X-Men vs Sentinel #1, #2, #3 review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worstgamerever

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys

So this review is based mostly on the #1 diorama, but I've also included a lot of detail about the other two, as personally I think that #1 looks much, much better displayed with #2 and #3 and considering #2 and #3 are so much cheaper as of writing, I'd easily recommend that you get all 3. It'll be really nice if other owners can join in and add any comments about this awesome dio set! but here's my review below, as earlier promised.

Journey to #1:

I first saw the X-Men vs Sentinel #1 diorama a couple or so years ago. I thought how nice it was at the time, but honestly, didn't think too much of it on the single pic I saw. The truth is that some pieces can't really be done justice in a single pic; perhaps in a gallery of pictures, yes, but I don't think any one pic can really emphasize how stunning the #1 dio truly is.

Anyway I passed at the time, and if memory serves it was only about $400.

About 6 months ago, I started agressively acquiring SideShow pieces. I would come on here, listen in to various opinions, go over to SideShow and see the galley of pics and if possible also try to see the piece in person, before I buy. Every now and then someone would mention the X-Men vs Sentinel #1 dio as a "grail". So I decided to find out more about this piece, and after heading to the product page on SideShow's website, I was pretty blown away by the kind of positive feedback left for the piece there... I don't think any other [Marvel] piece got the same type of feedback. That's when I realised I wanted this piece, and every additional pic I saw [especially the stunning ones from SquiderM3] made me want this diorama even more....

I got a couple PMs from board members and not surprisingly, no one was willing to sell at anything less than around $1200 for the EX and $850 for the regular; this mind you is cheap, considering how much an EX sold for on eBay recently. I had a lot of other things to sort at the time so I held out until last month, when I found the piece at a right price, and decided it was time to strike...

At the same time, I got the #2 and #3 dioramas for an 8th and a 5th of the price respectively... I couldnt display them as I had an exam at the time, but with that out the way I finally had them displayed over the weekend.

X-Men vs Sentinel #1
============

Colossus.

#1 is the main attraction of this diorama series, and the star of this diorama, is Colossus. His pose, the look on his face, the balance of his spread legs, the power in his clenched fist, and the balance of the sentinel head atop his elbow/forearm, is just unbelievable. I think he's about 1/5th scale (he's certainly larger than 1/6th, unless we factor in Colossus being over 7ft when transformed).

It's hard to give a sculpt a 10, and even though some people have say his knees (and in some way his pose) look a bit akward, I've got no problem at all with the pose after looking at it from various angles. On a side note, his face sculpt is the best I've seen on any statue on this scale. A 9.5 it is then...

The paint job here is impeccable, and the dull-grey metal of Colossus works better than any of the chrome variants I've ever seen. Then you've got that ferocious look on his face, and the dull yellow of his costume -- a far cry from Wolverine's bright yellow outfit -- but perhaps even better in it's own way. Folks, I've gotta tell ya, SideShow knocked this one out the ballpark. One aim of a diorama is to be picture-perfect at depicting a scene... this diorama does this, and does it in style. Another 9.5..

DSCF0987.jpg

DSCF0988.jpg

DSCF0989.jpg

DSCF1030.jpg

DSCF1034.jpg

DSCF1054.jpg

Cyclops:

Cyclops is very well done. I like the fact that they used this costume variant, the navy blue and gold (especially the bands) really make this one of the best Cyclops statues out there... this is my personal favourite in fact and before now I always wondered if I'll see a Cyclops statue that didn't show Scott in his traditional X-Men attire. Does anyone know what storyline this costume came from?

The balance in the pose is also very nice, and a closer look will show you something else: It actually seems like Scott is in pain from using his optic blasts; perhaps it was intentional -- kinda like wolverine when he extracts his claws -- or perhaps the emotion on his face is meant to be one of anger, rather than pain, but there's definitely more than a hint of agony on Cyclops face, as opposed to Colossus who only shows pure rage!

I'll give this an 8

DSCF0998.jpg

DSCF1031.jpg

The Sentinel Head:

Huge! Matter of fact, if snapped from an birds-eye view (see below), Colossus feet -- as wide apart as they are spread -- are barely visible. The level of detail in the Sentinel head really underscores the fact that SideShow wanted to make this the definitive X-Men dio. The demage to his head, and the parts sticking out from his neck, as well as the skin-tone and the look in his eyes are all dead-on. The light-up feature will really make this piece look extra-creepy but for me it wasn't a must-have feature...

DSCF1055.jpg

Another 8.

The Sentinel Hand:

Arguably the least visible (and least mentioned) piece of this diorama, the sentinel hand is the most "metallic-looking" piece in the #2 diorama and it wouldnt surprise me at all if it were made of metal. Again it shows a lot of damage taken from the fight and the amber-like material used for the circular center is really well done, just like everything else here. This is actually one of the more under-rated pieces of the #1 diorama in my opinion, and gets another 9.5.

DSCF1042.jpg

Last edited:
The #2 diorama is an OK piece. I wouldn’t display it on it’s own as like Hunk’s yellow lion, its not really that distinct on it’s own but combined with the other pieces, then it shines.

Emma Frost:

The floating pose of Ms Frost is nicely done and the balance of her outstretched fingers is too. For me though the cloak is perhaps the best part of Emma Frost. It’s almost “alive” – almost because Bowen’s Dr Strange and [especially] Moon Knight do a much better job at bringing a cape to “life” – and I would have given this piece a 5.5 without the cape/cloak.
The pain job on Emma is also worth mentioning: it has a glossy tinge on her body-suit and gloves, but not on her cape... it seems the cape uses a slightly different non-glossy paint app (someone please correct me if I’m wrong).
So why does it seem like I’m sitting on the fence with this piece?
Well the face.. it’s off. It doesn’t look like that much any Emma Frost I’ve known (although to be fair neither does the SideShow Comiquette, although even that does a far better job). This emma frost looks old, tired and worn... kinda like the Emma Frost in the ongoing Old Man Logan Wolverine arc.. but obviously that was the look that SideShow intended.
Putting in bluntly, Emma’s face is a bit of a disappointed, but thankfully, a diorama is more than just the sum of it’s parts...

DSCF1047.jpg

DSCF1057.jpg

DSCF1052.jpg

DSCF1049.jpg

Beast
Well the less I say about this piece the better. I’d never criticize an artist’s work because I know the immense about of work these guys put into their pieces to impress us. Having said that though, I feel that a lot more effort could have been put into Beast. The pose is nice but isn’t nearly as inspiring as colossus’s or as graceful as Emma’s. His face doesn’t show any form of emotion: you could say he’s expressionless, which hardly fits the disposition of someone just out of a battle with a sentinel. Perhaps it’s just difficult to sculpt fur in a truly convincing manner, but beast just has so much that could, potentially, be improved that I’ll have to score him a mere 7. And that’s a generous score out of 10, considering colossus got a 9.5.

Which is no to say it’s all bad news for Hank... the moist-looking lower lip, his curved feet and the mid-air pose do give him a distinct animalistic feel.. Even more so than wolverine. Also, the gold paint job on his pants and the trimmings on his arm bands are both very well done.

DSCF1050.jpg

DSCF1051.jpg

The rest of the piece:
Does someone know what part of the sentinel the base of the #2 dio is meant to be? It’s very well detailed, especially the metal interior, but for the life of me I don’t know what the base itself is meant to represent! The light-up feature of the EX does little to add to this piece in my opinion. If you had to get an EX, then save up and buy the #1 EX instead...

The #3 diorama is great, and the EX actually has double the number of individual pieces in #2 (Wolverine, Wolverine in street clothes, Lockheed, and Kitty).

Wolverine:

I love the original costume variant... the street-clothes variant just doesn’t do it for me; I think if Wolverine’s dog tags (in his street clothes) were an actually accessory rather than being sculpted, it would have made it quite a bit better, but that’s neither here nor there as the original costume is so nice! Also with the original costume you get both sets of claws extracted: on the street clothes variant costume, the hand holding the base doesn’t have extracted claws.
Both wolverine statues come as part of a large chunk of the sentinel that fits into the huge leg/boot.
9.0 – For the EX feature; 8.5 for the Regular.

DSCF1011.jpg

DSCF1016.jpg

DSCF1021.jpg

DSCF0991.jpg

DSCF0992.jpg

DSCF1000.jpg

Kitty:

She’s OK. Again though she doesn’t look anything like the Kitty Pride I remember. There’s also the thing about her breasts being a bit too pronounced for a girl that young (she’s got bigger breasts than Emma Frost, a situation which is not consistent with the AH! Comiquette); that’s just nitpicking though... she’s a solid piece, in the right scale and showing about as much emotion as we’ve come to expect from Kitty, given the circumstance.
Score out of 10: 7.5

DSCF1044.jpg

DSCF1045.jpg

Lockheed:
Nice pose, nice paint job and very consistent with his look in the comics. He’e very light but that actually a good thing as it means he can balance easily with just the contact his tail makes with the base. Lockheed actually brings some welcome variety to this diorama, and I can see the entire piece looking a lot more boring without him... I guess that’s why they chose to use Kitty, as it meant we’ll get Lockheed as an extra!

Less is sometimes more as they say.. and it's certainly true here with Lockheed.

Score out of 10: 8.0

The rest of the sentinel piece is also quite nice actually... it’s a lot lighter than than other bases (around 3 Kgs lighter) and in fact the #3 diorama comes in a rather small shipping box. The smallest I’ve had from Sideshow so far.

Last edited:
nice work. i would have liked to see them in some additional arrangements to find interesting ways to display them

Great review!

BTW, you don't happen to have a 1:6 figure you could stand next to the #1 and snap a photo, do you? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this thing' relative size....

since your so damn helpful, would you mind sending these three to me so i can see how i'd be able to display them in my situtation.:naughty

you know, i'd hate to spend this kinda $$$ and not know for sure if i'd be able to display them properly:banana:banana

since your so damn helpful, would you mind sending these three to me so i can see how i'd be able to display them in my situtation.:naughty

you know, i'd hate to spend this kinda $$$ and not know for sure if i'd be able to display them properly:banana:banana

Send ur grls over Doug :naughty

Since you have these handy, how about measuring Colossus, from head to toe?

Nice work on the review, but you should probably rotate your pictures before posting. If you have Windows XP, just open them in Windows Picture and Fax viewer, and click one of the rotate icons.

lol :lol these characters are chosen because this is ASTONISHING X-MEN.
https://www.just-marvel-x-men.com/image-files/astonishing-x-men-1-100k.jpg

And how can colossus be 1/5th scale when the dios are in 1/7th - 1/8th ?

Thanks Nash... I never really got into Astonishing X-Men, so sorry if I'm so naieve :monkey3

Just did some reading up on Wikipedia so the character rooster seems about right:

1-3 Cyclops, Emma Frost, Beast, Wolverine, Shadowcat, Lockheed
4-19 Cyclops, Emma Frost, Beast, Wolverine, Shadowcat, Lockheed, Colossus
20-24, Giant-Sized Astonishing X-Men 1 Cyclops, Emma Frost, Beast, Wolverine, Shadowcat, Lockheed, Colossus, Armor
25-future Cyclops, Emma Frost, Beast, Wolverine, Armor, Storm

As for the scale thing - mate I really have no clue the exact scale of the X-Men v Sentinel characters! and I honestly didn't mean to sound like an authority at all.. because I know next to nothing compared to some of the follk on here. I was only saying, that next to other 1/6th or 1/7th figures, Colossus looks on the large side? then again he is colossus... so we'd expect him to be much bigger than a female character in the same scale...

ASTONISHING%20X-MEN_6image_big.jpg

Whole point of the review was to provide anyone looking for some info on these pieces some more detail, from a collector perspective. I know the reviews on here and SF have helped me in the past, and I was only trying to share my experience

Back