 month wait they had better hit one out of the park with their next announcement. I don't think many of the LOTR collectors who have been so patient for so long will tolerate anything short of spectacular. I think a "turkey " at this point would probably kill the line for good.

If one of the new ones is Gandalf the Grey, they don't even need to do a head sculpt. Just saw the one off the NECA 18" figure and mold that up!

Steve

(Yes, it is that good!)

woodsy said:
Unfortunately for SS, they have really painted themselves into a corner over this situation. After an 18 month wait they had better hit one out of the park with their next announcement. I don't think many of the LOTR collectors who have been so patient for so long will tolerate anything short of spectacular. I think a "turkey " at this point would probably kill the line for good.

I don't think you could be any more right about this, there are bound to be quite a number of collectors who will retort to SS's next offering (whenever it is from now) with: "it took you that long to produce this?" I don't see honestly how that can be avoided. Take the GG busts for an example, the least praised at this point seems to be Elrond, yet there was minimal flak given because he was hot on the heels of so many announcements previous. The next PF has a lot to live up to - probably an impossible amount.

And to follow up (sorry for the double post), the sad thing is; we can almost predict the threads now:

1) Announcement

2) Gripe and Praise threads

3) For those griping a repremand that they at least got something

4) A possible shot in the arm thread, generating excitement

5) The long wait until the next one ...

What did I forget? :confused:

Once again, here also I want to note that I never understand the LS bust in LOTR line as well.

we have currently:

LS Sauron , ES 550 and priced 379.9 $
LS Cave Troll, ES 750 and priced 299 $
LS Morgul Lord, ES 800 and priced 259.99 $

I really would be so happy if SS spent its effort on LOTR PF pieces instead of the same busts that were previously released by SSW or other companies like UC.

woodsy ... just saying that all this speculation now is rendered moot by the news that came out of the ORC convention in California. Now - with that info from SS people - we can show a little patience. I sympathize with all of you.... but now we have some information. Lets see what happens in San Diego. Nothing then - then we can scream about it.

I'd love to see that with the 1/6 line, kind of like they did with the Endor Soldiers, only make it both Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White. Double the pleasure, double the fun! Then throw in Saruman for good measure and give us all the wizards at once!

Ok ok, I'm dreaming again.........

NASEDO said:
Remember during the Weta days when the announced a bunch statues at a time.
I sure do. Those were the days (both good -- for my craving -- and bad -- for my budget). But in fairness to Sideshow, I'm speculating that those sculpts were already probably pretty much done by the Weta artists and all they had to do was duplicate and market? And since Weta was directly involved (and had already done the collaboration with New Line for the art design for the movies), the approval phase of each piece was probably a lot easier and much faster -- and maybe even non-existant.

Going back to LOTRFan's post: "And to follow up (sorry for the double post), the sad thing is; we can almost predict the threads now:
1) Announcement
4) A possible shot in the arm thread, generating excitement"

Unfortunately, past experience has shown that this is a likely scenario. In fact, I am thinking that, after Sideshow finally announces the next piece(s), they'll be in a situation of damned-if-they-do/damned-if-they-don't. I can't see how they're gonna win unless they put out something that will absolutely please everyone....which isn't going to happen even if it was gold-plated, gem-encrusted, and had a limited edition of 750 for $150.

I'll admit to being a fangurl, but I am a rational one. So I can't help thinking that this dearth of ANY information from the SS folks on these pieces' status indicates issues NOT of Sideshow's making, but in the approval process -- which they may not have complete control over. They may even be a gag rule in effect. As frustrated as I am, I'd like to still give them the benefit of doubt.

I kind of feel bad now, seeing how hard it is to go without any new stuff. I complained about how long Faramir was in coming, from the incessant clues to the weeks of waiting to the long production--I thought I was being cheated. Now that I look back on it I was (am) luckier than anybody else hear. I've been drinking up the news about Faramir for months, while most people never get to enjoy it this much. A beautiful 1/6 Faramir has been my collecting dream, and I've been able to relish the whole process--from the hinted sculpt to the multiple sneak peaks--I'm a lucky guy. I feel so bad for PF collectors, and LOTR collectors in general. I'm sorry Sideshow, I won't complain about Faramir as much now. We're lucky to have had him so soon.

I'm really pretty lucky--now we could get another clue like we did with Faramir!

Wetanut said:
I sure do. Those were the days (both good -- for my craving -- and bad -- for my budget). But in fairness to Sideshow, I'm speculating that those sculpts were already probably pretty much done by the Weta artists and all they had to do was duplicate and market? And since Weta was directly involved (and had already done the collaboration with New Line for the art design for the movies), the approval phase of each piece was probably a lot easier and much faster -- and maybe even non-existant.

Going back to LOTRFan's post: "And to follow up (sorry for the double post), the sad thing is; we can almost predict the threads now:
1) Announcement
4) A possible shot in the arm thread, generating excitement"

Unfortunately, past experience has shown that this is a likely scenario. In fact, I am thinking that, after Sideshow finally announces the next piece(s), they'll be in a situation of damned-if-they-do/damned-if-they-don't. I can't see how they're gonna win unless they put out something that will absolutely please everyone....which isn't going to happen even if it was gold-plated, gem-encrusted, and had a limited edition of 750 for $150.

I'll admit to being a fangurl, but I am a rational one. So I can't help thinking that this dearth of ANY information from the SS folks on these pieces' status indicates issues NOT of Sideshow's making, but in the approval process -- which they may not have complete control over. They may even be a gag rule in effect. As frustrated as I am, I'd like to still give them the benefit of doubt.

Perfectly said Rumi. :balrog

Good discussion here, yes.

It was just so much easier, collecting LOTR back in '03 or '04. The movies had come out, Weta has done their collectibles (some might have begun life as maquettes, which is what you're suggesting, Rumi, but others, like medallions or wall plaques, were definitely conceived as fine art pieces), and, most importantly, there was an ABUNDANCE of them. We knew that there were two companies intimately involved in making the ultimate LOTR collectible product for us, and we thankfully played along.

All we want is assurance that our love for LOTR (either the Jackson movies, or the Tolkien books, or both, or both but qualified, as in my case) goes answered. I have tremendous respect for the artists from Weta who designed the films, and for the artists from Sideshow who made these designs available to us -- all I want is for the current license holder, which is Sideshow, to make themselves proud by offering us the collectibles their artistry can achieve.

Surely that's not too much to ask.

Back