XM Studios Blackbolt

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's not talk heresy here. He's buffed, but in the right way. He's not the anatomical nightmare that would be a "Liefeldedisation" :D
He IS buffed, and more than Captain America. Details change with the artist (of course), but just consider how big is Gladiator and see the comparison between the two in the second pic:

703058-blackbolt_by_philip_tan.jpg

700077-black_bolt_vs-_gladiator.jpg

BLACK-BOLT_MEDUSA_GUARDIANS-OF-THE-GALAXY_.jpg

957997-gladiator_1.jpg

Secret_Invasion_War_of_Kings_Vol_1_1a.jpg

Inhumans1.jpg

inhumans_war_of_kings_by_nebezial.jpg

(this last one is not official btw)

Yea, I agree with Mule. The musculature on the sculpt is just right. That's how I remember Black Bolt in the comics ...and the pics Mule posted shows a sample of that.

True. I'm not sure what it is exactly I'm not feeling. I think I just need to see the paint mock up to get excited.

True. I'm not sure what it is exactly I'm not feeling. I think I just need to see the paint mock up to get excited.

He's been portrayed in many different styles during the years, often with a thinner and leaner build, but the any recent take of him is more or less like the ones I posted. I suppose this is due to him becoming more of a frontman now that Marvel has planned their movie line and the Inhumans are probably going to become the new X Men, since Marvel doesn't hold the X Men movie license.
The thing that may look "off" is the base. In the artwork there was the head of Vulcan statue on the floor, bigger. Now it's something similar to a generic Kree soldier. :)

I appreciate the informed opinions. I'm just going off my vague understanding of the character. So, if the buffness feels right to the guru's - then fine by me. If they think he's too buff, then also fine by me. I'm just going by me eye. One thing I know for sure is a work in progress is just that - it will change. Also, color/shading changes how things look and adds depth to those lats. I'm not throwing in the towel on the piece - I'm kind of in love with it lol. I'm glad people are weighing in though - I appreciate the dialog and sample pics for comparison!

Anyone have an opinion on the one leg up pose? Again, just complete character clueless and wondering why? Could just be artist interpretation or a signature physical movement. Again just curious. :)

Yeah maybe it's the one leg that's throwing me. I think that's it. It's angelic, which is not how I think of blackbolt. I'll likely still end up getting this one as I'm sure with paint it will be amazing.

The statue would benefit from doing two things that statue does... Having the raised foot less bent and blackbolt looking down.

The statue would benefit from doing two things that statue does... Having the raised foot less bent and blackbolt looking down.

The only thing about making BB look down is it means the statue will need to be displayed above eye level. This is already a problem with Juggernaut charging head down. Not sure if we want the same problem with BB.

The only thing about making BB look down is it means the statue will need to be displayed above eye level. This is already a problem with Juggernaut charging head down. Not sure if we want the same problem with BB.

Juggernaut 's pose is perfect if one assumes that he is breaking something.

Should have been Vulcan (that's in the comic cover and in the original concept art) but I asked on Facebook and XM told me it is a generic sculpture. Don't remember if they said it was Kree or atlantean tho, something along that line.

I can't wait to add this. I don't get it, how is XM so good at their designs. It's like they actually read comics or something. They seem to understand the characters.

Back