XM Studios Comic Thor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The official XM region distributors sell their allotment at XM suggested retail price or lower. Problem is only 3-4 actually ever put any up. Most have theirs sold through in house early preordering loyalty programs and never have any for the general public on po day. The official XM European seller if much higher. The US retailers rely on a dealer to get any XM pieces since XM doesn't have a license to sell outside their region. It's now known you can make money off XM statues so more people are getting in the game just to make a dollar. You also have more collectors wanting XM pieces. It's the perfect flipping storm. Just because Secret Compass is charging $1500 it doesn't mean they are making all that profit. The dealer knows he can charge a big markup and if SC doesn't like it he can sell it themself. It's only going to get worse.

Nice post...you make some great points.

Honestly I don't have a problem with it...IMHO it comes down to whether you believe in capitalism or not. I refuse to be one of those people who only supports capitalism when they are able to purchase merchandise at their desired price point. But when the price point is higher than they are willing and/or able to pay...all the sudden there is an issue. I support a person's (or retailer's) right to sell their property (in a legal transaction between consenting parties) at whatever price they feel is appropriate.

At the end of the day, let's not forget we have the power to vote with our wallets...that is the beauty of the free market system. No one is putting a gun to our heads and forcing us to pay $1,500 for Thor statue. But if one person elects to spend their hard earned $1,500 on Thor...then evidently $1,500 was the correct price. It just may not be the price you want pay personally...and that's ok.

That's actually a very intelligent argument and the validity in it is well spoken.

Honestly I don't have a problem with it...IMHO it comes down to whether you believe in capitalism or not. I refuse to be one of those people who only supports capitalism when they are able to purchase merchandise at their desired price point. But when the price point is higher than they are willing and/or able to pay...all the sudden there is an issue. I support a person's (or retailer's) right to sell their property (in a legal transaction between consenting parties) at whatever price they feel is appropriate.

At the end of the day, let's not forget we have the power to vote with our wallets...that is the beauty of the free market system. No one is putting a gun to our heads and forcing us to pay $1,500 for Thor statue. But if one person elects to spend their hard earned $1,500 on Thor...then evidently $1,500 was the correct price. It just may not be the price you want pay personally...and that's ok.

I get Dan's points. That makes sense and is really sad. I thought there were a lot more official stores supporting them than that though?

Tray I get what you are saying but to sell items in an official store at an exorbitant price just because they can is not okay. If it is the after market, then I get that. I do not expect XM to release the price for a product one day and then when the PO times comes up and go 'Oh just because we know we can get more we have decided to charge $1000 more. Happy Preording!!' that is not good business practice.

What Dan says makes sense. I will never support any business charging ridiculous prices when their official retail price is nothing like it. As I said, I'm not referring to after market prices. All this does is mean that the rich can buy whatever they feel like, while everyone else just stares at these statues without a hope in the world of ever getting them. I believe that this will eventually create a more negative impact on XM then it will help them out. This will only force most people to eventually ignore them and look elsewhere. Love their products, but you need to have a chance of getting them to care.

Yup... a simple Supply and Demand. I shall pass. This hobby is getting too pricey too quick hahaha

It is ok actually. XM isn't for everyone. Anyone who is selling their products will do just fine

I think the ceiling will be reached and a lot of NA customers will start to lose interest in trying to acquire future XM pieces, simply due to how difficult they've become to source.

I get Dan's points. That makes sense and is really sad. I thought there were a lot more official stores supporting them than that though?

Tray I get what you are saying but to sell items in an official store at an exorbitant price just because they can is not okay. If it is the after market, then I get that. I do not expect XM to release the price for a product one day and then when the PO times comes up and go 'Oh just because we know we can get more we have decided to charge $1000 more. Happy Preording!!' that is not good business practice.

What Dan says makes sense. I will never support any business charging ridiculous prices when their official retail price is nothing like it. As I said, I'm not referring to after market prices. All this does is mean that the rich can buy whatever they feel like, while everyone else just stares at these statues without a hope in the world of ever getting them. I believe that this will eventually create a more negative impact on XM then it will help them out. This will only force most people to eventually ignore them and look elsewhere. Love their products, but you need to have a chance of getting them to care.

I understand you frustration...I really do. However, I am not sure it's fair to blame XM for the prices charged by retailers. Once the product leaves XM's factory...distributors, retailers, and end users are free to charge whatever they want. In some instances, manufacturers do have the ability / leverage to control retail prices. One of my hobbies is photography, so I have a ton of Nikon equipment. Nikon has sufficient leverage that they can mandate a "manufacturer's suggested price" and any retailer that sells products for higher than the suggested price risks not being able to purchase additional Nikon products in the future. However, the only reason Nikon has that type of clout is because they are a multi-billion dollar conglomerate. XM is not a multi-billion dollar company, XM is a small start up company that lacks the clout held by a Nikon, Sony or Apple. XM has no real leverage at this point...they need distributors and they need retailers purchasing their product if they want to be a permanent player in the collectibles industry.

Also let's not forget, one of the main reasons XM products are so expensive is the fact their license with Marvel does not allow them to distribute directly to the states. That's not XM's fault...Marvel placed that restriction in the licensing agreement. Obviously this restricts the supply of product to collectors outside of XM's sales territory which in turn leads to increased demand and higher prices.

At the end of the day...we have a free market system in place based on supply and demand. If you like when the free market allows you to score a highly desired collectible at a "steal" or "great price", if you like it when the free market allows you to sell your own property for a maximum price, then you have to accept the fact that occasionally the free market does not work in your favor. There are going to be instances where rabid demand is going to lead to price points that may exceed your personal disposable income. Like it not, there will always be individuals that have more resources than others. As you mentioned, the "rich" are in a position to buy whatever they want while others need to be more selective in regards to what they buy. Is it fair?? It doesn't matter...it's simply the way it is.

I understand you frustration...I really do. However, I am not sure it's fair to blame XM for the prices charged by retailers. Once the product leaves XM's factory...distributors, retailers, and end users are free to charge whatever they want. In some instances, manufacturers do have the ability / leverage to control retail prices. One of my hobbies is photography, so I have a ton of Nikon equipment. Nikon has sufficient leverage that they can mandate a "manufacturer's suggested price" and any retailer that sells products for higher than the suggested price risks not being able to purchase additional Nikon products in the future. However, the only reason Nikon has that type of clout is because they are a multi-billion dollar conglomerate. XM is not a multi-billion dollar company, XM is a small start up company that lacks the clout held by a Nikon, Sony or Apple. XM has no real leverage at this point...they need distributors and they need retailers purchasing their product if they want to be a permanent player in the collectibles industry.

Also let's not forget, one of the main reasons XM products are so expensive is the fact their license with Marvel does not allow them to distribute directly to the states. That's not XM's fault...Marvel placed that restriction in the licensing agreement. Obviously this restricts the supply of product to collectors outside of XM's sales territory which in turn leads to increased demand and higher prices.

At the end of the day...we have a free market system in place based on supply and demand. If you like when the free market allows you to score a highly desired collectible at a "steal" or "great price", if you like it when the free market allows you to sell your own property for a maximum price, then you have to accept the fact that occasionally the free market does not work in your favor. There are going to be instances where rabid demand is going to lead to price points that may exceed your personal disposable income. Like it not, there will always be individuals that have more resources than others. As you mentioned, the "rich" are in a position to buy whatever they want while others need to be more selective in regards to what they buy. Is it fair?? It doesn't matter...it's simply the way it is.

I agree with everything you say. However, one important fact is missing. Price (especially in the aftermarket) is directly correlated to supply and demand. XM has chosen to limit the supply of its products. There wouldn't be such a feeding frenzy or markup in the aftermarket if there were higher edition sizes being released by XM. As collectors, most of us want lower edition sizes on the merch we collect. However, XM has basically created a perfect storm with AWESOME products that are limited in supply. On top of all that, numerous potential customers are locked out because of licensing restrictions.

I'm not advocating XM increase their edition sizes. It's actually a breath of fresh air that a company is willing to leave profits on the table to make sure that its QC is outstanding and their merch is actually considered a collectible. That is rare in this day and age. However, given XM's business strategy and regional license, peeps outside XM's sales territory will need to come to grips with the fact that securing XM merch is going to be very difficult and frustrating. That is not going to change until XM has a global license. Even then, with such low edition sizes, XM's merch will sell out lightning fast...but at least this way, everyone will have a shot at ordering XM merch. As it stands, anyone outside of XM's territory is at a BIG disadvantage. Also, let's not forget, XM doesn't need to change a thing. They don't need customers outside their territory to sell out merch. They are doing just fine without us.

By the time you get done with shipping your looking at $1800, Looks like I'm going to have to pass on Thor :( As good as XM statues are that's way more then what I like to spend on 1:4 statues... Unforntantly with ST policies and some of the other authorized retailers not returning emails it's getting really tough to nail one down... Maybe someone who ordered two will want to trade for a Thanos or Wolverine :)

By the time you get done with shipping your looking at $1800, Looks like I'm going to have to pass on Thor :( As good as XM statues are that's way more then what I like to spend on 1:4 statues... Unforntantly with ST policies and some of the other authorized retailers not returning emails it's getting really tough to nail one down... Maybe someone who ordered two will want to trade for a Thanos or Wolverine :)

I was going to get 2 so i could trade for a Wolverine as well. :gah:

I agree with everything you say. However, one important fact is missing. Price (especially in the aftermarket) is directly correlated to supply and demand. XM has chosen to limit the supply of its products. There wouldn't be such a feeding frenzy or markup in the aftermarket if there were higher edition sizes being released by XM. As collectors, most of us want lower edition sizes on the merch we collect. However, XM has basically created a perfect storm with AWESOME products that are limited in supply. On top of all that, numerous potential customers are locked out because of licensing restrictions.

I'm not advocating XM increase their edition sizes. It's actually a breath of fresh air that a company is willing to leave profits on the table to make sure that its QC is outstanding and their merch is actually considered a collectible. That is rare in this day and age. However, given XM's business strategy and regional license, peeps outside XM's sales territory will need to come to grips with the fact that securing XM merch is going to be very difficult and frustrating. That is not going to change until XM has a global license. Even then, with such low edition sizes, XM's merch will sell out lightning fast...but at least this way, everyone will have a shot at ordering XM merch. As it stands, anyone outside of XM's territory is at a BIG disadvantage. Also, let's not forget, XM doesn't need to change a thing. They don't need customers outside their territory to sell out merch. They are doing just fine without us.

Well said...:goodpost: :clap

The-Rock-Clapping-Reaction-Gif.gif

Nothing more to say! :hi5:

Damn, might have to trade my Kirby Hulk PF to get one of these, even missed out on the Secret Compass order, though I was seriously considering it.

Back