www.hottoysonlinestore.com is a scam (Unofficial Hot Toys web-shop--legit?)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Unofficial Hot Toys web-shop--legit?

I like all the newbs that have registered and posted the last couple days almost the same thing.

You're point being ?
Isn't it good to see other cases and know that you aren't alone with your situation ?

I have some very bad news for the people who have not received their items yet. File a PayPal claim *immediately*, because you will probably not receive your figures!

I've followed this thread closely, carefully contemplating if I would risk ordering from www.hottoysonlinestore.com. When I read posts from many people on this, and other forums, receiving their items, I decided to place an order with them.

On Friday, Feb 3 I placed an order for 4 items, with EMS shipping:
-Hot Toys MMS 117 Terminator 2 T800
-Hot Toys DX02 The Dark Knight Batman
-Hot Toys MMS 103 Wolverine
-Hot Toys DX01 The Dark Knight Joker

I got a response through mail from "Dave" that my offer would be accepted, but on the condition that he needed at least one week before shipping the items. He needed the money to be cleared from PayPal to his bank account.

At this point, several alarms went off in my head, but I already had a strong suspicion that his site never actually had any items in stock, and needed to buy the items off local retailers/contacts before they could send them. This would explain all the delays, and cancellations which had been reported.

As this was well within PayPal's 45-day claim limit, I decided to risk it.

On the 9th of february, I received an update mail, informing me that the money still was not cleared in the bank, but that the shipping date was estimated to Tuesday Feb. 14th.

On the 14th I received a valid EMS tracking number, as promised, and for a moment I felt relieved.

Today, I went to pick up the "package" at my local postal office and the attached images show what I received;

An envelope with about 10 pages of random, illegible documents. The envelope is marked "TOY", as you can see.

I have sent an e-mail informing "Dave" to explain the situation within 12 hours, or I will report his site to local authorities. I do not expect to receive a reply, as the people behind this operation are most likely long gone by now.

For me this will probably just be a matter of wasted time, as I will most likely get reimbursed by PayPal anyway. What I don't understand is the amount of effort spent on this whole scam operation, as well as the risks these guys are taking with all the electronic trails left behind.

Between the domain registration, e-mail and paypal accounts, postal shipments, forum registrations etc, these guys should be possible to track down by local authorites, even if they are hiding behind proxies and operating from Internet Cafe's.

A message to the administrators of this forum: Please keep a backup of the IP-addresses used by the user 'HTOS', pending further investigation.

Last edited:

I like all the newbs that have registered and posted the last couple days almost the same thing.

I was waiting for someone to say that. If all these guys aren't shills for this company I will eat my hat.

I was waiting for someone to say that. If all these guys aren't shills for this company I will eat my hat.

The "new guys", are probably just victims of the scam operation, such as myself. They are still waiting for their packages, which will probably never arrive. Also, I truly believe several of these earlier posters have in fact received their items. The operators behind the scam were just biding their time, waiting for the big orders, such as the poor guy who ordered 24(!) items from them.

To the people who have placed orders at the hottoysonlinestore site, and not received their items: please file a Cyber Crime report at the Hong Kong Police Force website (Link). Filed under e-Report Room->Report Cyber Crime

Even tough you may get your money back through PayPal or your local bank affiliate, several reports will ensure that this scam gets priority and will help bring the site down. Provide details on all the transactions. If your order was placed with EMS shipping, report the local postal office being used, along with local time and dates. These offices will have surveillance cameras, and if we're lucky, they will be caught on one of them.

Last edited:

Well got my Classic Predator.

what country are you in darioz?

I don't doubt that you did receive your items. Several trusted people, have had good results with them, but I believe they were waiting for the right opportunity to jump ship. I'm located in Norway btw.

I don't doubt that you did receive your items. Several trusted people, have had good results with them, but I believe they were waiting for the right opportunity to jump ship. I'm located in Norway btw.

It wouldn't be the first time a seller scammed their customers by delivering on early orders only to shoot through when a large bundle of cash rolls in. I hope this isn't the case here.

It wouldn't be the first time a seller scammed their customers by delivering on early orders only to shoot through when a large bundle of cash rolls in. I hope this isn't the case here.

Surely they would need a hell of a lot of orders for it to be worth the hassle though?!

maybe those of us who got their figures should all compare details found on our packages? who shipped and from where etc.
At least that will eliminate one of the possible theories.

Surely they would need a hell of a lot of orders for it to be worth the hassle though?!

It might just be a question of opportunity and available resources... I don't have the latest on the Addicted2Collecting saga, but my impression was that this member delivered on a few items, but shot through on a lot of others. But yeh, considering the effort and risk that would go into this kind of fraud, I know I wouldn't try it out.

maybe those of us who got their figures should all compare details found on our packages? who shipped and from where etc.
At least that will eliminate one of the possible theories.

Yeh good idea - and no offense to newer members who are legit, but newer members who have recently joined this forum with the express intent of posting a positive buying experience might not provide the best indicator of the shop's legitimacy.

I'll take my pic and get it ready in the morin.

Can everybody who got their order delivered all safe and sound do the same please?

Is he responding to any of your emails? He has not contacted me in a few days about my figures.

OK this is really freaking me out, I just emailed Dave after reading the last few pages of updates.. I demanded he has a explanation & for him to explain himself on this thread.. I know I'm backed by paypal but I'm still hoping for the best..

So it has come to that at last...

People said it had "come" many weeks ago when someone first reported a lost figure and yet after that there was still people ordering and receiving figures and completely happy, thus I don't think these recent reports can automatically be said to mean the store has taken the money and run, like they've decided to play their final card or something.

I don't mean to stick up for the store, I definitely wouldn't order from them myself after all the bad reports, but several people have suggested that the store might be some sort of group of sellers (of the variety you see on eBay) gathering under one storefront. If that's the case, if there's a problem I would say it wouldn't automatically mean the entire store is running a scam, it could just be an issue with a particular seller.

Anyhow, I always enjoy reading these threads, all the drama and intrigue, fascinating it is. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how it turns out for that guy who ordered 24 figures...

I don't mean to stick up for the store, I definitely wouldn't order from them myself after all the bad reports, but several people have suggested that the store might be some sort of group of sellers (of the variety you see on eBay) gathering under one storefront. If that's the case, if there's a problem I would say it wouldn't automatically mean the entire store is running a scam, it could just be an issue with a particular seller.

I think Angolz runs sort of the same way doesn't it?

I'm very much looking forward to seeing how it turns out for that guy who ordered 24 figures...

That'd be Golion, who is at this moment freaking out and waiting for a reply from Dave. Hope it all works out!

I think Angolz runs sort of the same way doesn't it?

I'm not sure, I never noticed anything like that. I've ordered from Angolz maybe 30 times and it seems just like any other store and so I wouldn't think they operated like that. From what I recall, things are always in an Angolz box, same type of inflate pillow protection, etc, etc, suggesting it's all working from the one warehouse/store. Seemed to be legitimate, maybe even more so, than Amazon.com, something like that. Have you ordered from Angolz before? I recommend them. I haven't ordered from them in a while (their pricing has gotten less competitive of late) but all my past orders were perfect.

Back