Yodacappy's Projects - Currently: Curio And Yoda's Hut UPDATE 6/17!!! Post #115

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yodacappy

Super Freak
Reaction score
So, my "dollies" (as Mark would say...lol) needed a home and quite a while ago, I got the bright idea to build a curio. A friend of mine has the skills and I've got some sweat equity and ideas. Basically, been taking it a Sunday at a time and we are getting closer to being finished.

Here's some details: 91 3/4" high, 48" wide, 20" deep. Will have 3/8" glass shelves that will be etched with Star Wars emblems. Door will be a sliding picture frame style door.

Today, we basically cut the grooves in the back for shelf support and also crafted a few wooden supports for the back.

Here's a picture of the front view (with 12" battle droid in bottom for scale":

Curio_front.jpg

Jabba's Throne and Han in Carbonite will be in the bottom :)

Last edited:
Re: Project #1 - Sideshow Curio

A view from the side:

Curio_side.jpg

Did I mention it will be lighted from the top?

Last edited:

Curio_molding.jpg

Finally a close-up of the custom crown molding we did. Can't wait to see this finished!

That is a beautiful piece of carpentry, Yodacappy. Your collection of ‘dollies’ is going to look marvellous in there. Looking forward to seeing the etched glass.

That is a beautiful piece of carpentry, Yodacappy. Your collection of ‘dollies’ is going to look marvellous in there. Looking forward to seeing the etched glass.

Thanks! It's been a long process but very much worth it. Next weekend we'll start on the door. :)

I have no idea what a Curio is but it looks friggin big and chuffin coo!
A perfect home for your dollies..... humm wonder if the Mrs will let me build one?.....

hummm, I think I have more chance of the Pope, or solving world peace or breathing underwater!!!

Yoda , when you get close to done, I would love to know how much $$ you have invested in this. Materials and how many hours you spent on it. It will be interesting to see how much you saved versus just buying one.

The work you guys have done so far looks excellent. Can't wait to see the final product.

Yoda , when you get close to done, I would love to know how much $$ you have invested in this. Materials and how many hours you spent on it. It will be interesting to see how much you saved versus just buying one.

The work you guys have done so far looks excellent. Can't wait to see the final product.

Biggest problem was that I couldn't find one that was the size I wanted with the sliding door (and it wouldn't have the etched shelves either but that could have been done after the fact). I could generally find the right width and depth but not the height that wanted. It's been more time consuming than costly but worth it as I've learned a lot. The other issue was that one this size wouldn't really fit in the house in one piece so this one is collapsable and can be taken apart for moving. :)

I have no idea what a Curio is but it looks friggin big and chuffin coo!
A perfect home for your dollies..... humm wonder if the Mrs will let me build one?.....

hummm, I think I have more chance of the Pope, or solving world peace or breathing underwater!!!

A curio is nothing but a fancy word for a display case. She might would go for it since it's furniture!

No picture can do justice to the size of this thing. Put it this way, in a room with a wall 8 feet high and 10 feet wide, this thing would take up almost half the width of the wall and almost touch the ceiling! :)

Lol nah the only way I could build something that HUGE, is if I got hurried in in... With all my dollies.... Now there is an idea

Did some more work today. Started on the door and hope to finish that part in the next work session. After that, it's a matter of finishing and getting the glass. :)

Worked some more on this beast of a curio. Nothing really picture worthy but what we worked on was getting the door bearings into the picture frame door. We should have that figured out and have some progress in the next session.

Last edited:

This seems like an interesting and fun project. Will watch closely :)

This seems like an interesting and fun project. Will watch closely :)

It has been very interesting but one more out of necessity for storage and display reasons LOL. Once we get the door done then it's just a matter of finishing, staining, etc. and it'll be done. :yess:

It has been very interesting but one more out of necessity for storage and display reasons LOL. Once we get the door done then it's just a matter of finishing, staining, etc. and it'll be done. :yess:

I know, I had to get some curios and cabinets for my collection as well, but everything to be done before moving to the new house.

Very nice! Great craftsmanship. :hi5:Oh the days of having my workshop. :( I miss it.

Very nice! Great craftsmanship. :hi5:Oh the days of having my workshop. :( I miss it.

I'd love to take credit for it (not to mention have the ability to do so!) but my friend is the extremely talented part of the project. I chip in with some labor and ideas. :)

Looking really nice so far. I can't wait to see how you finish yours w/ etched glass.

My sliding glass curio/ display measures at 61 1/2" L x 20" W x 74" H. I thought mine was big.

91 3/4" high.......that's massive :eek

Looking really nice so far. I can't wait to see how you finish yours w/ etched glass.

My sliding glass curio/ display measures at 61 1/2" L x 20" W x 74" H. I thought mine was big.

91 3/4" high.......that's massive :eek

Yeah, we are actually building it so that it can be taken apart when I move (whenever that might happen) and will have to actually assemble it in the room because the hallway isn't wide enough to maneuver it!

Back